Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

Ah, nice. I can imagine a Halifax cockpit could cause a bit of domestic discord!

By safe, I take it you mean all radium dials, etc have been decontaminated. Interestingly we now use Radium-223 as a treatment for patients with prostate cancer.

Hi Gus,

Ah well, she knows me . :wub:   For every luminous (radium) instrument there was also a fluorescent (intended for UV light) version, just a matter of seeking out the ones you want.

Health is a serious matter.

Cees

• Like 1

Thanks Cees, that's interesting to know. I didn't realise they did fluorescent versions as well.

The radium dials have been a bit of a hot topic here in Scotland as they have found radium contamination on Dalgety Bay beach as the nearby Donibristle airfield was used to dismantle many old airframes at the end of the war and a lot of the dials were just buried. Unfortunately, as is often the case, the politicians making the most noise about it are the ones with the least understanding of the actual radiation protection issues. 'Don't eat the sand' would be a good message - bit like Frank Zappa and the yellow snow! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DannyVM

Next in my collection : HGU-55/P with green MBU-12/P mask. Belonged to a pilot of 311 Squadron Volkel based Netherlands Air Force.

7UYhTWNl.jpg

CgBAjall.jpg

yMWXt58l.jpg

GS1iOPnl.jpg

bpcQ15El.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

The 'Head Hunter' claims another scalp!

Very cool Danny, these must take up quite a bit of display room. Where do you get the polystyrene heads by the way?

Indeed, another victim for my trophy chamber.:D

They take less display room then a 1/32 model, but still i'm out of display capability for the moment. The heads are from a local shop which sells mannequins for fashion stores.

Guest DannyVM

I suppose it's more of a height issue with these, rather than the area they take up, Danny. Think volume rather than floor plan!

Do you have a photo of them all together in the cabinet?

You hit the nail on the head, height is indeed more prominent than volume. Still those Ikea display cases do fit for the job.

ABAuQbrl.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm a weak man, I have to admit it. I made a deal with myself, not getteng me a "Dottie Mae" from Eduard, because I already have a 1/48 Jug Limited Edition with some add ons like barrels, a resin engine and HGW stencils, but then there was the Jug for less than 60€, and I was not enough a man to resist. So here she is , the result of that weak moment and will be build with the only addition of some Master Barrels. I'm feeling bad about feeling good ;)

Cheers Rob

P1140051.thumb.JPG.a1e0f08602a65b9d2b92bf82fb0bcef1.JPGP1140052.thumb.JPG.2cffe356f36d8e47c0a184e562da6143.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Guest DannyVM

Postman just brought this to my doorstep.

HGU-2 three piece ramshorn helmet, repro.

In the colors of the Frecce Tricolori Italian Aerobatic team, belonging to Lt.Col. Ivo Nutarelli who was one of the three pilot's who crashed at the Ramstein Air Show, Germany in 1988. Lt.Col. Nutarelli was flying Pony 10 when it hit two other planes when performing the pierced arrow maneuver resulting in a crash right into the public earea.

NGvRqrGl.jpg

UOD2Ez4l.jpg

7WpLXrWl.jpg

kye8fOyl.jpg

7oc0Nzzl.jpg

For now, i need to look out for a MBU-5/P oxygen mask. I just wanted to display the whole set for a moment with German issued MBU-5/P mask, so this is not historical correct.

xjdPpvHl.jpg

zP9nCKxl.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Way to go Maverick!

Cees

Hmmm......Maverick, not really my cup of tea, character based on a fictive person. I rather stick to the real deal here:D:D:D

But i like your comment Cees:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Greetz

Danny

Ladieees and Gentlemeeeen, for this one I need a little of your imaginative powers. Last week I ordered the Scammell Artillery Tractor from Thunder Models. While doing so my first thought was to get the more 'spectacular' looking Recovery version, but then I instantly remembered a great book I bought some years ago about creating fantasy scenes. i will build the Scammell as a circus truck for some weird clowns, wearing medival clothes and looking mean and badass. Combined with some alterations to the truck (maybe a little steampunk) and adding lots of strange details will hopefully lead to something like the initial picture in my head.

I will put Crazy Clown Time from David Lynch on my turntable and refine the idea. 

Cheers Rob

P1140397.thumb.JPG.0a1c10af811dab09d979106cc7d524a7.JPG

• Like 1

Guest DannyVM

Today, i just gave myself a long time wanna have present. Maybe not real LSM, but certainly large enough to put it on the shelf, box and model.

I lost my chance to buy the Bismarck platinum edition, so i got a second chance with this one.

QNzH4Xcl.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Nice catch Danny. Just watched a documentary last night on BBC4 about the 617 squadron operation to sink her.

Thank's mate, sadly didn't see that, but read about it. It was by the use of the Tall Boy bomb's if i remember correctly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest DannyVM

Hi Guy's,

Today i got a real gem into my hands, off course, it's flight geare related......i know.....boring

I had the opportunity to buy this from a good friend, he wanted this to get in good hands, so he chose to sell it to me for a good price.

This is an original APH-6 helmet with MS 22001 oxygen mask, used by a pilot who flew on A-6A Intruder with VA-196 "Main Battery" during his Vietnam tour.

I'm still in some research to know more about the aircraft carrier used at that moment, but i presume that it was in the time frame 1968-1969.

6MoRiCrl.jpg

Yab3AZWl.jpg

sD7H5Uyl.jpg

JaganrJl.jpg

Hji3Dmil.jpg

My display case got his most unique item today, glad to have it.

2IXxJX6l.jpg

sEfjBgYl.jpg

Greetz

Danny