The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 Eduard E1 "White12" 2./JG53 France, August 1940

BevanBrooks

DSCF0338_zpsxouj0c7u.jpg

Wing join has been bit of a bitch. No gap on one side and a gap on the other, you can just see it next to the clamp.

DSCF0339_zpsdubptyab.jpg

The cocktail stick is wedged in to raise the height of the top wing half to the same level as the wing root.

DSCF0340_zps58t070kn.jpg

This join is rather ugly, but not as bad as the last one I did.

DSCF0897_zps99685c64.jpg

Or is it??!!

The wings have no dihedral at all, so I used masking tape from wingtip to wingtip to bring the tips up a little. On measuring the height of the tips from the bench top one was much higher than the other, but there was no gaps at the roots. I released the offending tip a little and got equal heights although this resulted in the gap at the root I've now got to deal with. We'll get there in the end.

Thanks for looking, Bevan

• Like 1

You'll get there chief. I recognise the cocktail stick trick, I recall doing the same.....my Emil rear join was like your 2nd pic. Near identical.

Such a double-edged sword- ultra fine rivet detail but they design it with that insane rear wing to fuselage join......

It'll all be forgotten once you're laying on that RLM65!

Regards,

Dan M

Fuselage all buttoned up and lost rivet and panel line detail restored.

DSCF0341_zpsgh410dlv.jpg

DSCF0344_zpsefmksf2w.jpg

DSCF0342_zps53lmxuqx.jpg

Only used super glue and accelerator for the gaps.

DSCF0343_zpsegk7ybgd.jpg

The rear part of the cockpit where the stowage compartment is was 5 min epoxied in so I could get it into position, it kept falling through the hole.

Thanks for looking, cheers Bevan

• Like 2

Great work Bevan. I've got halfway through an Eduard E-3 with all the same problems. Frustrating that some areas are so good then others so bad.

Interesting that you've got a 2 tone kit as well. Mine was all beige and the 2 weekend versions in the stash are also all over beige.

Keep going, looks like your through the worse.

Great work Bevan. I've got halfway through an Eduard E-3 with all the same problems. Frustrating that some areas are so good then others so bad.

Interesting that you've got a 2 tone kit as well. Mine was all beige and the 2 weekend versions in the stash are also all over beige.

Keep going, looks like your through the worse.

Thanks Aaron, yeah I was surprised at the different coloured plastic as well. At a loss to explain that one! I guess sometimes it's good to be challenged in the building stages, you really know your modelling then. Also keeps the skill levels up and is pretty rewarding when it turns out well.

I think the idea behind the olive/beige plastic to be a base of RLM 02 which, in the early stages, was what they were primed in.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I can hear you all saying "what the hell has he been doing!" Half an hour here half an hour there in between finishing off an Academy 1/72 F35 Lightning in Aussie markings for my neighbour, glad that's finished

Paint is on. The top wing 02 pattern was taken from a top view of an E4 in one of Kagero's Battle of Britain mini top colours 26 for lack of any better reference

DSCF0346_zps9ekvxyqu.jpg

DSCF0347_zpsutypd0hq.jpg

DSCF0348_zpsmh23iyjr.jpg

DSCF0349_zpslukdfpiy.jpg

DSCF0350_zpscci1gjh9.jpg

DSCF0351_zpseoesfy10.jpg

Chipping on the wing roots was done by laying down Tamiya Xf11 flat aluminium enamel. Humbrol Maskol was sponged on then painted with the camo colours. It has been slightly rubbed to get a more feathered edge may need a little more.

Decals next, should really come alive then. During this I'll mask and paint the canopy.

Thanks for looking Bevan.

• Like 4

Cheers Guy's, seem to have a roll on this one....

DSCF0362_zpsqjbwy3gl.jpg

DSCF0363_zpscqpr8lq7.jpg

DSCF0361_zpsqzufw1dw.jpg

Not a lot of evidence of stencils being applied to these birds I suppose because of their unique paint schemes. I applied what I could see in the Kagero art work and guessed what wasn't on them from other art work if that makes any sense!

Spent the afternoon with a toothpick going over the panel lines and a pin to re rivet the decals.... may have to start trying those wiz bang paint mask thingy's.

Cheers Bevan

• Like 3

Forgive me for butting in Bevan, 

Punching a bit above my weight but here is a photo of my Eduard E-4 build last year with the blast tube. I created it from a cotton bud tube, obviously removed the cotton from each end, drilled out a bit more and cut to length:

imagejpg13_zpsf887cf02.jpg

Regards,

Kent