The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

AW Whitley Mk V, a journey

Thanks Chaps,

I won't admit that yesterday I ripped the rudders apart again. Ooops,I said it :o

The top of the rudders slope inward to a relatively sharp end.

Mine were too square. So out came the knife and sandpaper again. So the rudders need again covering with alutape. I don't

mind as they will be improved. But where will it end. :huh:

A shake and bake kit would be nice sometimes.
Cees

Small update (no pics this time yet)

Got very essential information from Alex Kontivis yesterday. His 1/48 build inspired me to do it in our scale.

Very nice guy and a master modeller, thanks Alex. He sent copies of the Air Publication on Whitleys.

Now I have sufficient information on the trimtabs, rudder mass balance and fin root fairings.

Pics soon.

Cees

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

HI all,

Time flies, almost a month since the last update. Well phase one of this journey has been completed.

I have just finished the tailplane of the Whitley. They say the devil is in the detail but that is oh so true.

It took me a lot of time studying photographs to see how the fin to tailplane fairings looked like, same

for the trimtab actuators and finally the rudders themselves. Didn't realise that the Whitley used simple

cable operated rudders. What I at first thought to be balance arms are in fact sturdy outriggers where the

steel cables are fitted onto. Through a slot in the fin leading edge they go over a pulley down. Using aluminium

tape is sometime difficult to see things clearly because of the reflection and made me sometimes crosseyed. :huh:

Thanks to Alex Kontiveis and Elliott Smock from the Whitley Project who provided me with important information.

The Whitley is probably one of the least documented types of RAF Bomber Command.

Here are the pics. All I need to do is some cleaning up and a coat of primer. Then what...ah the fuselage.

Well, masters for the fuselage. That's another journey to start. But it's fun.

Cheers
Cees

image_zpsd422782f.jpg

image_zpsedbb0393.jpg

image_zps2436d8a7.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks chaps,

It itched so badly I had to scratch :huh:

This evening I sprayed the parts with a first coat of dark grey paint. It really blends in the various materials. I am very

very pleased how the rib tapes turned out. They are very subtle, as they should be. The coat of paint also revealed

that some more polishing need to be done as scratches and sanding marks are evident, but nothing major. That's

the purpose of that paintcoat after all.

Here are the pics, the parts are sitting on the next phase of this journey, the balsa beams from which i hopefully

can whittle some fuselage masters. But that another story.

Cheers

Cees

image_zpsffc5e19e.jpg

image_zps8d4522d3.jpg

image_zps3d7297ea.jpg

image_zpsd88f363b.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...