The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

AW Whitley Mk V, a journey

Famous last words. I made a booboo yesterday scribing the trimtabs on the rudders. I slipped and

The edges were a mess. Had to cut them out, including the elevators. This actually is a good

Thing as the tabs go up when the elevators are down such as when parked. You learn

All the time.

Cees

No beercan this time,

Wouldn't want people to get the wrong impression about my other pursuits. ;)

Here's another short update, the tailfins have the undersides sanded to the aerofoil of the tailplanes. They

now fit snugly on top of them. Will need to insert some wire to give the joint more strenght later.

You can also see the cut outs for the trimming tabs, these will be added later and set an angle to

give some "live" to them. Slowly but surely we're getting there.

The fuselage shapes will be made from balsa. They will serve as moulds for vacuumforming. After the tail is finished

that's the next project.

Grant,

One Condor, so two are a Condor Legion????? :banned:

Cees

image_zps45c65df9.jpg

image_zpsf3d082b2.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm nobody replied, why do I bother ;)  :D

But it has been a while since the last update, that doesn't mean I have been sitting doing nothing though.

Great progress has been made on the tailplanes. I got a tip from PH-GEO to represent the fabric on the

surface why not use ......tape. Why not, I had some aluminium tape left from the kitch floor. It worked a treat.

The last few days were spent to cut all those tiny not to mention shiny strips. Sometimes it made me cross-eyed B)

The elevators are now glued in place at an angle and the trimtabs as well. It really is looking like a Whitley tailplane.

Nex to do the two tailfins and then the tailplanes are as good as done.

Tomorrow off to Heiden Germany with Jeroen and One oh Four, will be a blast

Cees

image_zps4a20fbe7.jpg

image_zpsd854b7ee.jpg

• Like 2

• Administrators

Would you give those tapes and tailplane a thin coat of Mr Surfacer to build up the surface between the tailplane and tape tops?

Looking mighty good, and I can't imagine this one being in injection mould variety for a while yet.

Hi James,

Yes I plan to do that, first to give the whole area a smooth surface and to blend in the strips. Also to make sure the strips stay

firmly in place. Wouldn't want to have some come loose later.

Any tips are welcome.

Mr Surfacer is on my shopping list tomorrow.
Cees

Cees! It was  pleasure to meet you as well. We should have had more time, but hey, it's a start. Hope you got back home safely. Now this I'm going to foliow with great interest, Jeroen P showed me some of the pictures earlier but a first hand report is unbeatable! Great stuff so far. Get some rest and have a nice evening, speak to you soon! Cheers!

Jeez, look what happens when I don't look in for a while?? there's huge amount of delicious content for me to catch up on.  Fabulous work Cees .. I'm fascinated with how you do these things.

Thanks Grant,

Just to show that this is not rocket science. I just do what I have read about in the various modelling magazines,

Looking at skilled modellers and just by trial and error. The fuselage masters will be the next big hurdle.

Cees

Another update,

Well phase one is almost finished! The taifins have their rib tapes applied and couldn't contain myself and have just fitted the fins

onto the tailplanes.

Phew, it really is a journey,  :wub:

Apart from small details such as control surface actuators and the rudder mass balances it's finished. After the

small details are finished a coat of Mr Surfacer (that will be another first for me) will be applied to blend in the tapes and give

a good surface for later painting.

I'm chuffed ^_^

Cees

image_zpsaef19153.jpg

image_zps9270d68f.jpg

image_zps4e760757.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Back again, been quite busy. Scratchbuilding is a strange thing. At first you are overjoyed about what has been achieved and then something

starts nagging. A little voice in the back of your head makes you wonder and you start thinking. :huh:

Well, this is how it was last friday

image_zpsaef19153.jpg

And then I ripped everything off,  which did not go easily, which is a good thing. I thought the elevator

profiles were too rounded instead of flat as seen on photographs (always look at as many photographs as

you can get), and the strips didn't look right to me. They looked like strips of tape on a plastic surface. :(

I did put all new tape back on but after a small booboo scribing panellines, I had visions of

the bin beckoning me. I covered up the tapes with wide strips of tape and hey presto they look like

stretched fabric with rib tapes and in my humble opinion looks even better.

Well this is how it is now

Cees

image_zpsa4825e63.jpg

image_zpsdf869d19.jpg

image_zps973808bb.jpg

• Like 3