The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Bf 110D of II./NJG3 (1/32 Dragon)

Thank you for being my cheering section, gentlemen! :respect:

,.... So, final shots this weekend ?

Probably not going to make it over the weekend, but it could be close. I know I have at least one more solid day of work to do and it will depend on how that goes. We've been having horrible weather lately, also and I always prefer to take photos outdoors and would especially prefer to do so with this model, given the black undersurface, which seems to be a bit of a bitch to photograph in all but the perfect lighting/angles. IF the weather is good enough where the plane won't fly away on me and IF I can get it done within that window, then I'll try my hardest to do it. But, I've completely lost my confidence in weather men, too! :rolleyes:

Today, I was able to accomplish a few things, but mainly the gun sight and the rear gun/mount. For the sight, I used the Eduard Zoom parts and also added a power cable made from wire and drilled out the light and replaced with with polished, clear sprue. It's hard to see in the photos.

20151205_143408_zps6v87qych.jpg

20151205_164849_zpspui3r3jq.jpg

For the rear gun, I added the Aber barrel parts, but I also modified the mount, removing the shroud and building the frame that was underneath from scrap plastic and wire. I didn't like the looks of the kit's gun shroud, so I decided to go without one, as many 110s often didn't have them and I found a decent picture showing what it looked like without the shroud in place.

20151205_104532_zpsqtajq7r3.jpg

20151205_110808_zpsl444ggvc.jpg

20151205_164717_zpsd0m03qwm.jpg

So, I only have to finish the gear, add the gear doors, slats, rest of the canopy, antennas/pitot tube, lights, possibly "weight" the wheels and some more touch-ups, and I'll be done. Actually, that's still quite a bit. LOL

Thanks again,

John

• Like 3

Calling this one done. I'm going to try to get some outdoor shots this week and, if I can do that, I'll post them in the Completed Builds forum.

I want to thank you guys again for a very warm welcome on this forum, as well as all the input and encouragement along the way for this build. It's been very fun. Now, I just have to decide on what will be next (although, I will probably have to knock out another commissioned 1/48 build in the meantime).

Thanks again!

John

Me110C1-NJG3-Schleswig%20ONE%20CROPPED_z

Indoor%201_zpslmoubozx.jpg

Indoor%202_zpsad9txkdy.jpg

Indoor%203_zpslaesepao.jpg

Indoor%204_zpsq6g1c7p4.jpg

Indoor%205_zpsjt8wyhpw.jpg

Indoor%207_zpsxg5i42ey.jpg

Indoor%209_zpszkrzidaf.jpg

Indoor%2010_zpsicv3ql0k.jpg

• Like 5

Now that's something to look at, fantastic work John. It may be the lighting, but I really love the natural 'sheen' of your paintjob and the restraint but very convincing weathering.

Congrats on finishing (and in such a short time frame).

• Like 1

Thanks for your support and encouragement, everyone!

Now that's something to look at, fantastic work John. It may be the lighting, but I really love the natural 'sheen' of your paintjob and the restraint but very convincing weathering.

Congrats on finishing (and in such a short time frame).

Wouter,

Funny you mention the "sheen" of the finish, as this was something that I hoped would come across as realistically as possible. However, it was a part of the build that had it's "ups and downs", so to speak. When I first completed the basic painting, I added a semi gloss coat over the already semi-gloss paint. Normally, I wouldn't have done that, but I wanted to create a barrier for the oil weathering that came immediately afterwards. That turned out to not work quite as well as I had hoped, or rather TOO well, as the oils wouldn't penetrate the semi-gloss as well as I had hoped for, so it took a lot longer to build up the oils for the effect I was after (and still wish they would have "cut back" the paint a lot more than I was able to achieve). So, I ended up shooting a flat coat, to which the oils seemed to stick to, much better, but then had to shoot yet another flat coat to seal them in. This plane appears to have a fairly worn top surface, so the original semi-gloss finish isn't so shiny as a more factory-fresh plane would have been, but I didn't want to lose that sheen, entirely. It worked out in the end, though, as the original semi-gloss coat seems to help it retain a little bit of that shine and I like the way it turned out, in that regard.

Thanks again, everyone! I am going to attempt to shoot some outdoor photos, today (the only day for possibly the next few months that I may be able to do so!) and will post them in the completed builds section(s) when I'm finished.

Cheers,

John

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

stunning work, love it...  

I'm currently doing the C-7 out of the box, but replaced the MG barrels like yourself... bloody ribs in the wheel well are driving me bonkers though atm.. just not getting the directions lol 

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments, guys. I just came back from a modeling hiatus of several months and saw your posts. Much appreciated!

Oh very sweet!!! a 1/32 revell Bf 110G4 landed in my lap...dirt cheap to....so had to have it.....now to stash it or build it...that is the question???

I built the Revell G about 20 years ago. Not a bad kit for it's age, but it just really shows it's age, if you know what I mean. I would drive myself crazy trying to build it up to anywhere near today's standards (industry, as well as my own). I keep holding on to hope that there will be a new tool kit of the G coming. Hopefully soon!

stunning work, love it...  

I'm currently doing the C-7 out of the box, but replaced the MG barrels like yourself... bloody ribs in the wheel well are driving me bonkers though atm.. just not getting the directions lol 

That's one area where the instructions are really poor, for sure. I got them in without too much trouble. Even though I'm pretty sure they're not "correct", I don't have anything to really go on that would show what "correct" really is! I'll have to go find your build. I really liked this kit and enjoy seeing it being built. I don't think it gets enough recognition for how good of a kit it really is, overall.

Thanks again,

John