The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

I'm in the process of getting all of the internals painted up and am really looking forward to getting it all zipped up

20160125_130929_zps3vpgxfjq.jpg

I'm not sure yet if I want to have the bomb bay doors open but as there is a lot of nice detail in there I think I'll paint it all up and make my mind up after that.

Hopefully the next update will be with the halves glued together ( but don't hold your breath lol )

Pete

Beautiful work pete, I see Fluffy mk2.0 is keeping an eye on things

Cheers Jas,

That's Fluffy 2.1 you have spotted mate, he's pulling the strings on this build and helping me out.

Left to my own devices the wings would end up back to front lol

From left to right

Fluffy 1.0, Fluffy 2.0 and fluffy 2.1

20160126_110127_zps1pezidty.jpg

Pete

• Like 1

That pit looks very nice Peter. Where did you get the info to paint the ammo boxes green?

I painted mine aluminium to give some colour in an otherwise drab interior.

Cees

Thanks Cees,

To totally honest I assumed the ammo boxes would have been OD but just sprayed them with interior green as that was in the cup.

I'm really trying to keep the research to a bare minimum as I have a chequered past in this regard and know I will end up obsessing over corrections and missing details and the build will stall ( I have OCD big time lol ) I already went googling after I saw your post to find pics of the side pod ammo boxes and you are spot on they do look aluminium with what looks like plywood ? Fronts.

I was all set to repaint but from pics that I have I dont think that Ave Maria had the side pods so I guess the correct thing to do would be to leave these out ?

Not sure what to do, maybe I'll repaint them and see how they look.

Can you remember if much can be seen of them when viewed through the canopy Cees ?

I really appreciate you pointing it out though mate as although I've said I'm being a bit lean on references these days, I still like to know if I've gone wrong and have the opportunity to correct it or at least have it saved in the memory bank for future builds

Pete

Very nice progress Pete. The painting and weathering is amazing!

Thanks Fabian, I'm trying so hard to keep it reigned in as if I don't watch it I'll end up back to my usual over the top ready for the scrap heap style lol.

Yes mate need to get as much progress as possible as when Nigel's package arrives I'm going to have my hands full with both builds

You have a full plate too mate ( lunar diver, Hind and the big HK kit ) busy few months ahead for both of us I reckon

Pete

Thanks Fabian, I'm trying so hard to keep it reigned in as if I don't watch it I'll end up back to my usual over the top ready for the scrap heap style lol.

Yes mate need to get as much progress as possible as when Nigel's package arrives I'm going to have my hands full with both builds

You have a full plate too mate ( lunar diver, Hind and the big HK kit ) busy few months ahead for both of us I reckon

Pete

Pete

Quite busy indeed, I even got a bit worried... but then remembered that building is nice quality time for myself. So being "busy" is a good thing ;-). I decided to go one by one, without to much overlay of the different build. If one isn't fun anymore I simply switch builds till the mojo kicks back in :-). Your mojo is flowing just fine as it seems, keep the pics coming mate!

Fuselage halves are together

Yeah right and I'm the Queen of Sheba !

Not much done today but it's my thread so I'm going to post the little bit of progress and it's not like I'm holding a gun to your heads and making you follow this lol

I painted the ammo belts for the rear guns the results in the pics are the second try as the first time I used brass but it just ended up looking a bit fake and too bright.

So I sprayed it again with Alclad pale gold and masked the shells with a thin strip of Tamiya tape and then sprayed with Duraluminum

20160126_121447_zpsc7kkof9d.jpg

It still looks a little off to my eyes but much better than the brass which was far too orange

20160126_121559_zpsxdxjsixm.jpg

• Like 1

The detail on the edges of the belts are a tiny bit soft but after a dark wash look pretty good

20160126_122854_zpsm40wodt1.jpg

I had a thought to add a tracer round every 5th one ( not sure if this is correct or even if this bird used them ) but need to find some info first

20160126_122901_zpshjrtujnr.jpg

I got some work done on the bombs too

20160126_152445_zpsawhiw1tc.jpg

The yellow band looks like a decal but it's painted on, I primed the bombs in white and then sprayed a yellow band and masked the stripe.

I think it looks like a decal because I was out of Matt yellow so had to use gloss and it went on much smoother than I would have liked, plus when I sprayed the main body of the bomb I did it at a distance to try and get a little bit of texture on it and the stripe stands out against it being so smooth, although the extreme magnification makes it look worse than it is

20160126_152517_zpsmkdipdje.jpg

im pretty sure that the stripe should be further foward on the nose of the bomb but I didn't fancy my chances of getting a decent line on a compound surface so I used the foward mounting hole on the back as the starting point door my masking to try and make sure that they ended up similar on all six bombs

20160126_152557_zpsanspsrhl.jpg

These are almost finished I just want to do a little more to the fins to define the detail a tiny bit

20160126_152749_zpsoag3efef.jpg

Cheers for looking in guys, hopefully I can get some proper bench time tomorrow and can continue to put you all to sleep with the monotony lol

Pete

Got the bomb bay painted up.

I really screwed the pooch when I sprayed the undercoat unfortunately and managed to end up with a grainy finish ( I really should have stripped it and started again, but oh well such is life ) not exactly sure how I did it but am guessing the primer needed a drop more thinner

20160127_114256_zpsi5559ftq.jpg

20160127_122428_zpsq63pns8f.jpg

the pictures are all over the place as I uploaded them when Photobucket was having its meltdown and they didn't go up in the order I took them, and I can't remember what stage I was at in the painting of them so I apologise for the lack of stage by stage explanation

20160127_122451_zpsztqfj9b9.jpg

20160127_133351_zpsdicpby3t.jpg

20160127_125534_zps6wglkufh.jpg

20160127_133539_zpsiqoo4bei.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Really enjoying this build thread. I'm just ahead of you, having just buttoned up the fuselage halves.

I'll watch closely to see how you handle the lost rivet detail which will likely result when you join/sand the two halves...

Re-make each rivet with a punch? Re-make each full line of rivets with a pounce-wheel? Re-surface the finished result?

Thanks for posting

Doug

SoCal

• 2 weeks later...