The Great LSP Twins Group Build Starts Jan 24, 2024 - End July 3, 2024 ×

Hey All,

The drive lines I needed to build were a bit on the fiddly side, a bit.  You already know about this build, a bunch of small parts 20 time each or so...

I first should show the building of the Mounting Collars.  Altho not all the parts are quite ready to be added to the build just yet, the parts for show are really simple and not to difficult to figure out.

The frame mounts are the triangle parts the are riveted to the frame.  The model only needed a few parts...I added the little mounting shelf to more match my ref photo.

IMG_2098_zpsdtgbsmqf.jpg

Next, to make the collar, I cut a small section of my soda straw.  I cut a simple ring to match the inside radios, and a bit larger on the outside to get a nice "lip" around the edges.

IMG_2099_zpsrc2agggz.jpg

Once I had my rings mounted to the straw, a small bridge to span the gap to finish the lip and a couple of Meng bolts...IMG_2103_zpssj6xqfld.jpg

To finish the construction of the Mounting Collars I still need to build the arms that link the collar to the triangle mounts.  I have painting and other things to mount before I can do thet tho.

The next thing was to start the tedious process of getting all this mounted together and ready to drop into the frame.  The parts for the drive shafts not to small for me to work with.  Again, a few repetitious numbers....

IMG_2111_zpsmix324ut.jpg

IMG_2109_zpscbnodrfl.jpg

To break up the numbers a bit I built the drive lines one at a time and did a primary install.  This next photo is one of the Gear Boxes, mounted to the Differential, with the spacer and Mounting Collar in the middle.  I have added the first Drive Shaft to the Gear Box...

IMG_2105_zpsbjesxkyz.jpg

IMG_2104_zpsda8m9rmr.jpg

The construction of the rest of the drive lines is the same, just different lengths.  I mounted all of this as provisionally I as could and still keep things together for the photos. 

In no special order...

IMG_2114_zpscdeb5liz.jpg

IMG_2116_zpszo9lmhw3.jpg

IMG_2115_zpsnxr91tn0.jpg

IMG_2113_zpsbx0zujml.jpg

I still have a ways to go just to get what's in the photos really secure and solid before I can glue it down.  This all fell apart for its photo session at least once..

Thats it for now, I have to secure all of this.  Be back later.  Stay Tuned.

Rich

Hey Everyone,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   I finally managed to get the bottom end of the Drive Train installed.  Because all of this is at the bottom of the frame, I had to finish each piece before I installed.  The way I work makes this a some what slower process...anyway.

The first parts to be painted and ready for install was the little side mounts for the bracing.  I thought it would be easier to paint as I went along down the frame....

IMG_2117_zpsd4yfnhr6.jpg

IMG_2126_zps5u3qjke5.jpg

I found some paint that said it was a "hammered metal" finish, that I thought would look cool under all the grime I was planning to add.  Good idea, bad results.  The paint turned out to be a sort of glitter paint, that a cheep date would wear as finger nail polish.

IMG_2118_zps0q5xy1qc.jpg

IMG_2119_zpsr4xwz7bn.jpg

I re-sprayed with a light grey color and all looked ok for what I was going to do.

IMG_2121_zpsdywdfjni.jpg

I did my pin washes, and stains before I set into the final position...

IMG_2125_zpst7ggl36e.jpg

Now all I had to do is march right down the line and paint and stain as I go...

IMG_2127_zpsrbsgdpjp.jpg

IMG_2129_zpsb9oukmjt.jpg

IMG_2134_zpshy5qfj5j.jpg

IMG_2132_zpsvmvvhd2c.jpg

IMG_2133_zpsegfz7eac.jpg

IMG_2131_zpsnnmu4n6h.jpg

IMG_2128_zpsn9oa65sm.jpg

All the inside of the frame still needs a bit of staining and powders, but I have been looking at this for to long.  I'll add a bit more later...

I have been playing around with the wheels and tires while I have been waiting for supplies.  I'm just about ready to try casting the tires.  I'll show ya.

Bye for now...Rich

I have installed the lateral cross braces that stiffen the frame.  I built the braces way back when I was putting the frame together. These braces are on the top side of the frame and I needed to install the drive line first before installing these. These are simple cross members made of styrene rod.

IMG_2136_zpsjaeppzha.jpg

This is just a bunch of photos of the drive line close up...I think I'm about done with the ageing of the inside of the frame...

IMG_2138_zpsnwaa5s4d.jpg

IMG_2140_zpskxwsknis.jpg

IMG_2141_zpspf2spdc1.jpg

IMG_2139_zps0dmhqc1b.jpg

IMG_2142_zpszmaefyzv.jpg

IMG_2143_zpscakxtbu9.jpg

IMG_2144_zpsgyriahll.jpg

I have started the construction of the Axle "U" joints.  I have eight drive axles to build, and the u-joints look to be a bit much...

On another front...I had to order more legos for the tire molds.  The tires where a bit overwhelming for the few legos that I was using to build the dam around the tire.  Thinking ahead a bit, it's time to get to back to the suspension.  I'm feeling a need to get the old girl up and on her feet.

Be Back Later...

Rich

• Like 2

I have finished with the drive axles.  These little things took a bit of time to build.  The nature of the parts were that I produced each one at a time.  Just a lot of filing and finishing. And don't ya know, when I installed these, they can't really be seen...

The parts...

IMG_2149_zpshmafjow8.jpg

Eight new Drive Axles...

IMG_2150_zpstgkqz9vf.jpg

IMG_2151_zpscu6q5fyt.jpg

Once I got these installed, a person barley notices 'em...

IMG_2153_zpsmtvpognt.jpg

IMG_2154_zpsbegftsmf.jpg

So that's the current state of affares with the frame ...On a different front...

I attempted my first mold for the tires...I poured the rubber at 1:00 in the afternoon.  I went to bed at around 9 pm.  During that time all looked well with the mold, no leaks and all the rubber was still in the mold.

I got up in the morning...

IMG_2147_zpsbr5mo5bu.jpg

IMG_2148_zps0uxfswh1.jpg

It took me about an hour to clean up the mess...I ended up with this...

IMG_2145_zpsiagbyofd.jpg

I spray varnished the heck out of the original, to the point that the rubber came off with some mineral spirits.  It took a bit of time to clean, but I'm ready for round two.

More photos to come...

Rich

Hey Guys,

So I got some new material for round two of casting the tires.  I didn't get to work on the build over the weekend, but yesterday and today I have built the wheel.  Well half a wheel anyway.

IMG_2156_zpsxkbptqja.jpg

IMG_2162_zps7doocnf9.jpg

IMG_2163_zpsiawfqmxh.jpg

IMG_2164_zpsqykjemcm.jpg

IMG_2165_zpseak4z9sj.jpg

IMG_2166_zps5os53in3.jpg

Be back with round two...

Later, Rich

Hey Guys,

Round two went great!  I had fresh supplies to work with, and I spent a bit of time getting the mold built correctly.

IMG_2168_zpsakup2u4x.jpg

IMG_2167_zpsqpqgpdta.jpg

A new resin tire...everything looks great.  

I'll be back with more later...Thanks All,

Rich

IMG_2169_zpsa2c8xedw.jpg

IMG_2170_zpsiwmdyypp.jpg

OK!  That's it.  I now have you guys up to date with the postings I have done.  You are on the same page as I am with this build.  I'll be back in a bit with more work on the tires.

Thanks All for looking,

Rich

Hey!,

This is sort of a short report for today.  I have been spending most of my time dealing with molds and castings.  In between all that i have working on the braking system and trying to find photos of the braking components.  

I started with building the air tanks...

The tank mounts...

IMG_2173_zpsvdiubywr.jpg

IMG_2179_zpseqpyys6a.jpg

I used a bit of clear straw for the main tank body...

IMG_2180_zpsmhpdq8fo.jpg

IMG_2181_zps6dnrubn5.jpg

IMG_2182_zpsznznzi4s.jpg

New air tanks.  I'll run the lines when I get ready to do the install.  While my mold are drying I have also started working on the compressors for the line and trying to find photos of how the line is laid out.

I have finished with casting the wheel fronts.  I have some cleaning up to do, and then these are ready for install.

IMG_2183_zpsau8wxhvw.jpg

Thanks everyone for watching,  be back later

Rich

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

So I left off with priming the air tanks.  I managed to get them installed and weathered.  Altho I might make things a bit dirtier under the frame.

The install was easy enough.  The air lines were in a cramped space, but I managed to get everything secured.

IMG_2189_zpsdyd4iq6u.jpg

IMG_2190_zpsbmmo1ia8.jpg

That was fun.  OMG! The pumps had way more parts than what they looked like they should have.  I spent a week just on these two items...what a slow process...

Parts...

IMG_2184_zpskf4v6bp7.jpg

I had to get a little creative again about the pump body.  My striped straw ( I have about an inch left to work with)  on the inside and a clear straw on the outside, to get the correct outside DIA.

IMG_2185_zpsit5xsacv.jpg

IMG_2186_zpsaohhltnq.jpg

IMG_2187_zpssyilx3og.jpg

Two new air pumps...

IMG_2188_zpsz2gtipvy.jpg

I next have to build the Moisture Separators for each pump.  I have to work on the Braking System before I can install the back side of the wheels.  Once the wheels are in the way, things get real tight space wise.

Thanks for watching...

Rich

• Like 2

Hey Guys,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    I have now completed with building the braking components. I felt I wanted to finish off the interior braking items, all the stuff inside the frame,  before I get back to dressing the tires.  I now have two air tanks,  two air pumps,  two filters,  and the brake actuator.

The filters...

IMG_2192_zps5abhpn10.jpg

IMG_2193_zpsa1iogawf.jpg

IMG_2194_zpsroz4vu5d.jpg

The two Air Tanks...

IMG_2204_zpsu6q8eh0t.jpg

The two pumps...

IMG_2188_zpsz2gtipvy.jpg

Lunch...

IMG_2199_zpsex3egvmy.jpg

The Brake Actuator...

IMG_2198_zpsiuoir84n.jpg

IMG_2201_zpsbnfjskcd.jpgIMG_2195_zpsikcpv7tq.jpg

IMG_2202_zpsal7legm1.jpg

IMG_2203_zpsw0m12fen.jpg

All together now...IMG_2205_zpsflepncwz.jpg

The install of these items is really straight forward...and then the plumbing between the items...

Be Back Later,

Rich

• Like 3

Hey Guys,

So while researching the brake run I discovered an interesting item.  I'm guessing some of you guys already knew about this and you were just waiting for me to run over myself with the bad info.

The MAZ has an Oil Brake system, not air.  I have built two oil tanks, two oil pumps, two oil filters, and an actuator.  I also ran across a MAZ factory oil run layout schematic. (for some reason it wont let paste it).  I used the MAZ drawing and then I drew my own oil run to scale with my build, using several photos from the junk yard to see where and how the line go.

IMG_2207_zpscua86jyu.jpg

IMG_2208_zpsyvyzbqb4.jpg

IMG_2206_zpsbbz5zfit.jpg

Now that I have the proper info, I have to figure out where the lines are connected on each item, and how to render the line connections.  At this point I'm spending more time researching than building.

IMG_2209_zpsqiswxgpb.jpg

Be back later when I get things worked out.

Rich

• Like 1

Hey, Thanks everyone for getting me over a thousand views.

I've been working on tires this week.  I needed to order some more supplies, so brakes are on hold for now.

I had a bit of sanding to do on the tires. I wanted the treads to blend into the sidewall, remove the cast seams as good as possible, and just generally clean them up.

Nine new tires...

IMG_2211_zps4jehi0x3.jpg

filing to get things "used"...

IMG_2214_zpsnswsaxtl.jpg

A dirty old tire...

IMG_2215_zpspwlk6pu2.jpg

IMG_2216_zpscxex0wcd.jpg

IMG_2217_zpsggfi7mrb.jpg

I'll probably have the tires finished by the time the new supplies show up.  I still have the inside wheel cover to design and build, so I can attach the brake lines.

Be back with a pile of tires...

Rich

• Like 3

Hey Guys,

I was a little bored with working on tires so I took a break and built the Hot Water tank and Pump for the Internal Cabin Heater.  

I really had a hard time finding any info on this item.  The Model-Kom kit did not include this item.  The Trumpeter kit did not include this item.  The E63 kit was the only kit that addressed this issue.  However I still had no photos of this, so I just sort of went with what the E63 model had described.

IMG_2220_zpsp5vdbist.jpg

The build...

IMG_2218_zps6y1b8kwa.jpg

IMG_2221_zpskw4f3avg.jpg

IMG_2222_zpsqjcd5ec1.jpg

IMG_2223_zpsaamne0hy.jpg

IMG_2225_zps8dzdhpuk.jpg

IMG_2226_zpswvrvg31v.jpg

IMG_2228_zpsvrfhqd5z.jpg

IMG_2227_zpslaykb2al.jpg

I guess I'll go back to working on the tires and the back hubs.  More photos later.

Rich

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for tagging along...

Hey You All,

It's been a long week of building.  I keep finding things I need to do before I install the tires.  I almost forgot that I had to install the rear suspension rocker arms before, I install the plumbing, before I install the back hubs... 

I'm not really sure why this part of the build seemed to take so long to work with.  Just a lot of small parts, and a lot of small cuts.

I had several rocker arms to choose from as far as the design of the look.  I liked the design of the Trumpeter kit part, and to find photos was easy.  I just had to adapt the paper patterns to look like the example that I was going to build.

The parts...

IMG_2233_zps3sakb2zw.jpg

IMG_2234_zpsila6tqbk.jpg

IMG_2238_zpsmn7fejww.jpg

IMG_2239_zps0achuz9y.jpg

IMG_2236_zpsakprcqry.jpg

I had to do a bunch of test fitting of these rear parts...

IMG_2235_zps79whk6hp.jpg

IMG_2240_zpswhy3mujt.jpg

IMG_2245_zpsxhjnzf6o.jpg

These are the pass through collars that support this axle...

IMG_2242_zps6off2hse.jpg

IMG_2243_zpseyb7morm.jpg

I used 0.05 rod to line the openings...

IMG_2241_zpsrpfjbaaw.jpg

Punching a really big hole in the side of the frame was a bit stressful to say the least...

IMG_2244_zps2bloqya5.jpg

Dry fit the entire system...

IMG_2246_zpsnp0fl4o1.jpg

A bit of behind weathering...

IMG_2248_zpsxulumnhd.jpg

IMG_2249_zpsg19qzdo4.jpg

IMG_2250_zpsgurxfkxy.jpg

The materials I was waiting for to build the plumbing showed up right in the middle of this chapter.  But I needed to finish.  I can now get back to my brake line plumbing, I hope...

I'll be back when I figure out what I'm doing...

Rich

• Like 2

It's getting a bit crowded in there!  Lots of small parts to fit inside an ever-shrinking space...  I expect that the plumbing is going to be quite the adventure.

great work, and thanks for sharing all the steps

Crazypoet,   I started with the brake plumbing.  What was I thinking!  I sure am glad I didn't wait until later,  I'd never get things into place.  You are correct...

"the ever-shrinking space" is right!

Rich

Hey Guys,

A quick update today...

The rough in plumbing is done... and it's time to put the finishing touches on the plumbing connections and leads.

IMG_2255_zps4tbvtnae.jpg

IMG_2256_zps89uxlddo.jpg

Be back when I get thing cleaned up...

Rich

• Like 3