The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Gus,  It took me several attempts to figure how to do this.  The tin solder is just 1mm thick,  I had to use tiny finger drills to get the .06 holes to mount the .08 bolts.  I tore through several inches of solder to figure out how to hold the thin material.  it seems to be an ok job.  Looks fine.

Thanks Cool!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks you guys for watching.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     It's been a busy 10 days or so.  I have been working on the small stuff that is mounted to the engine block.

The photos I have to share are a random assortment of things I mostly forgot to take photos of because I got in the groove from time to time.

I'm to the point now where I really have to paint the engine block.  Just about everything is built that needs to be mounted to the engine.  The photos are odds and ends of various items for mounting.  Like so...in no order at all...

This is the only photo i managed to take of the water pump...

IMG_2443_zpsmcqi2d07.jpg

I managed to take just this shot of the water distributer...

IMG_2442_zps0l5kigmr.jpg

The only known photo of the Exhaust Headers...

IMG_2437_zpsgjuqmcrp.jpg

The starter motor and generator...

IMG_2438_zpsrg2qnx4i.jpg

I did manage to take more photos of the gear box at the front of the engine...

IMG_2434_zpssaydpu5t.jpg

IMG_2435_zps8bjlsflj.jpg

IMG_2439_zpsz3inzvnx.jpg

IMG_2445_zpsyawxnslm.jpg

These are the twenty four mounting flanges for the air intake and the exhaust headers...two days just for these little things...

IMG_2436_zpscoah786c.jpg

So with all that, it's now time to paint and assemble...

IMG_2444_zps2mzjc5ic.jpg

I'm sure I'll discover something I missed along the way, but for now everything is off to the paint shop.  When I get all this back, I'll start the assembly, with more photos.

Later All.........

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

More stuff...

The exhaust headers...

IMG_2455_zps0lznt5dc.jpg

Air intake headers...

IMG_2456_zpsv0uobvqx.jpg

parts painted up and ready for install...

IMG_2457_zps3zar2ysg.jpg

IMG_2458_zps2okdsxcl.jpg

IMG_2459_zpsytjvatpw.jpg

IMG_2460_zpsmlgl38nz.jpg

with the radiator frame set around the engine, I discovered that the fit was a little wonky... I took a whole day to fine tune the fitting and get things marked on the frame for final fitting...

IMG_2461_zpshywcnbli.jpg

IMG_2462_zpstzb4watn.jpg

I still have a ton of stuff to add to the engine, I just need to check the fit issues as I go, to make sure the radiator cage stays square and level.

More later...Rich

Hello Betty Watchers...

I have come to a bit of a slow down for the moment.  I spent some time last week getting placement marks for the various items to be placed onto the frame.  The new marks are the final install positions.  I really can not move these locators or I wont be able to fit the cab into place.

The problem has arisen because I have decided to build this project using a combination of several sources and patterns that did not allow for all the extra added junk I have built.

As a result, the tolerances are very tight, to non existent, and I have had to relocate some items,  which adds to the build time of course.

So enough whinning for now.  Let me show whats been happenin' the last few days...

I have been plumbing the engine and just adding more stuff.  I have added some of the major plumbing the last few days and had a real good time bending the styrene rods with out breaking 'em.

pins, balsa, and hot air...

IMG_2468_zpsye5qjhau.jpg

Water pipes...

IMG_2470_zpspnwroahf.jpg

More water piping...

IMG_2467_zpsdta3jvdp.jpg

laying in the spark lines...

IMG_2463_zpszjcrpzzd.jpg

IMG_2464_zpsbeihr5xm.jpg

This is where I'm at as of tonight...

IMG_2471_zpsjgzkyo2c.jpg

IMG_2472_zpsgnkocfdb.jpg

Still a lot more stuff to add before I can secure this to the frame.

The build continues............Later

• Like 1

Hey All,

I have come to a point where I have painted myself into a corner. 

I have done about all I can do with the engine at this time.  I still have a ton of water lines to add, but here's the sticking point.  I can no longer work on the engine bay without building the radiator system.  I can't build the radiator system until I finish the fuel tank system.  The radiators and fuel tanks mount to the back of the cab.  I cant build the fuel system without painting to a finished state.  And I can't finish the radiators until I build the cab.  I don't want to build the cab at this time.

I thought about it this morning and I have decided to halt the engine bay for now (which works out great for me, a natural break point), and go back to the rear end of the frame and build the components that attach to the frame and work my way forward once again.  I have to build the wench winch system, then the fuel tanks, then the radiators and then I get to the cab.

All of witch happens after I relocate some components so things fit ok.

So here are some photos of my current predicament.

This first photo shows how the engine's drive section, butts right up against the frame of the fuel tanks.  This space was previously occupied by the cooling radiators for the Transmission.

IMG_2473_zps3mgqlgiy.jpg

In this photo I have relocated the Transmission Radiators to the inside wall of the fuel tank frame.  

This actually only scoots the radiators back the depth of said radiators. But that's just enough for me to clear any hurdles to the rear.

IMG_2474_zpsypodymmq.jpg

When I moved to the front, I had clearance issues because I added the water lines where none of the kits had patterns that allowed for the construction and fit of these parts.  

I had to remove the water pump and relocate more to the rear, because this particular part was hitting the front axle.  So I had to shave the axle, move the pump, repaint and reinstall.

Here is where I'm at right now...

I have made a styrene moch up of the cab's back wall and floor pan.  I am using this place holder to check clearances up front.  All the Air handling equipment that is used for the engine is attached to the back wall of the cab.

IMG_2477_zpsdirospo5.jpg

IMG_2478_zpsqxxqp71d.jpg

IMG_2476_zps3vdeyntq.jpg

So for now, I guess it's back to the fuel tanks.  I have to build and paint to the final color before I can install and move forward to the engine bay and the radiators.

My big plans might change in the next 5 minutes, but here I go...

Rich

• Like 1

Hey Gus,   To bad the way forward is backwards.  But I knew when I started this build that it would involve bouncing around from item to location.  Luckily the fit issues are very minor so far, just a hassle to rework things.  But Betty is looking used and abused, just what I'm after.

Thanks, Rich

• Like 1

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, 

Thanks everyone for watching!

Today's report is of the Fuel Tanks...I had a fun time building the Fuel Tanks.  Just simple shapes and large size made this an easy mini build.

I already had built the Fuel Tank Frame and relocated the Transmission Radiators, last chapter.  To paint the frame, I will have a blending situation when I mount the fuel frame to the truck frame.  Like the other components, I have painted this item before installing and then to match the paint job to all look the same.

Matching the frame is easy enough.  I'll just slop the paint on like the rest of the build.  The main body panels are to be painted with a different technique.

Because the body is right out in the open, as apposed to the frame being buried under everything, I will be using the "Hairspray Technique" to paint the layers for the cab and body panels.

However that is still quite sometime away, so back to the current situation.

Frame painting, You know my style...

IMG_2474_zpspvwemwkm.jpg

After shoehorning this thing into place, I finally got everything to fit,...so far

IMG_2479_zpsvevfmqau.jpg

IMG_2482_zpsqxxfoeqi.jpg

This is the space to squeeze the frame into...

IMG_2481_zpsr0cyzjmh.jpg

Preping the Transmission Radiator...

IMG_2480_zpsz301wwpa.jpg

The Tanks...

the parts...

IMG_2483_zps42x1cgmj.jpg

IMG_2484_zpsymodkr4h.jpg

I did my wood core technique here...

IMG_2486_zpsh6awzk1y.jpg

Two New Fuel Tanks...

IMG_2487_zpsmuirvwhf.jpg

The tanks are now ready for the paint shop.  However the paint shop is not ready for the parts.  Payday is Friday, so new supplies until then.

I think I will move now to the Winch sometime today.  I'll be back when I figure how I'm going to make gears.

Later All,  Thanks for looking.

• Like 2

Hey Everyone,

A short report for today.

It's been a week or so, of running out of supplies, and brand new techniques, that didn't work out so well, and attempting things I've never done before.

I started with the Winch this week, and progress has been slow.  Trying to figure out how to build gears from styrene was a no go.

I tried to cut the gears by hand, and it really looked like it.  I tried to cut gears with a file, not good.  I tried tracing around a gear pattern....no.

I took a day or so, and then I thought, (which I don't usually do, because I just get into trouble), screw all this trying to build gears, I just went to my local RC shop and bought a bag or two of plastic gears for model airplanes.  Problem solved.

The parts for the cable guides... you can see the pile of gears I had to choose from.  I just went with gears that fit the space and were the same diameter that I needed. 

IMG_2489_zpszzhxjzg8.jpg

The Transfer Case...

IMG_2488_zpsvdf6vd2x.jpg

The Cable Guides...

IMG_2491_zpshigokm62.jpg

As of today I have managed to build just the Transfer Case and the Cable Guides.  I think the gears turned out just fine for this scale, and once I paint these and get everything weathered and worn they are going to look fine right were they are.

IMG_2493_zpslbob3pgr.jpg

The Cable Spool is next to build along with the two Cable Guides.  Then of course I have to spool the cable around everything.  Not looking forward to that.

Bye Bye

• Like 1

Hey All,

I've had a real fun time here lately. Our local cable co. has updated their stuff and given us new equipment for the house. Nothing works quite right just yet so posting will be odd for a while.

I have worked out all the aspects for the Winch and finally got the thing strung up by the cable.  I still have to weather and install on to the frame, but at a good stopping point for now.

Parts...

IMG_2496_zpsilkkygjl.jpg

IMG_2494_zpskbd3qvee.jpg

Components... 

IMG_2497_zpssgpmhhyo.jpg

IMG_2495_zpss3ussjwt.jpg

Starting the stringing process...

IMG_2499_zpsvgjz97ja.jpg

A new Winch..

IMG_2500_zps68mjqmw8.jpg

I now have to take some time to clean up the frame to accept the components.  I have discovered that while I have been working on all the sub assemblies, that the frame has become a dust magnet and is need of serious cleaning before I start to mount the components.  I'll have to make a clean shelter for it later.

I'll post each mounting separatley so you can see all the various hook ups.

Later Betty Dudes.

Hey All,

A quick up date...

A last look at the inside of the frame as I start covering all this up.

IMG_2509_zpsh1iyflzz.jpg

IMG_2507_zps2rofr5bn.jpg

IMG_2504_zpscyhrinhl.jpg

IMG_2508_zps26dntsnk.jpg

I'll cover all this up starting with the Tool Box...

IMG_2510_zps7muksjvn.jpg

I'll be back with the install of the Tool Box and the mounting to the frame.

Later...

• Like 1

Hey Gus,

Swear Box over flowing!  This thing came apart several times before I got the message to string the spool when it was off the winch.  Once I got the spool wound and glued back into place, the rest went easy enough altho very slow.

• Like 1

You Guys are great with comments, Thanks.

Hey Everyone,

The install of the Stow Box was easy enough.  I had a bit of catching up to do to finalize everything for install, but all went well.

So lets take a look...

I had to finish the hinges in the front that folds down for the lock.  I also toned down the rust color...

IMG_2516_zpskk3cr5md.jpg

IMG_2515_zpsfzoq07rr.jpg

Then I started with filling the Stow Box with stuff.  

IMG_2517_zpsfukhhx77.jpg

Building the Key Ring was a bit much I must say.  I had several layers of magnifying just to see these.

IMG_2518_zpseq0pceos.jpg

IMG_2519_zpsdpkpcktu.jpg

Final install of the Stow Box...

IMG_2520_zpsx9avbxe6.jpg

IMG_2522_zpsclpfnsdp.jpg

IMG_2523_zpskbnuflkl.jpg

Building the little tool box was just about as small as I want to go.  It was all good fun in the end (ouch), and I'll make more junk for the box as I go so I'll have something for RFI photos.

Next up is the Trailer Hitch Ramp.  Be back soon.

This weekend was mounting the Trailer Skid Ramps...

Painted and ready for install...

IMG_2529_zpszv60hxdh.jpg

IMG_2530_zps2l21pvbj.jpg

The hole...

IMG_2527_zps42yg43vc.jpg

The fill...IMG_2531_zpsta7zlevc.jpg

IMG_2533_zpsdg86auph.jpg

IMG_2534_zpsfu5rrhhv.jpg

IMG_2532_zpsmpi8u5ir.jpg

Thanks for looking,  next up is the "fifth wheel" Trailer Mount.

Be Back soon..

• Like 1

This is the install of the Fifth Wheel Skid Plate.  I have painted this item with the same color that I will use on the main body panels.  You get to see hints of the finished color for the cab.

Dirty greasy parts...

IMG_2535_zpsj9lelwdf.jpg

IMG_2536_zpsnogjxquo.jpg

The hole...

IMG_2533_zpsdg86auph.jpg

The fill...

IMG_2539_zps1izwhdbp.jpg

IMG_2537_zpsxfslbncr.jpg

IMG_2538_zpsbl04qngz.jpg

I will go back over all of this at a later date when I get everything really dirty for the final weathering.

So next in the line of command is the Winch install.  However, I need to install the Fuel Tank supports first.  I have eight hoses to connect to the Transmission Radiators before I cover these up with the Winch.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

The mounting continues.

This is the install of the Fuel Tank Supports.  The install of the supports them selves was not hard, but I had hoses to install.

The Fuel Tank Support...

IMG_2540_zpstbvpzecp.jpg

At the bottom of the radiators in this photo, you can see the four hose connections.  I had four different hose connections on the Transmission itself.

IMG_2542_zpsru08bxzx.jpg

I had to bolt down the support solidly before I could attempt to install the hoses.  I did install as much as possible before hand, so thing went smoother.

After the supports were installed I had a space of 20mm x 5mm to install eight hoses with 16 hose ends.  Things are a bit tight to say the least.

The hole...

IMG_2541_zps0ismt6qj.jpg

The fill...

IMG_2549_zpsr54ged2r.jpg

IMG_2545_zpsn1wnpivb.jpg

IMG_2547_zpstwwvydgx.jpg

IMG_2546_zpsdyaqs2iy.jpg

IMG_2548_zpsum1no5u4.jpg

Now that I have that installed, I can next move to the Winch install.

Be Back Soon...

• Like 1