Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Revell Spitfire IX is out

Wingco57

On 4/7/2017 at 1:19 AM, James H said:

Underwhelmed.

Me too ... there's a plethora of errors carried over from the Mk.IIa kit ... plus a bunch of new ones for good measure. For those who have a habit of bashing Trumpeter kits - Take note! ... At least they come in a better box!

Given the cost of the kit in Australia (or to buy one O/S and get it here), plus the time, effort and skill level required to correct this kit, plus the cost of the AM required ... I think the Tamiya kit is a MUCH better proposition ... it'll cost less cash, puss and pain!!

The Fw.190 looks half decent ... but I've got no real idea how bad that one is error-wise.

I handed off a Revell F.8 kit, along with the Hasegawa version for a comparison review, paid for postage also ... to see how the newer Revell kit stacked up.

It never materialised (save a bunch of excuses early on) ... 

Rog :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Artful69 said:

The Fw.190 looks half decent ... but I've got no real idea how bad that one is error-wise.

I handed off a Revell F.8 kit, along with the Hasegawa version for a comparison review, paid for postage also ... to see how the newer Revell kit stacked up.

It never materialised (save a bunch of excuses early on) ... 

Sorry, that was me Rog... and it's on me as well. I lost all the files when my Computer crashed. I still have the photo's though and plan to get it done.

Also happy to send both kits back if you like.

S

40 minutes ago, Wumm said:

Sorry, that was me Rog... and it's on me as well. I lost all the files when my Computer crashed. I still have the photo's though and plan to get it done.

Also happy to send both kits back if you like.

S

Steve ...

I know who it was that I sent the kits to ... I just didn't feel it was appropriate to name you directly in a public forum, no matter how I felt.

I think that its a fair enough comment, without being nasty or spiteful, to say that I don't know how long ago it was that I sent the kits to you - nearly two years?? ... and although your review promise was never under pressure of a 'timeframe for delivery' I'm thinking that we're well past a reasonable time for it now (we probably were 6 months ago or more), even given mitigating circumstances causing delay ... I think that's a fair enough comment?? (again without malice).

The kits were sent as a gift, with no conditions - just an expectation that you would do as you promised ... returning them at this point would be offering an insult as well as a broken promise - so in keeping with civility - no thank you!! ... So how about you just fulfil the promise and complete your comparison? That would be infinitely more satisfying ... and useful.

Guest DannyVM

I got myself the Mk IX yesterday and will build this alongside the Mk II I already started. Would make a nice comparison.

Can we aspect a review of the kit Cees??

Greetz

Danny

9 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Steve ...

I know who it was that I sent the kits to ... I just didn't feel it was appropriate to name you directly in a public forum, no matter how I felt.

I think that its a fair enough comment, without being nasty or spiteful, to say that I don't know how long ago it was that I sent the kits to you - nearly two years?? ... and although your review promise was never under pressure of a 'timeframe for delivery' I'm thinking that we're well past a reasonable time for it now (we probably were 6 months ago or more), even given mitigating circumstances causing delay ... I think that's a fair enough comment?? (again without malice).

The kits were sent as a gift, with no conditions - just an expectation that you would do as you promised ... returning them at this point would be offering an insult as well as a broken promise - so in keeping with civility - no thank you!! ... So how about you just fulfil the promise and complete your comparison? That would be infinitely more satisfying ... and useful.

Rog, 

Once again, I apologise for the delay. As you very well know from Private Messages between the two of us, my former Partner committed suicide in 2015, and my 18 year old Daughter came home from work and found her body. My Daughter is now no longer able to work and 21 months later still cannot leave the house without bursting into tears. My former Partner's affairs have still not been settled, and her Will still hasn't been read due to interference from her Father who is doing his best to see me suffer. I am not only paying rent on my own premises, but also the mortgage, insurance and utilities on the property my Daughters are living in that is still half in my name. I do not own a Computer as I lost mine in the settlement when we split, everything is done on Mobile Phone at this time. The small second hand Computer that I managed to source crashed along with the information I had assembled, and replacing it has been rather low on my list of priorites at this time in my life. All of this could have been conducted via Personal message had you any concerns about delays (you haven't read the pertinent PM file since July 2015), but in the name of Civility, here we are.

You may well feel insulted at my offer to return the above mentioned kits, that is your choice. You may also continue to take pot-shots at me here and on other Forums, despite my giving you an undertaking to do the reviews you requested... that is also your choice if you think that's the best way to get results. 

I chose to put Family and other things above little bits of plastic. That was my choice.

S

1 hour ago, Wumm said:

... All of this could have been conducted via Personal message ... agreed and I would have preferred it that way!! ... remember - I didn't mention anyones name here, in the first instance. You could have sent me a PM in response.

... (you haven't read the pertinent PM file since July 2015) ... incorrect - I read your last message on Nov 7, 2015 ... which was the last time I heard from you on the subject - the computer issue ... in response to the question of where we were at with it all (Nov 6, 2015) ...

You may also continue to take pot-shots at me here and on other Forums ... no pot shots taken. Again ... no names have been mentioned!! ... only that I had provided the kits for review at no cost and the review hasn't materialised - a disappointment. I did mention elsewhere that 'the intended reviewer' had offered to return the kits ... and yes it IS an insult to return a gift, in most areas of society - really, Steve!!

I chose to put Family and other things above little bits of plastic. That was my choice ... indeed it was, especially in your first message to me (June 13, 2015) where you declined the undertaking due to the above ... before changing your mind and taking it up again (June 16, 2015). I hasten to add, there was no pressure for an immediate undertaking given your private circumstances (not mentioned by me anywhere in public) ... but a reasonable timeframe, I think, anyone would expect (6-12 months even?) - if the offer was going to be taken up? ... My initial statement above was one of disappointment, not malicious attack ... 

The implication you make here is that I'm the bad guy because I dared to mention it, dressing me down here in public, despite no communication from you in, what? 18 months? What was I going to be, whistling show tunes? ... C'mon Steve ... you're not exactly being fair on me ... 

Guest DannyVM

Steve & Rog,

due to the nature of this discussion i'm asking you guy's if you please can sort your personal issues true PM and not true the public part of the forum.

I hope you guy's understand it.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

I couldn't agree more Jeroen, i like to see a nice review of this kit before i take a decision to buy it.

Greetz

Danny

I have been working on one since saturday as well on the Mk II I started the week before. Would make a nice comparison.

It's basically the Mk II with some new sprues for the MK IX. As the later versions of Spitfire were converted earliers marks this

makes sense too. I have checked the Mk IX wings to the Mk II fuselage and there is a good match. As you can see in the pics

the Mk IX wings have the almond shaped fairing on the top wing. This was a postwar mod to clear the thicker tyres so for

a wartime Spit these will have to be sanded off. The radiator fairings are similar to the Mk II and lack depth.

20170408_123713_zpslg33g4z8.jpg

20170408_124050_zpse9jgtuhf.jpg

20170408_123847_zpsagtzdddv.jpg

20170408_110021_zpsodoijytq.jpg

• Like 2

Here's a pic showing the Mk II and Mk IX fuselage halves together. Up to the rear of the cowling the fit is excellent. The difference in cockpit coaming is clear as the Mk II used the external armour glass and the Mk IX the internal armour glass. From the nose the length of the cowling is also very noticable.

20170408_123315_zpsvmgrpuz7.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the pictures, Cees. 

I've got this kit on order and am very much looking forward to it being delivered so I can get cracking. 

I recently built the MkII and loved it - I'm sure the MkIX will be the same. For 30 of my finest English Pounds you can't go wrong really!

Tom

• Like 1