The Great LSP Twins Group Build Starts Jan 24, 2024 - End July 3, 2024 ×

• Administrators

Dornier Do 335A-12 Trainer, 'Anteater'
Hong Kong Models

box.jpg

Well, it had to happen. Not that I'm complaining whatsoever, but despite building the previous incarnations of this beautiful kit, I am now embarking on my THIRD! This time though, it's my all-time favourite version, the two-seat A-12 'Anteater'. I will be building this model for Military Illustrated Modeller, but I will also be posting it here too as it's good to show a wide audience just what this will look like when complete. The HKM Do 335 actually fits together great, and isn't fussy. Nor do they have that god-awful clear plastic for the main parts, and they aren't naturally tail-sitters. The engineering is straightforward and fuss-free. There are some areas which would benefit from a little extra help, and I'll use some Eduard for those. I'll even shoehorn a Yahu instrument panel into the front office. As for the finish, well I think I'll be sticking with what was known, which is the green splinter with metal cowls and undersides. Not really wanting a what-if for this build.

The kit itself, of which I have some test shot parts, is almost the same as the previous versions, save for a sprue with a different spine and internal parts, plus a set of car parts for the instructors office that sits higher up. This sprue isn't quite the finished thing, as there are a couple of short-shots on the rear seat stirrups. That's easy to fix. There are also no part numbers applied yet, but that isn't going to be a problem.

Whilst I will be building this with the bomb bay doors closed due to being a trainer machine. There is no emphasis on this in delivering an explosive payload. Now, where I really am torn is in posing the panels. This machine looks best with everything closed, but I may leave a rear engine panel open, and maybe the forward cockpit. I really don't want to ruin the lines. Pretty sure at this point that the front engine will be entirely closed up.

At the moment, all I have is a test-fitted fuse with the key internals dry-fit together. So.....here we go!

DSC_7510.JPG

DSC_7514.JPG

• Like 6

Interesting version, this hunchback Ameisenbär. I can understand your troubles with closing up all cowlings and not ruin the shape vs. open up and show everything. Sometimes I'm thinking of building two identical kits at the same time in different ways of presentation.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

• Administrators

Still just playing around with dry fit at the moment due to some work I'm doing on an ICM 1/32 I-16, but I still couldn't resist.

Such a cool airplane. The lines really do it for me.

Note the wing spar boxes in the wing, still seen because I haven't attached the leading edge sections.

335.JPG

• Like 6

• 1 year later...