Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1/32 Revell RF-4C 14th TRS

1 hour ago, SapperSix said:

Gaz, I am not sue I could be friends with anyone after that.  That is the most sacrilegious thing I have ever heard.  In fact that makes me question all of human existence....Such a sad thing...Coke and Glen.  It boggles the mind.  :huh::popo::lol:

Sorry to fall short of your expectations...:raincloud:  I just never really like the taste of most booze.

• Like 3

Yeah, most find single malts an acquired taste, including many Scots it has to be said.

If you're struggling with those you definitely don't want to try any of the really heavy Islay malts such as Laphroaig or Bunnahabhain. Bloody hard to say and worse to drink if you're not a fan. They have a very iodine like, seaweed flavour and smell much like TCP disinfectant, if you know what that is.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SapperSix said:

Gaz,

I still have my operation maps from that Hawaiian hell mountain.  I never thought I could be in Hawaii, freezing to death with Volcanic ash making everything less comfortable.  Seeing the beaches from altitude was a real moral killer.....We helo'd in from the airport and right back after the operation.  No fun for us...

We'd go up there for a week, twice a year.  We just called it "The PTA".  It's in a huge saddle between both Moana Loa and Moana Kea.  So, we never saw the beach.  And you never realized how vast an area it was until a helo flew between you and one of the peaks.  Some guys would make the climb to the top, but I never did.

One year there was an eruption which set what few trees there are and grasses afire.  We were walking on the lava floes with shovels and portable backpacks of water.  The floes were still hot under the feet. 

At least it rarely rained.  There were wild boars, too.

I really hated it...lol

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

As many of you know the long days in the north mean work to repair and prepare for winter.  I spent a few days coating the drive way as it had been a few years.  It needed a bit of attention as winter has a way with asphalt.  Planting flower with and for the wife took a good bit of time.  Daughters birthday party, soccer games......There is much to fit in a short summer.

IMG_1475.thumb.JPG.413a57860e1e4bffc1cdfd8a296430d7.JPG

And in all of that there is work.  One of the guys on water rescue duty caught us at work.  Here we are during a "Night" jump.  Retirement is just around the corner and life is in the middle of many transitions. 

65313235_10217467973825494_8439246798291206144_n.jpg.06ae698dec9a8f284ab46e8f6e3bb00c.jpg

Only just today am I back at the work bench.  Looking at my plastic....I have missed the calm of my work bench. I figured I would change my work space.  I now have twice the work space but twice the mess as I got rid of old and broken storage.  So right now its all on the desk tops, separated more or less by project.   I will have computer access and so much more at my finger tips.  New storage and organizational shelf's on the way.  I am also building some with the massive Lego collection I have.  New lights and LED's. Soon I will have a the largest, most organized work area I have ever had.  I am very excited.  As retirement looms, modeling time will increase.

IMG_1443.thumb.JPG.ec88630f2d9bb9cdb5f76691c0c6e210.JPG

Well, enough of that.  Updates to be posted in the coming days.  I hope you all are doing well. 

• Like 5

That is a GREAT! jumping picture, Frank!   Thank you for sharing it with us.   I know that a lot of time, military life can range from boring to the occasional, panicked clusterf*ck.  But there are always so many great moments that those who never served can even imagine.  One thing I really miss is the easy camaraderie.

Love your workspace!  One thing I lack is having a computer at easy reach.  I should do something about that.

The other day I bought a black BBQ apron.  It earned it's cost in the first two hours, catching six small pieces of Tamiya dark yellow plastic.  Gray shows up well, too.

Looking forward to some update pics, soon!

Gaz

• Like 4

Congratulations on your up coming retirement Frank, that is so cool, you won't regret it for one minute....................... and the C 17 is one of my top favorites, I just LOVE that bird..........I need to get a model of it................................................... and Frank........................ thank you for your service !

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 7/18/2019 at 10:33 PM, GazzaS said:

That is a GREAT! jumping picture, Frank!   Thank you for sharing it with us.   I know that a lot of time, military life can range from boring to the occasional, panicked clusterf*ck.  But there are always so many great moments that those who never served can even imagine.  One thing I really miss is the easy camaraderie.

Love your workspace!  One thing I lack is having a computer at easy reach.  I should do something about that.

The other day I bought a black BBQ apron.  It earned it's cost in the first two hours, catching six small pieces of Tamiya dark yellow plastic.  Gray shows up well, too.

Looking forward to some update pics, soon!

Gaz

Gaz!!

Thank you for the kind words.  The service has been a blessed trip to be sure.  There are going to be many people that I will miss.   

Much work to be done in regards to the workspace. 

My computer helps as much as it hurts in some regards.  Subject research usual drives me down a few holes for a bit as there are so many good sources on the net.  So many model makers, all doing pretty cool stuff.  Learning it and making it my own takes some time.

Looks like I will have to find a proper apron, a tactical apron! 

-F

• Like 2

On 7/19/2019 at 7:32 AM, Jeff said:

Congratulations on your up coming retirement Frank, that is so cool, you won't regret it for one minute....................... and the C 17 is one of my top favorites, I just LOVE that bird..........I need to get a model of it................................................... and Frank........................ thank you for your service !

Thank you kindly Jeff.  As always it is truly an honor to serve. The 17 is a Cadillac to be sure. 

• Like 3

Decals, decals, decals!!!!    Man this plane has them.....I was a little rough getting back in to it.  I found that some of my decal sets were either to hot or not hot enough.  Causing some, so far minor, decal issues.    I think I have it figured out. 

Working on the wheel wells and plumbing.  Messing with weathering.....remembering where I left off.  She's back underway. 

IMG_1949.thumb.JPG.9bb5ebc27bba5056971aaf3e25f3ad58.JPG

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

The Devil is in the details......And its the details that we are working on. 

I spoke to the person for whom the build is being done.  we made some decisions as to the kind of detail the model will have.  Based off photo's I had thought about not doing a panel wash as the Phantom didn't seem have pronounced panel lines.  However, the panel wash/line detail will appeal to the eye of the owner and will hopefully inspire discussion about the plane and its mission.  A bridge in the form of a model that will allow the driver to talk to his company about flying the plane and its missions.  And so I moved forward.

The Revell kit doesn't come with the canopy seal/foot step/ledge (I have no idea what its called.) in the cockpit.   The top portion came with GT resin Cockpit kit.   The Photo etched sides came from the F-4C Eduard Interior set as its all I could find. 

The tabs on the ledges helped to level the piece.  I just cut the tabs off after the cement set and sanded.  Take care to not put cement on the tabs.  They aligned well with some miner adjustments to the forward cockpit ledges

IMG-2676.jpg

A shot of the photo etched sides after they were installed in the back seat left.   Lots of detail as sub-assemblies are introduced. 

IMG-2753.jpg

All four ledges installed and painted flat black.  The ejection seats are still to be finished.  They are not glued in position just yet because of it.

IMG-2755.jpg

This is the last good picture of the Aux Air intake internals.  I cant help to feel I spent a ton of time on something few will know about or see.  As they say, "I know its there."....

IMG-2693.jpg

The wing has been washed and the fuselage has not as of yet.  I tried to make it subtle, but still create detail. 

IMG-2741.jpg

The tail decals are creating a bit of friction.  A couple things, none too good, added up to make things a bit complicated.  When I air brushed the tail it seems that I embedded some very fine granules in to the paint.  The decal also suffered from not wanting to sit.  I have been fighting decals a bit on this build.  I am using some three separate manufacturer decals sets. If you look at the decal number 6 on the tail you will see that it has extra material on the while of the decal.  The edges of the number 6 are artificially built up as if the print device put ink upon ink right on the edge of said decal. 

At this point I know I need to move to masking/painting the tail information.  I have planned to do so, just not on this model.  I will have to fix the tail decals....just going to think on it a bit.

IMG-2742.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Frank,

Glad to see ya back!  All of those details you did...   it doesn't matter who'll see them, or who knows they're there.  The important thing is if you enjoyed doing them, even if it you were cursing through the whole progress.  Remember, models just aren't just about the destination, they're about the journey, too.

I like the dirty look of your surfaces.  It just looks right.  Stencils are a pain...  but they add to the model, for certain!

Gaz

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2020 at 1:39 AM, GazzaS said:

Frank,

Glad to see ya back!  All of those details you did...   it doesn't matter who'll see them, or who knows they're there.  The important thing is if you enjoyed doing them, even if it you were cursing through the whole progress.  Remember, models just aren't just about the destination, they're about the journey, too.

I like the dirty look of your surfaces.  It just looks right.  Stencils are a pain...  but they add to the model, for certain!

Gaz

Thank you Gaz.  You are so very correct sir.  Excellent advice to be sure.  This model has been, and continues to be, a journey.  Along the way I have learned much.   Of note are the many kind deeds and excellent advice I have received from others. 

Most of the finish work is taken from examples by folks on this site.  I might have fixed the tail without stencils, if it doesn't work, I have a plan......

I hope you folks down under can catch a break soon.   I have flown to Australia many times.  Never have I landed in that plane. I would like to visit this time without bouncing off the fine Australian outback first (I was going to say Autralian bush but the censors might have something to say. :D).  I have a few friends in the ADF and RAAF that I will be visiting, god help my liver.

On 5/6/2020 at 6:52 AM, Jeff said:

Wow, this is right on, Frank.....  I hope you have had some time to start enjoying your retirement... cheers from south BC buddy

Jeff....dude....Thank you for your kind words.  Today I actually read this entire thread from the start, I have never done that as odd as it may sound.  I hit and run so to speak.  I am home tons more for sure and for that I am ever grateful.  Being less busy doesn't seem to have arrived as of yet, I am sure its in the mail.  :hsmack:   For the longest period I didn't know how to act or what do with all the time I suddenly had.....

On 5/6/2020 at 7:43 AM, harv said:

Great to finally see your work Frank !! Looking good, love dirty birds, especially F4's.......harv :popcorn:

Thanks Harv.  I am glad you clarified it was F4's you like dirty...I have heard some questionable rumors about you.  Something about a police chase, a few liters of fine, naturally processed go juice and some questionable women.  But I am sure it was just.....a rumor.  :stirthepot::rofl:    I do think it odd that your picture is in the Post Office though....

More to follow my good man. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Both sides of the canopy ready to go.  The main mask is very light compared to the Tamiya tape.  If I do it right it should be reusable.  This is important as there is another Phantom to spawn from this...

In the ancient and dark recess of my mind, I remember doing this with a testors paint brush and a 1/4oz Pactra paint bottle in about 15 minutes......We have moved the marker to be sure.  :construction:

I cut the ailerons off the wing and filed all ends with putty/plastic, measured to fit the newly created gap in the wing.  

IMG-2822.jpg

The old girl has been flown...Trying to apply many new lessons and balance it at the same time.  Weathering is your friend....but that dude will sucker punch you if you go to far....

The gap in time on this project has allowed for many lessons to be etched in my brick like mind.  Other lessons may have never penetrated and others have since left.  :piliot:An excellent example being how I did the NMF on my tail feathers.  I had to go back and remind myself how I did this....Washes to be applied.  A study on the affects of J-79 exhaust to follow in the coming days.

The decals that came with the the ALQ-101 were dang thick.  I haven't attempted to adjust that issue yet, but its coming.  So many details.   Its really nice to see this getting close to completion.  Worlds away my most ambitious model.

IMG-2824.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Work has been getting done in between so many other home projects.  The main push to get all modeling operations inside and out of the garage been slow.  The focus being long winter day building sessions with consistent spray temps.  And therefore, greater quality production.   In the mean time, little things, lots and lots of little things are getting done on the Phantom. 

The Flaps have been installed after being cut out of the wing and filled.   Over all very smooth with a few edges to be touched up.  I have heard a pretty fair amount of input from maintenance folks for this plane.  And in those stories I have converted one story of the the left flap.  For instance......Apparently a left flap was being fixed/replaced and required painting upon completion.  The spray gun was put on the wing and quickly malfunctioned, leaving a blotch of the once contained dark green just above the flap.  As the paint rolled towards the gap between the flap and wing, crew's used their hand and towels to stop the mess.  Another paint gun had been set up with the medium green for other repairs.  So medium green was used on the flap to get the job done.  And there you have it....

Working very hard on tones of color in the right places...

IMG-3502.jpg

The fuselage seem next to the right engine split upon installation.  Messing with it I messed up the NMF on that seem.  It will have to be fixed.

IMG-3504.jpg

Getting on all the details on her tennis shoes.  Painting and using foil to replicate colored hydraulic connectors and adding placards. 

IMG-3510.jpg

IMG-3521.jpg

The camera's seeing the light of day for the first time in a long while.  More color gradations along the tan on the fuselage.  Also getting the nose gear detailed.  I used foil on the strut after its success on the tail feathers.  The remainder of the protective cotton will be removed as I go around the horn and add additional parts.

IMG-3512.jpg

I am declaring the tail complete.  I have worked to make this very different from the normal "clean" tail.   The arresting hook is now installed sans retention band.  I will add that as one of the last little fiddly pieces.  The custom made rivets on the tail walk a bit.  Luckily it is hardly noticeable unless one is looking from that very view.  Which coincidentally is when I noticed it.  Pictures seem to really make me notice all the little imperfections.  I will look at how to finish the tip of the hook.  I am guessing that it smashing in to the carrier deck at speed would give it a uniquely worn tip. 

IMG-3516.jpg

Speed breaks, and all other access doors have been set and are now being detailed. 

IMG-3518.jpg

Speed Break internals set to initial fit and now being weathered. 

IMG-3520.jpg

Thanks for stopping by. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, harv said:

Well well well. We finally get to see this beast. I love it. You have conveyed what a working F4 looks like. My hats off to you sir !....harv:popcorn::151_41_44_712.09472830013627761

Thank you Harv.  I learned a lot talking to a couple of maintenance folks.  In my mind one imagines planes, certainly 5th Gen, to be akin to the space shuttle.  They have taught me that things are a bit more convoluted to say the least. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DocRob said:

Great attention to detail with lots of eyecatchers on your F-4. Replicating the result of that malfunctioning airbrush is a nice touch too.

Cheers Rob

Thank you Rob.  Given the detail and capability of your builds I value of your comments.  It has been a great change from my old childhood builds that were factory clean.  As this aircraft is going to a man that flew a RF-4C, I have tried to add character where I can.  I want him to be able to tell a story when asked about his aircraft. 

• Like 3