Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

B-24 Liberator Lead Ship aka Judas Goat.

Drifter

The phrase (Judas Goat) was also used in World War II by the 8th Air Force, U.S. Army Air Forces B-17 Flying Fortress and B-24 Liberator crew members. Each bomb group employed a nearly worn-out bomber known as a formation, lead, or assembly ship. These aircraft were brightly painted with group-specific high-contrast patterns in stripes, checkers, or polka dots, enabling easy recognition by their flock of bombers to form up from various airbases over England and fly strategic bombing missions over Europe. After guiding their own combat bombers into the appropriate formation groups the assembly ships would return home—thus their poor condition and lack of camouflage and weapons mattered little.

b24d-jpg.606000

• Like 1

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, HubertB said:

I still remember Shep Paine’s build of the venerable Monogram kit, in the painting shop receiving its polka dots formation ship scheme, on the cover of Scale Models ...

Hubert

Shep Paine was HUGE inspiration to me, as well as many others of my generation.  When I bought my first 1/48 Monogram B-17, I remember being absolutely enthralled by the included color folders showing his amazing work.    Mr. Paine, above all others, inspired me by showing me what was actually possible with that box of plastic on my bedroom table. 

• Like 4

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, NigelR32 said:

All looks like a distasteful pair of socks to me..

Who wants to bet Drifter will be asking for donations of Tamiya Masking tape pretty soon.... he's gonna need plenty!!

hahahahaha. Poor Drifter, all alone down there, so far away he can't smack our heads when we make sport of him.  :)

• Like 1

• Administrators

Phil, agreed.

The Luftwaffe might have had a hard time getting a bead on that. It must have hurt their eyes to look at it.  Send in the colorblind pilots!

I’m thinking those who flew there took a lot of good natured ribbing from the other crews. But what a crappy job, flying the most beat up, clapped out, barely hanging together piles of junk in inventory, that if not for needing an assembly ship, would have long before become a source of spare parts.

Id expect some of those barely wheezed themselves into the air, and the airframes were so bent that they crabbed along half sideways.  With B-24s, they talk about “The Mushers”, which were aircraft that were rigged wrong at the factory and couldn’t get up “on the step” where the Davis wing was efficient, instead they just mushed along, nose high, needing more power to keep up with the others and drinking their fuel as a result.  I expect that’s what these things flew like.

14 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

hahahahaha. Poor Drifter, all alone down there, so far away he can't smack our heads when we make sport of him.  :)

Hmmm, you think? I have "friends" all over the world. You can "buy" anything on the internet......:lol::stirthepot:

• Like 1