The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

"Special" Tamiya P-51

I'm ready to start thinking about 2020 nationals.  I really wanted a civilian build to take, and finally settled on a P-51 in civilian colors.  When I saw "Bardahl Special" I knew that was the one.  I picked up another Tamiya Mustang for a good price, ordered my decals, and tracked down some drop tanks.  If anyone has any good photos of the cockpit of this aircraft I'd appreciate it.  The actual photo is for reference only as to what she looked like.

20190330_154804.jpg

20190330_154902.jpg

• Like 7

Those are the decals I've ordered Martin.  What's interesting is it seems most everything is white, even the oil tank.  I can find a picture of the later life Bardahl Mustang cockpit during restoration but I'm not sure how it was during its early years.  I'm presuming based on the drop tanks it carried the fuel tank behind the pilot as well and was probably pretty standard up front. 

• Like 4

I have to say that should really be a nice looking '51 model! :thumbsup2::):) Great choice of subjects.

Where did you get the decals? I might want to get some too if they have other subjects.

John

• Like 3

Cheers.

Tony, apologies for typos in my previous post. Autocorrect took over :)

However here is one interesting shot of the firewall after strip down

1515279451_Firewall-before.thumb.jpg.48b0abfd68cf72173e3de105ed48503a.jpg

And here is one priceless screen shot from an old Reno-film. The big thing is the discolouration of the cowling panels in relation to the rest of the fuselage. Kinda blueish shade.

I will send you the invoice later LOL 

nose.jpg.716340ce4a3bdfd5574341b1e842c03d.jpg

• Like 5

From the picture of the engine run, I believe the gear doors and legs are white, and the bays are Green.  However that picture shows them as grey.  It seems this bird got painted a lot, or parts were replaced at different times.  The discoloration on the nose is very interesting.

Edited by TJTX
  • Like 4

Worked on the mighty Merlin a bit today after having lunch with Ernie and Mark.  Somehow ended up with 2 new kits and an eye on a 3rd....

Anywho, does anyone have any idea about the prop I need for this bird? I read it's a P-51H prop.  What type of prop is that and is there an aftermarket one I can use? 

• Like 4

Awesome project, and as always Martin just finds those obscure images that we never knew existed!

Civvie Mustangs are awesome, I have one to build as the MOBIL Mustang that was here in NZ for the family who used to own it.

Look forward to your progress

Cheers Anthony

• Like 6