The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Vallejo plastic putty.

Hi guys.

I was watching a youtube of a model being made and the modeller used what he called Vallejo acrylic putty. Visiting the Valljo site I see they have Plastic putty. In the video the guy applies it to a gap, then wipes off the excess with a cotton wool bud. Very easy. The cotton tip looked dry. 

Anyone use this product who might explain the method?

Thanks.

• Like 2

Solvent based putty is better, but it works well for "caulk" type jobs where you need a quick fill that you don't have to sand.

Sanding is where it falls apart, that's best left to solvent style types....Tamiya grey being the best in my opinion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2020 at 12:31 AM, Ryan said:

Solvent based putty is better, but it works well for "caulk" type jobs where you need a quick fill that you don't have to sand.

Sanding is where it falls apart, that's best left to solvent style types....Tamiya grey being the best in my opinion.

Hi mate.

Is it like this stuff?K8waC5.jpg

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Sir Desmond Glazebrook said:

Hi mate.

Is it like this stuff?K8waC5.jpg

This is the putty of the Devil!  It goes on as a liquid and seems to fill a hole.  Then you sand and realize you still see a Divot...  Or you don't.  But then you paint and you realize there are pinholes.  Here is where it gets bad.  You think:  "I'll just add a little more or, I'll use a little CA or maybe Mr. Surfacer. 

But here is the rub:  nothing that you add to it wants to stick through the pressures of sanding.  I've tried this stuff on a number of models all with the same problem.   Refill and refill and nothing wants to stick all of the time.

I'm just gonna use CA from now on.

Gaz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

The One Shot primer is Badger's Stynylrez with Mig's label on it. It is good stuff and the only primer I have been using for the last year and a half.

Nice to know. Thanks! :thumbsup2:

14 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Dissolved putty is the only Gunze product that confounds me   It's left me mumbling to myself on occasion.

Even the Mr Hobby page offers little help.

• Like 1

I just spoon a little of the dissolved putty into a small hole or open seam, wait until it hardens and repeat until the cavity is seemingly full, and then sand away what sticks up. However, I have only used it to fill small openings as I find it harder to use over larger areas. Perfect Plastic Putty I kund of gave up on as it dries up fast in the tube. Apparently a flaw in the bottle design allows some air leakage but why they haven't fixed it I don't know.

But now, I just sand everything down level to the bottom of the cavity and skip using putty.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

I just spoon a little of the dissolved putty into a small hole or open seam, wait until it hardens and repeat until the cavity is seemingly full, and then sand away what sticks up. However, I have only used it to fill small openings as I find it harder to use over larger areas. Perfect Plastic Putty I kund of gave up on as it dries up fast in the tube. Apparently a flaw in the bottle design allows some air leakage but why they haven't fixed it I don't know.

But now, I just sand everything down level to the bottom of the cavity and skip using putty.

I was trying to undo the work of the mad rivetter on a Trumpy kit.  I used a brush to apply the stuff and everything looked filled.  But sanding revealed places where the filler didn't get in, or where air bubbles occurred.  Never again. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
4 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I was trying to undo the work of the mad rivetter on a Trumpy kit.  I used a brush to apply the stuff and everything looked filled.  But sanding revealed places where the filler didn't get in, or where air bubbles occurred.  Never again. 

I wrecked a Revell Spitfire ll with CA once, in a typical Ernie way. Was filling some prominent rivets holes with CA and dumped half the bottle on to the fuselage.

Me smart like soap dish. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I wrecked a Revell Spitfire ll with CA once, in a typical Ernie way. Was filling some prominent rivets holes with CA and dumped half the bottle on to the fuselage.

Me smart like soap dish. 

I'm pretty sure it's a common occurrence, Ern.  I save beer bottle caps to pour CA into and then dip my homemade CA applicator (a sewing needle with half of the eye filed off) into.  I learned too...lol

• Thanks 1