The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

WnW Sopwith 2F.1 ShIps Camel.

19 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Phil, his is looking truly awesome, man!  

For a WW1 and Wingnut newb, you sure hit this one clean out of the Park, man.

Keep up the good  work!

Ernie, you are a scholar and a gentleman..........but you’re right about being a newby.........

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Ernie, you are a scholar and a gentleman..........but you’re right about being a newby.........

GENTLEMAN,Ernie ?? Must be another one Ernie....lol....harv

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looking great Phil, closer to rigging now :D. Was the Camel flat wired, like most of the British planes of the era? I bought some thread made by Prym for my Snipe future build after reading somewhere, that it is useful for flat rigging. It's elastic thread, Prym 977770 Strickelastic 200 m or knitting in elastic. I haven't tried the stuff, but felt like mention it.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

Hi Phil, British planes of the era were normally rigged with flat wire and Uschis thread is round. You can use it for the steering cables (Coded green, yellow and red in your manual) The blue coded wires have a flat (aerodynamic) shape of 0,1 x 0,3 mm. You can use the Prym elastic thread for that which has a flat profile or use PE if you want to make it right.
German planes normally used only round profile wires. While rigging my recently finished Pfalz, I experimented with different threads and found it very hard (near impossible) to thread the 'wobbly' Uschi line through Bob's buckles. Fishing line was way easier to handle. 

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

76F429AD-4537-4C3C-9F18-A17722C09DC7.thumb.jpeg.a2f01cf9367b69188b06be4249b30e83.jpegBeen almost three weeks since last update, been finishing off the Tempest, starting to put the Corsair through the booth and started the F4J..........I know squirrel....

Anyway, the monofilament has arrived and just squaring this away to start finishing this baby off. It’s been perfect building, if only I had read the instructions etc etc.....but very pleased so far.......hoping WnW news is not bad that I’ll never build another........

• Like 8

As you mentioned Phil, it's your only WNW kit, take your time and digest or be fast to purchase some others ;). I never had a real interest in the Camel, but that might change with your build. These WNW thingies are so easy to get addicted to.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 2

On 4/19/2020 at 10:44 AM, DocRob said:

These WNW thingies are so easy to get addicted to.

You’re right Rob, so far it’s been really enjoyable build. As I am doing the CDL I was lucky enough to have in stock the paint (XF55) but now comes the job of making it look transparent......

• Like 3

I tried pigments on my Pfalz's wings and liked the effect. If you rub them slightly onto the risen spars, you get the opposite effect of highlighting, because on transparent wings there would be a shadow for the spar. With more effort you can spray this effect also.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DocRob said:

There are some ideas about CDL and transparency on the WNW hints&Tips side

Thanks Rob, I’d spotted there hints awhile ago but forgot about them, thanks for the reminder, this lockdown is bad for the brain cells........

• Like 3