The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

WnW Sopwith 2F.1 ShIps Camel.

12 hours ago, HubertB said:

1 mm tube definitely looks too big, agreed ...

Hubert, thanks for confirming as well, also thank you for your very kind of offer of sending some rod, I’ll have a extensive search to see if I have anything suitably smaller. I like the idea of the toothpick......if necessary I’ll complete the build as far as I can for the time being......

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

I bit the bullet and bought these.......no excuse now

You can rig a dozen of Camels with those. Remember to clean the holes with a drill or tip of a scalpel after cutting, it's not so easy to fiddle the Chameleon line through for the second time, even with cleaning.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

You can rig a dozen of Camels with those. Remember to clean the holes with a drill or tip of a scalpel after cutting, it's not so easy to fiddle the Chameleon line through for the second time, even with cleaning.

Cheers Rob

Just found that out........when you describe a hook, how did you achieve this?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Gaz, the eyes take a pounding though.........I’m quite pleased.....

I had some reading glasses custom made just for rigging.  The best you can buy off the rack is 3.5X which is what I use for every day modelling.  The custom set is 4.82X.  That gives me a working distance of around 8 inches and works well-enough for passing back and forth through the tubes and threading eyelets.

Watchmakers use 5X glasses, but the working distance is so short that you wouldn't be able to get your head close enough without knocking your model over.  Fortunately the guy who made my glasses was savvy enough to know and tell me about the working distance.

When I take off my custom glasses, it takes my eyes a while to get back to normal.

Gaz

• Like 3

I take my hat off to you Phil - taking on a WNW Camel as your first WW1 aircraft build.

I see you've managed so far to avoid snapping off any of the fuselage moulded struts, which is something I a quite a few others fell foul of.

Regards rigging the tubing I use for control lines is 'Stroft GTM' mono (0.08 mm diameter) routed through 'Albion Alloy's' 0.4 mm diameter (0.2 mm internal).

For rigging I use 'Stroft GTM' mono (0.12 mm diameter) routed through tube of 0.5 mm diameter (0.3 mm internal).

Roll cutting with a sharp blade is OK but does leave burrs , especially in the bore of the tube and these can be a pain to remove. If you want pre-cut tube of 0.4 or 0.5 mm diameter, equal length and free of burrs, you can order 'turnbuckles' from 'Albion Alloy's' in packs of 100 at £12. They used to have their own 'Model Skills' web site but that seems to have been taken down now. Instead I order through the message function on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/AlbionAlloys

Mike

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

one thing I have found with WnW decals, they are very fragile......

...indeed they are, with my two WNW builds, I had some troubles with their decals be it larger area Lozenge or German crosses. Nice turnbuckle Phil :thumbsup2:.

I use Tamiya magnifiers which I like, because of the quality real glass lenses, which reduces distortions and the possibility of changing lenses, depending of the type of work.
It seems like the set has changed though, mine includes four lenses of 1,7X, 2X, 2,5X and 3X.
The only weak point is the head adjusting plastic thing, which is adjustable, but causes some headache after longer wear, but that's maybe only my cabeza (head) ;).

Cheers Rob

Magnifying Visor with 1.7x/2x/2.5x Lenses (tamiya.com)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandbagger said:

I take my hat off to you Phil - taking on a WNW Camel

Thanks Mike, I do like a challenge.....:wallbash:.....you’re not the only person who has said about the Camel.......I have been referring to your Camel build but cherry picking bits which suit my skills. Thanks for the heads up of all the various methods you use........I’ll squirrel those away for the future.....I do use the roll cut method and it’s a pain to clean the burrs and through holes but getting better at it........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

...indeed they are, with my two WNW builds, 

Thanks Rob,

on the elevators you have decal first but with all the additional work for horns and turnbuckles it’s starting to flake.....:wallbash:

the turnbuckles were all of you guys giving excellent advise.......I’ve been thinking about the lenses for awhile, at present I’ve got a LED circular lamp with a magnifying lens in the centre. I already wear glasses so not sure how I’d far with the Tamiya type.......have to try them once lockdown finishes etc........

• Like 2

On 11/23/2020 at 12:22 PM, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Rob,

on the elevators you have decal first but with all the additional work for horns and turnbuckles it’s starting to flake.....:wallbash:

the turnbuckles were all of you guys giving excellent advise.......I’ve been thinking about the lenses for awhile, at present I’ve got a LED circular lamp with a magnifying lens in the centre. I already wear glasses so not sure how I’d far with the Tamiya type.......have to try them once lockdown finishes etc........

As my avatar pic shows, I cannot envision sitting on my bench without my Optivisor screwed on now (and the refracted light draws an elegant mustache on my - handsome, of course - face on top of it :lol: ). 
Go for it, you’ll see a big difference, literally.

Hubert

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/23/2020 at 12:22 PM, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Rob,

Hi Phil, I'm also a lifetime glasses wearer and I haven't found any problems with a Tamiya type magnifier. As I get older and the natural change to long-sightedness 'corrects' for my myopia and astigmatism I'm almost at a point where I can do close work quite well without my glasses which is a weird feeling after 45 years wearing glasses!

You can get some cheap but reasonable magnifiers from China on eBay if you want to try a set first to see how you go.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HubertB said:

As my avatar pic shows, I cannot envision sitting on my 

Hubert, I’ve heard good things about the optivisors, thanks

12 hours ago, GusMac said:

Hi Phil, I'm also a lifetime glasses wearer and I haven't found any problems 

Thanks Gus, I bought from Telford a couple of years ago a circular magnifying lense and led light fixture. The only trouble is the housing always gets in the way so head worn magnifiers would be better, thanks I’ll have a look.......

• Like 1