The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

AM usage - throw the kitchen sink at a build or be selective?

BlrwestSiR

So I've got a couple (ok, more than a couple:D) kits in the stash where I have a bit of a dilemma. The kits in question are the Trumpeter MiG-29UB and the Hobby Boss B-24J. Both kits are in the stash because of specific markings I want to do them in. For the MiG, it's a set of Tiger Meet markings. In the case of the B-24, it's RCAF markings with a shark mouth. 

So here's the dilemma. It's the markings that interest me the most and why I even have either kit so how much AM should I be throwing at them? There's a fair amount available for both, maybe more for the B-24 vs the MiG. I also don't want to get too bogged down with either build. I'm thinking of sticking to obvious  but simple bits and leaving it at that. So no wing fix for me. 

For the B-24 my current plan is to use  resin tires, brass gear and MG barrels. I'm really torn on adding PE to it but maybe just the cockpit. 

On the MiG, I'm thinking resin tires and maybe that's about it. Brass pitot? 

What do you guys think? Go all in or have a slightly more involved easy (!??!!) build? Staring at a pair of half done B-25s next to my bench for over a year is what put me down this train of thought.

Carl

• Like 2

I would think perhaps sticking to external AM for the B-24 is best as you will not really see inside too much. Maybe  an Airscale IP. Mig I say either go all in or OOB. No in between on big jets. Big bombers are way to easy to go all out and get burnt unless it is your absolute favorite aircraft "dream" build and you have a couple years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Good question.

The rush to A/M is a tricky road to go down.

I bought alla the sets available for the Gotha at the time, I regret that now.

Most of the sets look as if they are rushed to production and most of the p/e I wont use. I used some of it for templates , but did not need it specifically for that.

Some forums appear to be selling markets for a lot of this stuff, and I will say that some of it is crap and not needed.

Be careful and don't just buy because some 'industry name' says so , or you saw it on a forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can speak to the B-24. On the J model, you can see a LOT through the cockpit canopy, it’s a lot of very clear windows, the HB clear is excellent, so throwing AM at the cockpit is a good idea. The bomb bay is another area sorely needing attention, if you plan on flipping it over to show it. The model should weigh about 6 pounds when done, so brass is a good idea, however, you will still need to glue the tar out of them where they join the wing. 

The big detriment to the kit are the turrets, sadly, you will have a seam, or you can go with crappy eBay turrets. As of right now, nobody has made any good replacement turrets. Right now my build is in a holding pattern, waiting for someone to release front and rear turrets. 

However, if you are building a D model, then at least you don’t have to worry about the front turrets, just the strange shape of the front glass.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

I can speak to the B-24. On the J model, you can see a LOT through the cockpit canopy, it’s a lot of very clear windows, the HB clear is excellent, so throwing AM at the cockpit is a good idea

I'm going to be doing a J kit so thanks for sharing your experiences. The turrets are a question mark as far as getting the eBay ones. 

9 minutes ago, krow113 said:

I bought alla the sets available for the Gotha at the time, I regret that now.

Been there, done that which is what brought me to this question.

26 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

Mig I say either go all in or OOB. No in between on big jets. Big bombers are way to easy to go all out and get burnt

No kidding it's easy to burn out. Just need to look around my bench for evidence of that. 

• Like 2