The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Blimey! never seen one of these used before..

Fidd88

That is some amazing use of the technology. I am currently building a 1/16 RC Tank and have been looking for a way to make "scale" Weld Beads and this may be the answer!

Thanks for posting,

Barry

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Fidd88 said:

Isn't the normal method some Tamiya putty and a blunt knife-blade or clay sculpting tool?

It is one of the tried and proven methods but in 1/16 scale and on a modern tank where most of the welds are done by machine the putty or hot knife just don't look right to me. I'll have beads as wide as .060" or 1" to scale and they don't have that hand welded appearance they are too smooth in many cases.

I may have to develop a tip and then perfect a technique that will yield the look needed. I've ordered one will start work on the technique and tip if needed.

Barry

• Like 2

This is nifty and all, but...

What exactly is the advantage of laying down a squiggly patch of composite material, flattening it with a metal ruler and buffing it with a Dremel; over say just using stock plastic card?

• Like 2

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Barry said:

That is some amazing use of the technology. I am currently building a 1/16 RC Tank and have been looking for a way to make "scale" Weld Beads and this may be the answer!

Thanks for posting,

Barry

Barry I use the tamiya 2 part epoxy putty.  You just have to form it a bit.  But this got it beat 100 times over.

And what works GREAT for creating the rough cast look on glasis plates and such is the Mr. Surfacer 500 that comes in the jar.  just apply it with a sponge and keep working it to get that stippled look. When it dries it looks all the world like rough cast steel plate.

• Like 1

Cheers. I thought it quite remarkable in the hands of an expert. It's fairly redundant for me as I can 3d print parts much more accurately, but of you can't draw in CAD then this has some merit I think.

• Like 2