The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

American trucks......my soft spot......

Guest DannyVM

Guest DannyVM
On 6/23/2020 at 11:35 PM, Wumm said:

Also guys,

Remember to plan your route (unlike this guy...)

IMG_20200624_073305.thumb.jpg.e8feac123bf5d2fffdd0107b28144316.jpg

This happened yesterday in France.................:wtf:

9Khl5dDl.jpg

Guest DannyVM

Question guy's..............

Do anybody have good reference photo's of a White Freightliner frame-work regarding the different sortes of tubes, wiring and hoses which run along the frame to connect all different systems??

Guest DannyVM
8 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

There's a low bridge in the US where they have cameras set up to film all the over height vehicles that miss the warnings and try to drive under it. 

http://11foot8.com/

That bridge is really bullet-proof. Did a search on Youtube and this bridge becomes famous. So much warning sign's and still some drivers didn't keep attention to it.

3 hours ago, DannyVM said:

Question guy's..............

Do anybody have good reference photo's of a White Freightliner frame-work regarding the different sortes of tubes, wiring and hoses which run along the frame to connect all different systems??

Danny, I don't think there is anything specific in this regard to Freightliner itself, most of the trucks I driven over the years, GMC Brigadier, OLD Dodge tandem, Ford Louisville, International,  Mack,  Peterbilt, Autocar, Western Star, all looked roughly the same underneath, as far as air lines, electrical, etc....the only thing that may have been slightly different, is where the air tanks, and how many air tanks were mounted. Seemed to me the manufacturers, ran the lines pretty much anywhere they could under the cross members or if there was a hole in a cross member at the frame rail. All were tied to the frame rails then branched out as required, some air valves are mounted to brackets on the rear ends. That went for our Hydraulic lines on our plow trucks too..... and also there is a fuel cross over pipe, that usually hung below the cab, between the two fuel tanks ( that usually hung down low enough for a rookie driver to tear off in rough areas if he weren't paying attention) and that was also usually mounted on a very flimsy light weight piece of angle metal...bottom of left tank to bottom of the right tank, and on some, like the old School Ford Louisville, there was a tap, and sometimes that was turned off...... usually at an inopportune time one was to discover...............

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DannyVM said:

This happened yesterday in France.................:wtf:

9Khl5dDl.jpg

That looks like a slow roll, and when it was dragging a bit he kept pulling...... oh man......and new vans too...... poor guy, doesn't know his indiscretion is known in Canada now.... comes under the heading of S@*T happens........... and it does to all of us......:unsure:

• Haha 2

This is our Kenworth Conventional Cab, looking forward from the tail-lights...

IMG20200629062943.thumb.jpg.fd760038335be0cbbd3c05571970eaeb.jpg

The basic chassis is prepared and drilled before painting, then is assembled down the line. After this, the bushes and airbags are masked off, and everything gets a once-over in the chassis colour. Note the silver washer on the sway bar, which at some point has been replaced.

IMG20200629063003.thumb.jpg.803da47d3cdddce9b5dd430cc89d5deb.jpg

All of the electric and hydraulic lines are kept inside the chassis cavity, nothing on the outside to get snagged.

IMG20200629063012.thumb.jpg.558166a3f8c9213ef95f4c8e8886fccf.jpg

I will see if I can get some shots of our Line Haul Freightliner Cabover when it gets in later.

S

• Like 3

Thanks Jeff,

Although it was our Kenworth and not the Mack. This is the rear fuel tank on the right side, the front tank has the two holes but they are both plugged. Note the baffle that comes down from the chassis in front of the fuel cocks on the bottom of the tank, protecting the lines from damage as you described above.

IMG20200629091618.thumb.jpg.23aefbc2b28b7ed252428f6102c8095d.jpg

More shots as I can get them...

S

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Wumm said:

Thanks Jeff,

Although it was our Kenworth and not the Mack. This is the rear fuel tank on the right side, the front tank has the two holes but they are both plugged. Note the baffle that comes down from the chassis in front of the fuel cocks on the bottom of the tank, protecting the lines from damage as you described above.

IMG20200629091618.thumb.jpg.23aefbc2b28b7ed252428f6102c8095d.jpg

More shots as I can get them...

S

That piece of angle iron is much more 'Skookum" than the piece of garbage I had on a Ford Louisville tandem gravel truck I used to drive, that piece of steel, would actually protect the cross over line.... yes that is EXACTLY what I meant................. geez between my explanations and your photos, we will cover this subject.. LOL!!  Great pics, Steve.....

• Like 2

Guest DannyVM
16 hours ago, Jeff said:

Danny, I don't think there is anything specific in this regard to Freightliner itself, most of the trucks I driven over the years, GMC Brigadier, OLD Dodge tandem, Ford Louisville, International,  Mack,  Peterbilt, Autocar, Western Star, all looked roughly the same underneath, as far as air lines, electrical, etc....the only thing that may have been slightly different, is where the air tanks, and how many air tanks were mounted. Seemed to me the manufacturers, ran the lines pretty much anywhere they could under the cross members or if there was a hole in a cross member at the frame rail. All were tied to the frame rails then branched out as required, some air valves are mounted to brackets on the rear ends. That went for our Hydraulic lines on our plow trucks too..... and also there is a fuel cross over pipe, that usually hung below the cab, between the two fuel tanks ( that usually hung down low enough for a rookie driver to tear off in rough areas if he weren't paying attention) and that was also usually mounted on a very flimsy light weight piece of angle metal...bottom of left tank to bottom of the right tank, and on some, like the old School Ford Louisville, there was a tap, and sometimes that was turned off...... usually at an inopportune time one was to discover...............

Thank's Jeff for the explanation. At the moment i started with adding the wiring, and etc.......Hope i can take photo's very soon.

7 hours ago, Jeff said:

That is exactly what I was trying , in my long winded way to explain, Steve that is perfect, told the whole story in a few pics..... awesome and excellent reference too.... Love it !!

Explanation and photo's, the best reference a modeller could wish. Thank's for your nice and very interesting feedback guy's.

Guest DannyVM
45 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Steve's photos are GREAT, if I were to go back to our yard and try to take pics of our trucks, they would be covered in mud and crap.............

Indeed they are Jeff. I'm glad to have guy's like you, Steve and lot's of others (sorry i can't name all of you great guy's) over here who's backing me up regarding my noob skills into trucks. 

28 minutes ago, DannyVM said:

Indeed they are Jeff. I'm glad to have guy's like you, Steve and lot's of others (sorry i can't name all of you great guy's) over here who's backing me up regarding my noob skills into trucks. 

Won't be long and you will be well ensconced into this, and if it grabs you , it is like a drug, you will find all sorts of cool stuff to build and research..... I drove for 38 years and was into it long before I ever started in the industry, and I am still learning new stuff even today.... so this is ALL good....

• Like 2

Guest DannyVM

Thank's Jeff...............:thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Today the postman ringed at the door with this package..................

0HGxDZ5l.jpg

Look's like i have no excuse anymore to go all the way with this project................:construction:

Guest DannyVM
18 hours ago, Jeff said:

SO cool Danny, this will now be EPIC!!

Well, nothing will stop me now for doing a good job on this one mate. I hope i will do a good job..................:rolleyes:

Hey all

Ok I finally got the 3 axle drop nose lowboy trailer into Unigraphics...Hoorah! Also my son found another one that is a 4 axle with flip up rear axle, it's kinda short the bed is only about 14' 0" to short to haul much, but the drop nose part is way more detailed than the three axle one. So now my thinking is can I combine the drop nose from the 4 axle with the rest if the 3 axle trailer, it has air suspension, and the other one is standard duty suspension leave springs. So it's a modeling I go, CAD modeling that is...lol  I'll try to post some screen shots tomorrow if everything goes all right.

Ron G 

• Like 3

Guest DannyVM
19 hours ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

it has air suspension, and the other one is standard duty suspension leave springs.

I suppose only the standard duty suspension leave springs where used during the day's that the White Freightliner would pull the flatbed trailer???

Hey Danny

I'm not sure. I haven't driven a semi in over 40 years. It's mainly because I want the air ride suspension on the model I'm making. Most all of the videos of lowboy trailers you see on YouTube have air ride so I'm going by those for my project. Also the 3 axle trailer is more closely proportioned to the drawing I did. It's a model of a LoadKing lowboy. It has all of the outriggers and "D" rings, that the other model doesn't have.

Regular leave springs where the first type of suspension systems for lowboys and they are still the basic setup on a base trailer. Air is optional.

Ron G 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DannyVM said:

I suppose only the standard duty suspension leave springs where used during the day's that the White Freightliner would pull the flatbed trailer???

Most likely...

There will either be airbags in your kit or not. They sit between the axles and the chassis if they're used. Some more chassis shots...

Compressed airbag on a Mack Trident

IMG_20200703_080759.thumb.jpg.5b107111e65a0946a06ced31ee154623.jpg

Which looks like this on the road. Note the lower rear guard as the whole rear of the chassis droops over the back axle.

IMG_20200703_081055.thumb.jpg.40670dbf4bc6481da137467dacac1f8e.jpg

Same Mack Trident Conventional chassis viewed from the rear lights. The brace atop the axle goes the opposite way, as this is an Australian built truck and as such does tighter left turns.

IMG_20200703_081417.thumb.jpg.02718d41adf25ff49fa3054120e7da03.jpg

Compare this with brand new Mack chassis, halfway down the production line. You get a better view of the wiring as there's no Fifth wheel.

export1593723106584.thumb.jpg.5b749fab54c731b04d38f2d0c798cd01.jpg

More as I'm able,

S

• Like 2

Yes that's fine Jeff, click away...

I just noticed that the bracing above the axle is different on the new truck as opposed to the Trident. it may be a Superliner, they don't make the Anthem here yet. The bracing might have something to do with the duty the trucks undertake; I know they're not allowed to do interstate line haul with our Trident, something to do with the way it's registered or engine capacity. It only has an MP8 fitted.

S

• Like 1