The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

American trucks......my soft spot......

Guest DannyVM

43 minutes ago, J.P. said:

Ah, this brings back memories. As a kid in the mid to late 70s I was totally into big rigs, I was in my glory when the BJ and The Bear show came out. For some reason Movin' On never hooked my interested. It starred Claude Akins and some other dude who drove around in a green conventional Kenworth doing stuff I guess. Kenworths were/are my favorites. I got the Monogram model of the Movin On truck for Christmas or a birthday. I remember the decals were all but transparent and didn't even ALMOST show up against the green I painted it and the hood fit horribly. It didn't meet up with the cab which i realize now, was because of the big thick hinges they give you, but my 9-10 year old brain just couldn't figure out. I had a Monogram Mack that had the same problem.

Keep the build pics coming, I'm thoroughly enjoying this, and I'm getting the itch.

*Edit* I think the kits were AMT kits not Mongram now that I think of it

J.P. you make me laugh............ 'its starred Calaude Aikins and some other dude'.....    the other Dude was Frank Converse... theme song was sung by Merle Haggard .. W 900 Kenworth, the truck still exists actually....

https://www.roadprobrands.com/blog-posts/the-restoration-of-the-movin-on-truck

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

J.P. you make me laugh............ 'its starred Calaude Aikins and some other dude'.....    the other Dude was Frank Converse... theme song was sung by Merle Haggard .. W 900 Kenworth, the truck still exists actually....

https://www.roadprobrands.com/blog-posts/the-restoration-of-the-movin-on-truck

:rofl:Yeah, no disrespect to Mr Converse but Mr Akins stands out more in mind...I just looked up on IMDB an Claude was in a few episodes of BJ And The Bear. :D Anyway, thanks for the link, I'll watch that a few times.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Wumm said:

I hate having to move house...

IMG_20200608_232345.thumb.jpg.4135b42ecdd0fe5cf32f3c647eba7650.jpg

But these guys can really 'move house'!

DSC_0081.thumb.jpg.606dbf4476795ced78bfe2e44bcf44e4.jpg

S

Who makes these platform loaders? ( is that the word for them? ) They remind men of the Oshkosh 40k Loaders the US Military have? I sponsored various 3d builds for some of my corporate 3d  rendered scenes like this one now, on TurboSquid.. https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/oshkosh-40k-loader-3d-max/319716

oshkosh-40k-loader-3d-max_Z.jpg

• Like 3

Their trailers are made in New Zealand accordingly to their website Iain...

https://www.houseremovals.com.au/equipment/

Although this set-up seems to be a trailer on top of another trailer. I only stopped to have a gawp for 5 minutes or so, I like to send photos of the unusual ones to my Wife as she usually only gets to see them as a bare shell as they pass through the factory. It's not noticeable in the photo but there's quite a downward slope from right to left as looking at the cab. 

Certainly earning their money on this job.

• Like 4

Guest DannyVM
19 hours ago, Lee Drennen said:

Danny these are for you  I drive a Mack CHU613 I pull Sea containers I’ve been at the same company for 23yrs and been driving for 31yrs I’m a 4th generation trucker

Thank's Lee for the nice photo's. Great truck your driving. I start to know the different models, still far away from being a moderate truck expert:lol:

Guest DannyVM

So for now i have a question. For some time now, i looked at several video's on the YouTube channel about American trucks.

Great stuff to see, but one thing i just can't understand.................

Why do have some truckers such long gear sticks (i mean the gear stick of the truck guy's...........:censored::rofl:)

Like this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BdQVKatCME&t=122s

Is this due to easy shifting or has this another meaning????

I could never understand it either... nothing I would ever do... I guess it looks cool..................... or something.........................:unsure: BUT I bet he couldn't do this !  I have MANY miles doing this...... many

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gear stick length is very much a comfort thing...

You want it as short as practical, but also as close to the wheel as possible. Too low and you'll be reaching and kill your upper back muscles; too high and your seating position too relaxed, and the pressure all goes on your lumbar region. The more travel in the stick also adds to your reaction time. You need to stay sharp and anticipate everything that might go wrong... "How low is that power line? There's a rise ahead so I need to keep momentum. Is that Corolla going to cut me off at the lights? Go wide and watch the back end doesn't clip the traffic light as I turn. Where did that Moped go?"

Your Dude looks really cool in the Cab but it's not really practical. Kind of like massive handlebars on a Chopper. And if he keeps his hand on the knob all day like this, he's probably going to wear out the gear selector fork or the clutch collar.

• Like 4

Yup, resting your hand on the stick was, when I was learning to drive, a BIG NO NO ! I have seen shifting forks worn so bad you could cut your steak with them.... we have a nick name for those kind of guys....  Super-Truckers :rolleyes::rofl: and Yeah, when your back is sore from sitting in those seats pounding down the highway, some days there seems to be no relief from the agony.........

I always liked the stick right beside my seat, and easy to reach......

• Like 3

Guest DannyVM
6 hours ago, HubertB said:

So it seems we are back to Dr Freud’s conjectures for why one chooses this length of stick :rofl:

Hubert

Question is, is it up to the men himself or do's he has to live with it???????????:spam:

Hey all

Here's a little project I've been mulling around on for a few years. Here are pictures of the kits.

51gvpmt9cYL._AC_SY400_.jpgthis will be built pretty much OOB with alot weathering.

20200609_110033.jpgthis is mostly going to be used for parts. I plan on scratch building a 53' drop nose lowboy using the parts from the AMT lowboy. It will look like this.20200616_111850.thumb.jpg.5112fb1bdaf43d4d27873436d48ce244.jpg

20200616_111811.jpg

This will be converted into a 3 axle tractor with alot of extra detail work. All will be painted in construction yellow. At least thats the plan.

Ron G 

• Like 4

My 2002 Civic had the shifter mounted up on the dashboard. It was practically next to the wheel. Great for just reaching over and changing gears. 

Ron, Danny you guys have some crazy mods planned for your builds. The craziest I'm getting is putting a trunk  and rear seat in a "73 Ford Falcon XB. For some reason, they moulded it with a pair of gas tanks there instead. 

• Like 2

Hey Danny

I do have the 3 axle drop nose in a cad stl file that I could print on my resin printer, but I think I'm going to try and make it from scratch as much as possible. I may do some things with the printer but only things that are repetitive so I don't have to recreate them multiple times.

Ron G 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey Danny

I do have the 3 axle drop nose in a cad stl file that I could print on my resin printer, but I think I'm going to try and make it from scratch as much as possible. I may do some things with the printer but only things that are repetitive so I don't have to recreate them multiple times.

Ron G 

IF by any remote chance you decide to print the drop neck, I would LOVE to buy a set from you....I honestly think there is a market for that conversion.....

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics Jeff

Got a problem. DUMBO!!! (thatxs me) lost the instructions to the Revell wrecker kit #7541 or 85-1508 either one will work the last one is a repop. So my question is does anyone have this kit and are you willing to send me a copy. A pdf would be fine. I've scowerd the interweb but no luck.:( ,Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ron G 

• Like 3

Well I  have the trailer pretty much figured out. I printed some pictures of the CAD model stl file. Form them I drew a scale plan on some large format paper, so that I can build over it.

The CAD model isn't printable as it came in the download. There are a lot of descripencys, such as beams running through other beams, etc. The good news is it is at least modeled in separate components. As soon as I can get it loaded into Unigraphics I can start to fix it. After that it should be printable in pieces. I hope.

Ron G 

• Like 3

Guest DannyVM
On 6/19/2020 at 12:16 AM, CrankyCrafstman said:

Well I  have the trailer pretty much figured out. I printed some pictures of the CAD model stl file. Form them I drew a scale plan on some large format paper, so that I can build over it.

The CAD model isn't printable as it came in the download. There are a lot of descripencys, such as beams running through other beams, etc. The good news is it is at least modeled in separate components. As soon as I can get it loaded into Unigraphics I can start to fix it. After that it should be printable in pieces. I hope.

Ron G

Love to see the outcome of this Ron, thank's for sharing this with us.:thumbsup2:

Guest DannyVM

This weekend i have some spare time to put some extra work on the White Freightliner. My modeling bench start's to look like a battlefield, but with a good Belgian beer at the table, thing's might just work out perfect.:rolleyes:

3bmdn7Ol.jpg

rvzP4mpl.jpg

Ok guy's i've got a question?

4rHShYJl.jpg

These so called radius rods giving me a little bit of a headache. I can't seem to locate the right spot to glue them in place. 

UEncSXMl.jpg

Do you guy's have any reference regarding the right position or any insight about the way of install them??