The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

American trucks......my soft spot......

Guest DannyVM

Guest DannyVM

Hi Guy's,

finally, i made myself to buy a American truck. One of my all time favorites. In fact i bought two of them, the other one is coming.:D

Don't ask me why, but i always had an interest into American made trucks, especially those cab-overs. My guess it started when i saw the movie Convoy when i was a little boy. European trucks don't bother me at all, they look toy's compared to these U.S. made monsters, but not only there appearance give me shivers, also there design is just great.

So i got me this one 

jJNDnZUl.jpg

So now i have a few questions, because you have to know, i'm a European noob when it comes to these sort of trucks.

First, the instructions don't mention any type or date when this truck was used. I know, it's a White Freightliner DD or SD (Double Drive or single drive), but there has to be a type of these sort of trucks. Also, the date or better said time-frame when these trucks where use. I know it's not a modern truck, maybe seventy's or eighty's used?? Tirth question, the color scheme of the red one, is this a real used color scheme??

So my questions go's to our fellow U.S. based guy's, they are living in the Walhalla of these U.S. based trucks. Can you guy's help me out with my questions??

regards

Danny

That is clearly 70's vintage.

There is no way to know on the color and markings question, there are/ were a myriad of schemes.

I loved these kits as a kid especially the way you built them from the frame up! Autocar was my favorite rig builder.

Ryan

• Like 4

The truck model is prior to 1977 when the White Motor Company no longer distributed the Freightliner trucks, so my guess would be prior to 1977............ it does look to be one of the LAST  "White" Freight Liners though, after 1977 the name plate no longer carried the 'White" name, rather just Freightliner instead....

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice model Danny. Something different.  I never did try building one of those kits. 

Anyone got a Rubber Duck to go with it? Always liked the look of that Mack truck all in black. 

Carl

oh yeah the R-700 Mack........... it would be an easy conversion, well sort of.. the model kit is of the short nose R 600, the R 700 has the longer hood....but there is a conversion kit out there.. still available  $179.00 ... sorry, I should keep it down, don't want to look like a know it all... :ph34r:

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

We’ve found you out now Jeff, saying that I also build 4mm (00) gauge loco’s and rolling stock.........:ph34r:

I'm screwed NOW !!!!!!!:rofl:My deep secrets are out....  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

NICE!!  I remember "BJ and the Bear" on TV way back in the 70s and their fancy cabover.  But they drove a fancy Kenworth K100, not a Freightliner

Don'tcha know Jeff was the inspiration for that show?

"By day, he's a good-natured Trucker...

At weekends, a Hot-shot on the local Auto Racing circuit..

At night, solving crimes in his spare time.

When does he sleep? Who knows? Only the Woman who tamed his wild Heart.

And she ain't sayin' "

It's all business up front, and a party out the back...

Starring Jeff in "The Sleeper"

IMG_20200522_080409.thumb.jpg.5d4a9c9ea7ba0df651a4ba707d9242d0.jpg

Eat your heart out, Greg Evigan.

• Like 5

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Jeff said:

The truck model is prior to 1977 when the White Motor Company no longer distributed the Freightliner trucks, so my guess would be prior to 1977............ it does look to be one of the LAST  "White" Freight Liners though, after 1977 the name plate no longer carried the 'White" name, rather just Freightliner instead....

I remember reading somewhere that “Freightliner” was the trade name for a type of truck spec’d specifically by White Motors for Consolidated Freightways. 

In the end, the Freightliner name outlasted the parent company, and all were eventually gobbled up by Daimler Benz Corporation. 

It’s fascinating. Old American truck names, all gone.  White, Jeffrey, Diamond-T, REO, Marmon, Western Star.  All gone. 

• Like 3

Yeah, Ernie, you're right, BUT Western Star still is going, for a long while they were built just a few miles from here, in Kelowna but no longer, I believe in Mexico now, but LOTS of Western Stars still being built and on the roads..... I love the Star, got a few thousand miles in them....

• Like 2

Cool project, remembers me of what I call, my first period of modelling :D

178231-11132-pristine.jpg.c4033f7a6ce9d756537ff2240c744afb.jpg

I scalemated it and it shows it's from 1971. One one hand I feel a little older now, on the other, I still remember having lots of fun building it.

Your kit seems to date back to 1972, which at least gives you a timeframe for the original. I remember seeing a few of these on American Highways some years ago.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Love it, I'm toying with the idea of getting a AMT Mack DM600 - these trucks are fascinating. Thanks for triggering my desire B) Just watched "Convoy" for the umptieth time on TV, epic movie!!!

Lothar

• Like 4

Guest DannyVM

Thank's allot guy's for the feedback. Lot's of reading material and research to do.

Over here in Belgium, it's a rarity to see American made trucks. From time to time i see one appear on the Belgian highway's and most of the time it's a Kenworth truck.

A few years ago, a transport company a few blocks from where i live had a Kenworth truck in his fleet. I've seen this more then once and every time it was a joy to see this big boy compared to the European truck on the parking lot of the company.

Here's a photo of this truck

2FjNjg6l.jpg

Sadly the owner sold it. I've heard rumors that it wasn't very cheap to maintain this truck due to the harshly European regulations.

For now, i just got a message that my second model truck kit will be delivered today, so i'm all expectation...........

20 hours ago, Ryan said:

There is no way to know on the color and markings question, there are/ were a myriad of schemes.

So i can go my own way, keeping in mind to use more or less accurate scheme's that where used those day's??

19 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

NICE!!  I remember "BJ and the Bear" on TV way back in the 70s and their fancy cabover.  But they drove a fancy Kenworth K100, not a Freightliner

Never seen that show Ernie, i guess that this show wasn't broadcast on Belgian TV in those day's.

16 hours ago, Jeff said:

Very interesting fact Jeff. And thank's my friend for the nice feedback you gave me and the interesting links.

14 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice model Danny. Something different.  I never did try building one of those kits. 

Anyone got a Rubber Duck to go with it? Always liked the look of that Mack truck all in black. 

Carl

Thank's Carl, oh yeah Mack, a very famous brand. I remember over here in my town there is a Mack standing across the road in the colors of DHL. I don't know if it's still running, maybe i have to take a look over there for some reference.:book:

5 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

In the end, the Freightliner name outlasted the parent company, and all were eventually gobbled up by Daimler Benz Corporation. 

I also read it that it's now in the hands of Daimler-Benz. I also did some research about the Cummings engine used in this truck. Look's like Cummings engines are still very popular and are even equipped into European trucks these day's.

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

Yeah, Ernie, you're right, BUT Western Star still is going, for a long while they were built just a few miles from here, in Kelowna but no longer, I believe in Mexico now, but LOTS of Western Stars still being built and on the roads..... I love the Star, got a few thousand miles in them....

Just out of curiosity Jeff, are the White Freightliner cab overs still in operational use? Or are these more or less in the hands of old-timer enthusiasts?

26 minutes ago, DocRob said:

I scalemated it and it shows it's from 1971. One one hand I feel a little older now, on the other, I still remember having lots of fun building it.

Your kit seems to date back to 1972, which at least gives you a timeframe for the original. I remember seeing a few of these on American Highways some years ago.

Cheers Rob

Thank's Rob for the feedback. So i know a lot more for now, not everything but still, i come from 0 knowledge, so i can say i'm ready to tackle this kit. Or maybe not, ..........................time to search for some aftermarket goodies...........and i already found some.:blink:

Regards

Danny

Guest DannyVM
Just now, Lothar said:

Love it, I'm toying with the idea of getting a AMT Mack DM600 - these trucks are fascinating. Thanks for triggering my desire B)

Lothar

Nice to see i'm not alone in this Lothar...........:grouphug:

3 minutes ago, DannyVM said:

Nice to see i'm not alone in this Lothar...........:grouphug:

I desperately need a break from aircraft, and building a truck may increase my mojo, so why not.

Lothar

• Like 3

Guest DannyVM
2 hours ago, Lothar said:

I desperately need a break from aircraft, and building a truck may increase my mojo, so why not.

Lothar

the very same situation over here my friend.:o

Ok, my first question to you guy's. 

When i opened the box, some shiny chrome part's appeared, and they literally blinded my eyes:sofa:

It's chrome for sure, but...........i don't like the overall look of these part's. The chrome is just.........well, un-realistic chrome. So i search for some way's to remove these chrome from the part's and i found multiple way's to do so. Still i'm not convinced by the results of these tip's because they don't really show the end results.

One tip was to use simple bleach fluid, so i will try that. Do you guy's have any idea to successful remove chrome from plastic part's??

Regards

Danny

Some month ago I bought an Ebbro kit of a Citroen DS, my favorite car, only substituted by a real Jeep recently, because the steep hills of my island would kill the DS.
This kit has also pre chromed parts and I tried on some test sprues to remove it. 
I used the cleaner / degreaser meant for the glass front of my fireplace. I sprayed some in a plastic bag and within a minute the chrome was gone, even in tight corners. The plastic was unharmed. I immediatly rinsed the plastic in clear water, to avoid damage. I had a toothbrush (not my actual one ;)) at hand, but it was not necessary.

P.S. Look what I found this moment:
https://www.themodellingnews.com/2020/05/canfora-keeps-on-truckin-in-2020-with.html

Cheers Rob

IMG_7105.thumb.JPG.a7c419e1a5029c26a5abbbcddbecbe12.JPG 

• Like 4

Guest DannyVM
6 minutes ago, DocRob said:

This kit has also pre chromed parts and I tried on some test sprues to remove it. 
I used the cleaner / degreaser meant for the glass front of my fireplace. I sprayed some in a plastic bag and within a minute the chrome was gone, even in tight corners. The plastic was unharmed. I immediatly rinsed the plastic in clear water, to avoid damage. I had a toothbrush (not my actual one ;)) at hand, but it was not necessary.

Great tip Rob, i will try that for sure.:thumbsup2:

7 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Yes i just seen it a couple of minutes ago. I'm planning to get that one and also part 1. Thank's to point it out mate.

Oven-cleaner works a treat for removing chrome or paint. Just put the sprues in a plastic bag and spray oven cleaner. The variety containing caustic soda is more effective.

HTH

Hubert

PS: and if you have not tried them yet, the Molotov chrome pens produce amazing results.

• Like 2

Danny, it seems as though , here in Canada, that Cabovers are getting to be a very rare truck, most now her, at least are 'conventionals'  maybe partly because Cabovers a re a bitch to climb into if you are an old fat guy with a bad back, like most of the guys I know :rolleyes:, and they don't seem to build them much anymore either... I did see a Freightliner Cabover like your kit here in Nelson last summer, but it was a VERY rare thing, and it was quite old but in beautiful shape... the owner probably 're-powered' her with more jam under the hood though..... so in answer to your question about Cabovers, not a regular thing here and yes mostly in the hands of collectors now.... here in B.C at least.... for the line trucks anyway....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DocRob said:

Cool project, remembers me of what I call, my first period of modelling :D

178231-11132-pristine.jpg.c4033f7a6ce9d756537ff2240c744afb.jpg

Cheers Rob

Now there's a truck ! The w 900 series are great tough units, this one with a 350 Cummins, and 5 and 4 transmissions.... gotta love the two sticks, been a long while since I did that, would love to give it a go once again.....

• Like 1