Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Tamiya Spitfire Mk XVI

40 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

John, I have this kit in the stash and it's hollering to me as well....

As with all the 1/32 Tamiya kits it's a pleasure to build Ernie. A nice "break" from the high cuss-factor stuff! :)

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Those belts look real, never knew the seat was a red oxide colour. Looking as good a ever......

The belts are from the kit and are PE. As far as I have seen the seats in Spitfires were that color. I expect there were some in the gray green color also.

01_kpit_003.jpg

scan0017.jpg

MH43403.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks John, it’s been thirty years since I built a Spit and that’s to long. I’ll start a new folder to squirrel away your images.......

:)

• Like 3

Progress! I'll get the engine assembled and attached next. I apologize for the crummy photo(s). I have adjusted and readjusted my photo editing trying to get better photos but (as you can see) no luck.

7-8-20 002.jpg

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Have you tried using your phone camera?........that’s what I use these days.......

I don't have one of those fancy phones Phil. Just a little flip phone using Consumer Cellular for basic services. Thanks anyway!

• Like 3

Okay. Been fiddling with the settings on my camera and I think this is a little better. Why they look "grainy" here and not on my computer I don't understand.

7-8 001.jpg

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Can't help you on the pic issue but the Spitfire looks good. I'm tempted to get another one. Which would cause me to dip into my Corsair fund.  Dilemma, dilemma.

Carl

Can't let that happen! LOL Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnB said:

Okay. Been fiddling with the settings on my camera and I think this is a little better. Why they look "grainy" here and not on my computer I don't understand.

7-8 001.jpg

Hi John!  Great looking work on this Spit.  I was wondering what size photo you uploaded?  If it's near the same size as shown on the web page or not.  Some sites compress or expand images to fit a certain size.

• Like 2

Engine and cowlings all attached and, try as I might (trimming, etc.) I could not correct this. Very frustrating. Time to get the Tamiya White Putty out. A number 8 cuss-factor (in a range of 1 to 10).

7-10 002.jpg

• Like 3

Lookin really good John, BUT have you ever seen a real Spitfire up close, ........... some of the panels don't fit worth a poop.... so maybe it wasn't far off accuracy wise...;)  Love what your doing with this... can't wait for another update...

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, JohnB said:

Engine and cowlings all attached and, try as I might (trimming, etc.) I could not correct this

The toughest part of a Tamiya Spitfire build. I think it's the panels being so flimsy and having only that tiny tab on them to align the that makes it such a pain. 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Lookin really good John, BUT have you ever seen a real Spitfire up close, ........... some of the panels don't fit worth a poop.... so maybe it wasn't far off accuracy wise...;)  Love what your doing with this... can't wait for another update...

Thanks Jeff. It had me cussing for a while there LOL.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The toughest part of a Tamiya Spitfire build. I think it's the panels being so flimsy and having only that tiny tab on them to align the that makes it such a pain. 

Could be. I don't remember having so much trouble with my earlier builds. But I've slept since then LOL.

• Like 4