Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Tamiya Spitfire Mk XVI

Here is how it looks after application of primer. Pretty piss poor if I do say so myself! I'm undecided if I should try to remove the side cowling and risk buggering it up or just leave it as is. I'm leaning toward trying to remove it and re-fitting, etc. We'll see.

7-11 002.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, krow113 said:

You can sand the rear panels front edge to match them up a little...or skin the side panel with some plastic card to build up the lower edge.

The fat lady hasn't sung ...yet.

True but I elected to remove the side panel (thank goodness for debonder). After cleanup I will re-attach it, etc. Fingers crossed.

7-11 2 001.jpg

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Nice catch John, If I’d tried that it would be on the SOD now.........

Thanks! I hate to have to go back and "fix" something that I screwed up. :wacko:Too nice a kit to put it aside, etc.

• Like 4

I think that more (diffused) light is going to greatly improve the "grainy" appearance of your photo's, and the "depth of field" ie how much is simultaneously in focus. Also, some older digital cameras - say 10-15 years old - tend to take overly grainy pictures in macro mode.

I'd try more light before ditching your camera though!

Edited by Fidd88
clarification
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Fidd88 said:

I think that more (diffused) light is going to greatly improve the "grainy" appearance of your photo's, and the "depth of field" ie how much is simultaneously in focus. Also, some older digital cameras - say 10-15 years old - tend to take overly grainy pictures in macro mode.

I'd try more light before ditching your camera though!

My camera is something like 15 years old. And I usually use macro mode. Still taking different approaches to try to get better photos. Time will tell! B)

• Like 3

That figures really. (Lots) more lighting may help, so worth trying first! Be warned that old-fashioned incandescent bulbs may result in a distinct yellow tinge to photographs of objects illuminated by such bulbs. A multi-LED with "cool" (blueish) LEDS is favourite I think. I use a desk-lamp and an LED spot from overhead, plus incandescent bulbs when taking mine, using tracing paper - if needbe - to provide a more diffused light.

Macro photography is not very forgiving. The other thing you might try, is photographing against a lighter grey background instead of black, which would work in a film camera by allowing a larger aperture, therefore better depth of field and might help a bit with the grainy problem.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Fidd88 said:

That figures really. (Lots) more lighting may help, so worth trying first! Be warned that old-fashioned incandescent bulbs may result in a distinct yellow tinge to photographs of objects illuminated by such bulbs. A multi-LED with "cool" (blueish) LEDS is favourite I think. I use a desk-lamp and an LED spot from overhead, plus incandescent bulbs when taking mine, using tracing paper - if needbe - to provide a more diffused light.

Macro photography is not very forgiving. The other thing you might try, is photographing against a lighter grey background instead of black, which would work in a film camera by allowing a larger aperture, therefore better depth of field and might help a bit with the grainy problem.

Thanks for your input. :)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Looks good John. I'm always impressed by the glossiness of your finishes. 

Carl

Thanks Carl. Credit goes to Xtracolor on this one. Great paint.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Enamel or acrylic?........I still have some old enamels, I reckon their Zinc Chromate is perfect colour, IMHO........

Enamels. That's about all I ever use except in a pinch.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Really nice there John. AU-J is one I'm hoping to build at some point. 

Carl

Thanks Carl. The 2 photos I have show it really weathered but I don't plan to do that. Moderation. :)

• Like 2