The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Yupp...I'm starting another build!!!!

Hey all

Well here I go again. Another build thread. Since all my plane builds are on hold waiting for items coming from many different parts of the world, and all held up due to Covid. I decided to start something that has been kicking around in my head for quite some time. I'm going to be doing a Michigan gravel train in 1/25 scale. I'm using the AMT Kenworth W-925 kit, the AMT tri-axle gravel trailer kit (two of these) and a AMT 1/25 Tandem Van Trailers Double Header kit. The tandom trailer kit is mostly for parts to build the gravel trains dolly. Here are some pictures.

$_1.jpegthis is the tractor I'm using.

20200711_181356.jpgthese are the trailers, I have two of these, the front will be mostly OOB with some detailing, all the plumbing and working hydraulic cylinder. The rear has to be shortened by 4 spaces and will be treated to the same treatment as the front.

20200711_181420.jpgthis is only for parts. I need the dolly parts and two of the axles and suspension systems to convert the single axle dolly into a dual axle one with all the plumbing.

Well here's where I'm at with the front gravel dump trailer so far. 

20200711_160704.jpgon the left is the main air line with glad hand, blue, next is the electrical cable with 7 pin end connector, green, next is the main hydraulic fluid feed line with quick connects, black, and last is the emergency air line with glad hand, red.

20200711_160841.jpgthis view shows from the left the main air glad hand, blue, next is the electrical connector, this is scratch built from plastic and 2 small bolts, next is the hydraulic quick connect made from some small pipe fittings that came out of the parts box and last is the emergency air glad hand, red.

20200711_160812.jpgthis is another view of the trailer connections.

20200713_174303.jpgthis view shows the frame mostly together. On top is the kits hydraulic cylinder. You either have to put it in, dump up or leave it out, dump down. The bottom cylinder I scratch  built from plastic and aluminum tubing so that it will actually work.

20200713_174810.jpgthis view shows the cylinder in the down, or the retracted position.

20200713_174639.jpgthis view shows the cylinder in the up, or extended position.

20200713_174241.jpgthis view shows the kit part and the one I made extended.

20200713_174225.jpgthis view shows the kit cylinder and mine in the retracted position. This cylinder didn't come out the way I hoped it would. It's a little too big, because I used plastic tubing. I think I'm going to try and redo it using just aluminum tubing, that way it will be the correct diameter. Well that's it for now be back soon with more.

Ron G 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

A classic W-9!!!  Ohhhh boy!  Ron, you sure know how to pick ‘em!  I’ll be following this one my friend, in a big, long nosed, chrome covered, black smoke belching, bug splattered way!  Bring it!

And for anyone who’s ever tried to pass a Freightliner hauling a couple or three of those shorty wiggle wagons on the interstate in a good crosswind, you know the feeling of “butt clenching fear”. 

For your next build, you gotta bring us one of those ubiquitous Canadian and Michigan 379s hauling a pair of Super-B wheat wagons.   Those are as close to classic north country if there ever was one..

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

For all I know, you guys could be speaking a sub dialect of Klingon........this side on the pond we have 40 tonners and thats about it........I am learning a lot though....:rolleyes:

I feel the same when you guys chat about some stuff..... and as a 38 year veteran of the highways, just ask away, always here to put my 2 penny in from what little bit I know and have worked with, FAR from an expert, but willing to share anything I have...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

A classic W-9!!!  Ohhhh boy!  Ron, you sure know how to pick ‘em!  I’ll be following this one my friend, in a big, long nosed, chrome covered, black smoke belching, bug splattered way!  Bring it!

And for anyone who’s ever tried to pass a Freightliner hauling a couple or three of those shorty wiggle wagons on the interstate in a good crosswind, you know the feeling of “butt clenching fear”. 

For your next build, you gotta bring us one of those ubiquitous Canadian and Michigan 379s hauling a pair of Super-B wheat wagons.   Those are as close to classic north country if there ever was one..

Doesn't get much prettier than a 900 series, Kenworth.....

Photos for reference only

56b077ec9b5c2_idea20watkins3_zps2tpe62im.jpg.60c11bf5466bc6e22d0c588ac4b93647.jpg

8263407322_fdac1ea370_b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah Ernie

She's goin to be a beauty pulling those two gravel trailers flying down I-75 throughin dirt everywhere...lol.  

Hey Jeff 

Yupp, I  ordered a set of rear drives for both the Pete 359 and the Kenworth W925 also a set of front floats for the W925, just waiting for him to ship them.

Ron G 

• Like 6

Hey all

Small update, I've got the double dolly just about done. And I made a figure to display next to the gravel train tractor. Here are some pictures.

20200718_145821.jpgthis view shows the top of the dolly. This is made from the two dolly's from the tandem trailer kit.

20200718_145757.jpgthis is the bottom view of the dolly.

20200718_145733.jpgthis is the figure I made for the gravel trains W925 tractor. I'm going to pose him as though he is climbing up into the cab.

20200718_145656.jpgthis figure comes from the Airfix 1/24 scale Mosquito kit. I ground off the officers hat he had and made a ball cap for him. I modified his shoes into cowboy boots and moved his left hand so he can grab onto the hand rail to get into the truck. I need to add some high lites and weathering to him.

20200718_150020.pngthis is the color scheme I'm going for for the truck and trailers.

Ron G 

• Like 5

Hey all

Just another small update. Got a little more done on the dolly. Started on the wheels/tires, just a start, still need work. Here are some pictures.

20200718_183415.jpgthis view shows the front trailer hitched to the dolly.

20200718_183252.jpgside view of the dolly and wheels/tires. These tires are extras I had left over from previous builds. One has different tread, which is just like the real thing.

20200718_183341.jpgtop view of the dolly showing the fifth wheel.

20200718_183312.jpgview looking aft of the dolly with the pintle pin in place. Wheels still need work I have to add a spacer to them because they are too close to the suspension system.

Ron G 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

YeH Bir

But I still have a bulldozer to finish, a Pete 4 axle heavy haul and a custom built from scratch drop nose lowboy to build. :help::(:icon_eek::construction::D

Ron G 

I need good WIP on the drop neck low bed, Ron...  I hope to do a Western Star Classic heavy haul, only a Tandem with High Flotation front tires, maybe a Tulsa winch, but would like a heavy low bed... I have a International mine truck that would fit, the bill for the load....

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 7/18/2020 at 1:53 PM, CrankyCrafstman said:

Yeah Ernie

She's goin to be a beauty pulling those two gravel trailers flying down I-75 throughin dirt everywhere...lol.  

Hey Jeff 

Yupp, I  ordered a set of rear drives for both the Pete 359 and the Kenworth W925 also a set of front floats for tge W925, just waiting for him to ship them.

Ron G 

Just the thought of that gravel flying makes my bottom get all tight and all. 

And Ron, what’s with that 233” WB?  Stretch that baby out. W9s look best at about 275”.  Add a few dozen chicken lights while you’re at it and a set of locomotive air horns on the roof. This guy’s gotta be a real highway hero.  A left lane lead foot flier. 

But I’m more a Peterbilt guy, as in stretched 359 with a Cat 425 and twin stick 6 and 4.  

AF5C5D73-F678-4C40-9939-6AEC3BFFFF49.jpeg

• Like 3

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Jeff said:

You hiring?? I'm licensed to drive that.....  I could be in.. LOL!!!

Haha. I kept mine, too. Since back in my kid days hauling grain to the elevators after harvest. Doubles, triples, tank, but since I haven’t used it since 09, my hazmat lapsed. 

Drove for real from 98 till very early 09.  Sold out and never, ever looked back.  Ok, a quick peek on occasion, but that’s it. 

• Like 2

Hey Ernie 

Actually I'm planning on making covers for the gravel train loads. The Kenworth is going to be OOB except for detailing and painting, cause thats the way they are up here in Michigan, actually most of them are day cabs now.

The heavy haul for the drop nose lowboy is stretched to I think it's 310', don't remember right now I'll have to check, it's going to have 4 axles with air lift on the axle in front of the drives with 455 super singles. Front axle will have 425 floats and lots of chicken lights. It's got a nttc-475 twin turbo Cummins. Something like this.

20200617_203233.jpggot this photo off of the interweb.

20200616_111811.jpg

It's going to be made out of this.

20200702_103205.jpg

and here is the big 475! So does that fill your bill or what...lol

Ron G 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey all 

Small update not much to speak of. I have the frame for the Kenworth W-925 pretty much done. I just have to add a few bits and bobs to it then it will be ready for paint. Have the frame for the heavy haul Peterbilt 359 pretty much put together also. That's it for now be back with more soon. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Ron G 

• Like 2

Hey all

Here are the pictures.

20200721_190004.jpghere is the Kenworth W925 frame. Tires are just there for pictures there not attached yet. The grey tank between the pogo stick and the fifth wheel is the hydraulic fluid tank for operating the dump trailers.

20200721_190427.jpgthis is the Peterbilt 359 frame, the tires are just there for pictures.

20200721_190407.jpgthis frame has working front steer axle.

20200721_190756.jpgthis view shows a comparison between the two frames. That's it for now be back with more soon.

Ron G 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1