The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

“I feel the need, the need for speed......”

1to1scale

2 hours ago, Jackster said:

That pit is a thing of beauty! The grey paintwork is fantastic! Do you have any tips on how you used the 7 shades of grey? I have a couple of builds where I will have to attempt the same thing.

Cheers

Kev

This plane was 3 shades of gray by MRP, Lt Ghost, Dk Ghost, and Navy Blue/Gray, then I mixed a lightened color of each (+ 50% thinner) by adding white, then I also used Lt Gull Gray for the wing walk area. I used reference photos of the patterns on the movie Tomcats and also some artistic license for wear pattern on other planes. except for hard mask lines, most of it was freehand. This is about the 6th plane I painted in this manner, so it is almost second nature now. 

I begin by painting the middle color, DGG, then I hard mask the upper NBG, and freehand the bottom LGG. For weathering, I try to use LGG on the DGG, and DGG on the LGG, I then use both those colors on the NBG, I then go in and spray various patterns on all the colors using lightened versions of all, keeping in mind these are all corrosion control touch-ups done by small spray gun of spray cans at sea. I then finally use spray stencils to lightly spray each lightened version of each color through the stencils. finally, you step back and evaluate how it looks. If its too stark a contrast, I will go and spray the original color, diluted 10% paint / 90% thinner, over everything to mute it down. However, I did not do it on the Tomcats, as these planes looked very beat up in real life. I did do it on my A-7 I did a while back.  

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Thanks Carl for the info. I still have three 1/48 Tamiya F-14's in the stash and would welcome another few that allowed the flaps and slats  to be dropped. I feel about Tomcats as I do F4's - just can't have enough. 

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3

Totally enjoying your builds and the Tomcats are looking mighty good. I'm a big fan of MRP paints and shoot them straight from the bottle unthinned with a H&S Infinity CR Plus, .2 tip at about 15 psi. Just courious as to your painting technique of thinning the MRP paint.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 9:28 AM, Peterpools said:

Totally enjoying your builds and the Tomcats are looking mighty good. I'm a big fan of MRP paints and shoot them straight from the bottle unthinned with a H&S Infinity CR Plus, .2 tip at about 15 psi. Just courious as to your painting technique of thinning the MRP paint.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Peter, I shoot them straight using an HP-CS @ 11-12 psi, I think it’s a .3 needle and nozzle. After I finish painting, I spray a lightened version of the color (white added) and about 50% thinners, I spray this broadly over the model as more of a filter, it blends the light and dark areas together. I also use this to do corrosion control touch ups, the thin paint allows slow buildup, so as to sneak up on the final effect. No lie, this method took me 9+ hours of airbrushing the three tones, but it cuts out final weathering. Only needing panel lining and stains for final.

• Like 1