The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Zoukei-Mura P51D Mustang SWS No 4.

Nice, to see your P-51 nearing the finish line, Phil. After all the issues she looks very nice. I´d never thought, I would like such a relatively dull aluminum color on a P-51, but somehow it fits with the camo. The fit of panels and cowlings would be an interesting question. I had tons of problems with my ZM TA-152 some years ago with these and even mor with the engine bearers. Blue or green, she looks fantastic, good to have her saved.

Cheers Rob  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Just for grins, here is some work done by Dana Bell who was kind enough to share with me his high-resolution scans from the Library of Congress photograph originals.  Some people think the colors are green, some think the pictures document blue on some aircraft.  I have copies of his original scans but the files are huge.  Here are some lower resolution captures and the notes are his.

ln8IrhW.png.9521b64d215fd556a6abdf96e68d4629.png1D-P-51-361FG-K-2487-detail-annotated.jpg.890d6ff8ca9a37903791dcf1612c2f7c.jpg

One modeler's version of the blue/green scheme:

lsp_2.thumb.jpg.8bf0a230f50da04654179a78abb486c6.jpg

Thanks Chris, I’ll squirrel that info away for a future project…..

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

Nice, to see your P-51 nearing the finish line, Phil. After all the issues she looks very nice. I´d never thought, I would like such a relatively dull aluminum color on a P-51, but somehow it fits with the camo. The fit of panels and cowlings would be an interesting question. I had tons of problems with my ZM TA-152 some years ago with these and even mor with the engine bearers. Blue or green, she looks fantastic, good to have her saved.

Cheers Rob  

Thanks Rob, much appreciated. I agree with you on the anodised look, a polished surface would look wrong. The cowls cannot now be fitted on once the engine framing has been added. There is a massive bit in the instructions, “with or without “ warning. Anyway,  I intend to show it in maintenance mode. When I bought the kit off eBay it came with 4 ZM figures, I’m going to try and include them in the diorama, my first figure painting foray…….

• Like 4

On 3/21/2024 at 9:06 PM, CANicoll said:

Just for grins, here is some work done by Dana Bell who was kind enough to share with me his high-resolution scans from the Library of Congress photograph originals.  Some people think the colors are green, some think the pictures document blue on some aircraft.  I have copies of his original scans but the files are huge.  Here are some lower resolution captures and the notes are his.

ln8IrhW.png.9521b64d215fd556a6abdf96e68d4629.png1D-P-51-361FG-K-2487-detail-annotated.jpg.890d6ff8ca9a37903791dcf1612c2f7c.jpg

Chris, thanks for p[osting,  as this seems to finally answer the very long running question of these Mustangs colors. Nothing could be more definitive then information from Dana Bell.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So again as with the Mossie, I’m calling this pony finished. It came with some ZM figures so I’m going to have a go at adding them to the final vignette. Here is a taster before again I attempt to photograph it, I’m still working on the figures so maybe another week before I can get the finished pictures……..As my second ZM it was enjoyable and an education with their philosophy of making the kit as close to the real plane. Would still recommend highly…….

IMG_8071.thumb.jpeg.acd0662546202ba7351c5df8feebd9ed.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Spitfire said:

Nice one, I have the RAF version and this build thread will come in mighty handy in the future.

Cheers

Denis

Thanks Dennis, I also have the RAF ZM in the stash, let me know if there anything specific you need to know……

• Like 1

Phil

Your ZM P-51 looks terrific and what an accomplishment, as I've seen quite a few started and your build is the only one to cross the line. When I tackled the ZM 109, I found the kit frustrating and even confusing at points and can fully appreciate the work and effort into put into the kit.  A beauty for sure.

Looking forward to the vignette with ZM figures. 🏆🏆🏆 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Phil

Your ZM P-51 looks terrific and what an accomplishment, as I've seen quite a few started and your build is the only one to cross the line. When I tackled the ZM 109, I found the kit frustrating and even confusing at points and can fully appreciate the work and effort into put into the kit.  A beauty for sure.

Looking forward to the vignette with ZM figures. 🏆🏆🏆 

Thanks Peter much appreciated. The build was enjoyable it was the painting that did me. The only criticism would be the engine mounts to the fire wall and the alignment of the engine. My centreline is very very slightly off. I hope my photos are good enough…..

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

Beautiful job!!  Putting your build thread away for future reference.  Thanks!

Thanks Chris, I’ll get some more pics soon. When I bought this off eBay it did come with a bit of AM, might an idea to think about adding a little bit…..

• Like 3

On 3/21/2024 at 6:06 PM, CANicoll said:

It's interesting. I buy into the blue upper surfaces, based on what Bell has to say and the photo documentation.

What I see as wrong here is the wings would have been blue first. That was the whole point of this, cover the silver  since N.A. was now supplying them  in natural metal with silver painted wings. before we (the USAAF) decided it was unnecessary. So this should be reversed. Blue on the outer wings, with green. (or more blue) over the invasion bars. 

Not trying to poop on this guys work. I like it, I just don't think it fits the facts. As I understand them.

• Like 2

Looking really good Phil. Like Peter mentioned, these ZM kits have their annoyances. I found some on their TA-152, but somehow got her finished. Yor P-51 is a beauty and I will reference to your build, when I dig out my RAF/late boxing. 
AAAAAAAnd, bring on the figures :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Looking really good Phil. Like Peter mentioned, these ZM kits have their annoyances. I found some on their TA-152, but somehow got her finished. Yor P-51 is a beauty and I will reference to your build, when I dig out my RAF/late boxing. 
AAAAAAAnd, bring on the figures :D.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob, I do like ZM’s approach and the tooling and engineering is very good. I thought you might want to see the figures, remember they are my first attempt………pics to come…..

• Like 3