The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Eduard P38 + Brassin

Bomber_County

13 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Terrific work on the front office - looking mighty good. Also am very impressed with your treatment of the turbo 

Thanks Peter, I think I am happy with the cockpit, we are all our worst critics.....everything is just perched in position because I’ll weather the turbochargers etc and add when the the main scheme is finished......thanks for looking in.....

• Like 5

Absolutely, very nice detail on that puny thing. And because of you Phil I picked up Tamiya with some recon nose conversion . I will give a shot to the dreaded haze blue :)

Well , that's the plan LOL

201106072308968063.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2021 at 2:33 AM, Martinnfb said:

Absolutely, very nice detail on that puny thing. And because of you Phil I picked up Tamiya with some recon nose conversion . I will give a shot to the dreaded haze blue :)

Thanks Martin, for once I’ve piqued someone else’s interest, looking forward to the build, who does the recon nose?

• Like 5

On 5/11/2021 at 6:57 AM, GazzaS said:

Very nice work, Phil!

Thanks Gaz, much appreciated. The Academy plastic is not to bad at all, just have to be careful……..not looking forward to the outward leaning fins, I have a plan for those……..

• Like 5

So booms not fixed on but not fettled, couple of gaps to see to……but NO splayed fins…….really happy about that, again people telling horror stories I guess…….probably spray this and the ZM 51 together……..just fixed the tail plane hence the band…….

7862BCAB-A627-454B-AD5A-5DFCDD10D246.thumb.jpeg.f1206aa8ccf7dc296b59c95f15908e32.jpeg

• Like 6

So I thought I shoot some paint at the P38 to see I need to fettle any areas. The only available correct colours I have are Xtracolor enamels, natural grey and faded olive drab. It’s been years since I used Xtracolor (JohnB swears by them). The grey went down a treat but I’d forgotten how long it takes to dry and harden. Admittedly I did mix 50-50 with white spirit, probably a little to thin? Can’t really remember the mixes I used before……

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Peterpools said:I haven't shot enamels in maybe a decade and any chance of remembering the mix would be a downright guess and totally useless

Same here Peter in time, it looks like the enamel has hardened overnight so I can buff up a couple of areas….

• Like 3

13 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Looks good, Phil.  I always get extra nervous on twin boom kits, expecting bad things.

Thanks Gaz, the Academy boxing is no Tamiya kit but is doable. I was very nervous, especially when you read the horror stories of the fins splaying outwards. They are not luckily…..

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

This putty stuff is moving a lot with gravity. It's a bit better to work with, if you use thinner rolls of the putty and add some contoured paper mask fo protection and you should spray immediately after application.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I had some of that putty.  After a while it started getting stuck in crevices and refusing to come out.  Maybe mine got old with paint and the paint trapped in it began to bind with the model.   After the second event, I chucked it. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

So after doing a bit of armour, thought I’d get back to the 38. Used Xtracolor enamels in faded olive drab. Must admit they do leave a nice finish to decal on to. I also have the Tamiya boxing, so in reviewing the Tamiya decals and the Cartograf decals in the Eduard boxing, I was shocked how thick the Tamiya ones are. So, I’ll be using the Cartograf for both. Luckily the Eduard boxing included 5 schemes in F,G & H models. So having sprayed, just touching up my mistakes and ready for decals…..

1950C53A-0C52-4E26-BAB9-3E81580B3219.thumb.jpeg.2f3e652b5254bc081c7eedcec40e5a5f.jpeg

• Like 8

Good to see her in color Phil. It's such a beautiful plane and your OD looks spot on. I have the Academy boxing with a lot of extras from Brassin and the Tamiya one, so I'm naturally interested, how both of them build up.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1