The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Gottfreid Weiroster Bf 109G6 R6 Revell 1/32

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Guys

Kai read my post and I mistakenly read Gaz's post incorrectly, there was nothing in the post about his Dad. I removed the comment from my post and sent a PM to Kai. Please accept my apologies.

Peter  

Same applies to me. Removed my post.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Please accept my apologies too! Thanks!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Lovely work on the „Beulen“ Gary.
Why did you paint the ones on the wings gloss black? Control regarding rework?

What is the brown putty you used for the fuselage-bulges? 

Weirosters face looks great! I should really use oils for face painting.

I also sometimes have the same problem with the Molotow pencils like you. Returned to BMF like you if the oleo is too long.

Looking forward to seeing the next update! 

Thank you, Kai.

If you want to find the tiniest flaws...   gloss black is the way to go.  The brown filler is just Tamiya paint, straight from the can.  I'm experiment with using it as a filler.  I mean...   how different can it be from Mr. Surfacer?  Less sand?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Nothing like sanding, filling, sanding and filling and sanding, unless it's the scribing that has to be replaced caused by all the sanding and filling.  Your making nice progress, just seems as if it's a never ending task. Nice subtle work with the shading on the pilots face - looks so good.

I guess I'm one of the few that still does the oleo's the old fashioned way: gloss black over primers and then Alclad Chrome.  I've been wanting to try the chrome pens as they seem a much better way.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you, Peter.  Really...  the chrome pens are a bit like many teenagers.  Only do exactly what you want them to do part of the time.  So best used rarely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey everyone...  

Not a lot of bench time, so I'm prioritizing our pilot tonight.  If he is in Valhalla...  I hope he is happy with my work.

To paint flesh-tone, you need the following colors.

P1013996.JPG.747315ba9de576bd18389d78953b8963.JPG

Anyway...  here he is...  I even made a stab at painting his eyeballs...  since he actually has them.

P1013998.thumb.JPG.94a6c8d41b62ae126c31b02c2a746f3c.JPG

I hope that once the uniform is complete that his colors look right.

Happy modelling!

• Like 3

I like the shades of the face Gaz, looks convincing to me. The good thing with the oils, is you can adjust later, if it doesn't fit the uniform.
Yesterday, I ordered some Archer eyeball decals, along with some tattoo decals. I suck at eye painting. If I get one right, the other does not fit and the figure looks, like it needs some eye surgery. I will post my results with the eyeball decals. 

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DocRob said:

I like the shades of the face Gaz, looks convincing to me. The good thing with the oils, is you can adjust later, if it doesn't fit the uniform.
Yesterday, I ordered some Archer eyeball decals, along with some tattoo decals. I suck at eye painting. If I get one right, the other does not fit and the figure looks, like it needs some eye surgery. I will post my results with the eyeball decals. 

Cheers Rob

Like Rob said the face looks absolutely convincing.

Interesting to read that there are eyeball decals available. Curious how they will work! 

I use special artist pens with .03 mm and 0,05 mm diameter for the eyeball: 

45DC9673-7140-42B4-818D-B3A31697FDC3.thumb.jpeg.d435b3fc872a457f5110010c319b2fa8.jpeg

79707D4B-A1AB-4B3D-870E-3BE686F6EA6D.thumb.jpeg.18e9d8d5788efe2562aeed49339028c1.jpeg

And it works really nice:

Pappy Boyington:

3B25FD20-2477-4811-8068-6A36F4823062.thumb.png.00896451029b3d318ec0457619838e24.png

H.-U. Rudel:

CA5D8668-0B04-474E-8C5C-21AA565EEB25.thumb.png.5c500c8494b7f2e04b8a39689b7d8faa.png

and finally Guy Gibson:

9BCD9857-8DDF-4BF6-BF85-5B001513977E.thumb.png.a89b16655751d83da1e873b0be0da389.png

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Thanks for the necessary four colors - just being a novice at this, what is the actual red and blue or does it matter which shade of each is used?

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you, Peter.  The shades don't matter as long as you are close to the basic colors.   For instance I wouldn't choose a red that looked tinted orange or any other color.  But if you're buying...  buy from an art supply.  Much cheaper than 'model' colors.  The most important thing is that the flesh color you make looks realistic to you.   I only have a few colors.   White, Red, blue, black, Yellow, burnt umber, burnt sienna, yellow ocher, and terre Verde (a green).  The later four colors were to reduce the amount of mixing required.  But the truth is, as long as you have the first five, you can make any color you want.  I may never need to buy another tube of oil paint.  I waste a lot though.  Because I rarely need as much as I squeeze on to a pallet.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, DocRob said:

Cheers Rob

Thank you, Rob.  I have seen those decals...   but never bought any yet.  I'll look forward to your results.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Like Rob said the face looks absolutely convincing.

Interesting to read that there are eyeball decals available. Curious how they will work! 

I use special artist pens with .03 mm and 0,05 mm diameter for the eyeball: 

45DC9673-7140-42B4-818D-B3A31697FDC3.thumb.jpeg.d435b3fc872a457f5110010c319b2fa8.jpeg

79707D4B-A1AB-4B3D-870E-3BE686F6EA6D.thumb.jpeg.18e9d8d5788efe2562aeed49339028c1.jpeg

And it works really nice:

Pappy Boyington:

3B25FD20-2477-4811-8068-6A36F4823062.thumb.png.00896451029b3d318ec0457619838e24.png

H.-U. Rudel:

CA5D8668-0B04-474E-8C5C-21AA565EEB25.thumb.png.5c500c8494b7f2e04b8a39689b7d8faa.png

and finally Guy Gibson:

9BCD9857-8DDF-4BF6-BF85-5B001513977E.thumb.png.a89b16655751d83da1e873b0be0da389.png

Thank you Kai!  Yes...  I see those pens do a very fine job.  I will use acrylic paint.  The reason for this is the ability to fix your mistakes.  Whenever I paint with acrylics...  I keep a cup of water with a soft paintbrush in it.  If things go awry...   out comes the water and I remove the paint pronto.  With eyes, less is more...  So I'll use a grey color.   But before I can attempt the eyes, I will seal the face to avoid bleed.

Nobody wants Marty Feldman eyes:

Marty-Feldman-featured-e1568839870439.jp

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

After about 6 attempts per eye, they are as finished as they will be.   I discovered that while the right eye is nicely formed the left eye is more like a squint.  But you won't see much since the face is shiny after being sprayed with SMS super clear.P1014002.thumb.JPG.242d4d22d210ed939c8a468c512d30e7.JPG

You'll notice that I started with the uniform. 

I got the best tip a while ago about painting uniform details like piping and belts and other things.  The tip is to paint the detail first and then paint around and up to it.  In this way you end up with figures whose uniforms aren't dominated by piping, belts, and other stuff.

I had some black acrylic paint left on the pallet so I decided to fill in some shadows now.

Happy modelling!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Great looking Herr Weiroster (mit Ritterkreuz!) Gary.

I‘m going to buy the one missing oil-color and try them on my next figure.

Thanks also for the tipp with the painting of uniform details. Very helpful! 

6 hours ago, KevinM said:

Liking it Gazz coming along Nicely!;)

Thank you!

• Like 1

Beulen, beulen, beulen...  ,keep those beulen smoothin'...   Though yer disaproovin'....

With apologies to whoever wrote the 'Rawhide' theme.

I will say that this is the last Revell G6 I'll build.  Between the three manufacturers, Revell, Barracuda, and Eduard, the meeting isn't exactly complete.  So, using CA as my principle filler, I've beaten them into a close proximity of what I'd like them to be.

P1014004.thumb.JPG.9f3092812a2044e36c1107f622aea7ae.JPG

P1014005.thumb.JPG.03236d1c1e569df90c64b5a87090b221.JPG

P1014008.thumb.JPG.3599a54377a96b20bdfb935380bc8306.JPG

P1014009.thumb.JPG.173496c61105f9193b2fe43267be51c7.JPG

Why blue paint?  I don't paint a lot of blue.  I bought it by mistake and I use it to tint colors, or to help me find errors.  It's MRP lacquer.  And I must have sprayed it 6 times today.  To remove it and prevent build-up I used 100% IPA.  Cleans it off like a dream!

...   that's 7 hours of my life I won;t get back.

Anyway....

After that it was time to dry fit the wing pieces.   You'll notice substantial gaps on all sides of the wing center pieces.  As the pieces do not slide laterally...  unless I start cutting away plastic...  I will have to fill all four gaps separately.

P1014006.thumb.JPG.a48969bccd109ba2c6086a29f15ef9c6.JPG

P1014007.thumb.JPG.f95fc557eb5932145ad95c5f233ca552.JPG

I'm thinking the best way to do this is to cement card to the wing root and the wing outer pieces...   and sand them until they fit...   Because I don't want to have to scribe the panel line.

I also needed shims to bring the trailing edges level.  But perhaps the adding the flaps will solve that problem.  I'll have to consult the directions and do a little dry fitting.

• Like 5

Gaz

Unbelievable how bad the kit is both accuracy and fit wise and now add in all the extra work you have needed to correct all the errors. This isn't what the hobby should about, at least not in today's age.  I never realized how well MRP preforms in double checking filling and sanding mistakes and using blue of all colors - nice find for sure. 

Keep 'em comin

Peter 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Beulen, beulen, beulen...  ,keep those beulen smoothin'...   Though yer disaproovin'....

Woah, an outburst of pure frustration and understandable, given what this kit throws at you. In my brain cinema, I will always see the Blues Brothers sing Beulen, Beulen, Beulen,... from now on :icon_eek:.
Said Beulen look good now, I think. Bummer with the needed surgery on the wings. It's not a short gap and on both sides, holy cow.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

What a bad kit Gary! Unbelievable how bad accuracy and fit are!

You did a great job on all the Beulen!

You are right: all time invested in a build to overcome the shortcomings of a kit is lifetime you won’t get back!

The gaps on the wing pieces are horrible! Your chosen method for elimination is the best! 

I have 2 G-6 and one G-10 of the same kit in my stash. Will be the next „Mirage-Project“ when I start it (somewhere in the very far future…)🤮

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, DocRob said:

Woah, an outburst of pure frustration and understandable, given what this kit throws at you. In my brain cinema, I will always see the Blues Brothers sing Beulen, Beulen, Beulen,... from now on :icon_eek:.
Said Beulen look good now, I think. Bummer with the needed surgery on the wings. It's not a short gap and on both sides, holy cow.

Cheers Rob

Thank you, Rob.  I think the worst is over.  Really...  I feel better about achievements like this than slapping together a 'nice' kit.  Sure...  It's a pain the the buttocks.  Had I failed, it would have been a different matter.  But I'm happy now.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

What a bad kit Gary! Unbelievable how bad accuracy and fit are!

You did a great job on all the Beulen!

You are right: all time invested in a build to overcome the shortcomings of a kit is lifetime you won’t get back!

The gaps on the wing pieces are horrible! Your chosen method for elimination is the best! 

I have 2 G-6 and one G-10 of the same kit in my stash. Will be the next „Mirage-Project“ when I start it (somewhere in the very far future…)🤮

Thank you, Kai.  Your Mirage will be something to be proud of.  So...  the extra effort pays off in the heart if not in comparing the relative ease of other kits.   At least, I feel better about mine now.

Amur Reaver makes a correction set for the G-10.  I've already got mine:

RC3214-6.thumb.jpg.c0ba4edd5b81f38a4690d781f94824bc.jpg

Except for the spinner, it's one big piece.

• Like 4