The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Gottfreid Weiroster Bf 109G6 R6 Revell 1/32

As to the Question Gaz I like late war American fighters all silver with colors galore like the German WWI crates.The US Government is giving these guys/kids their very own hot rod and it has 2000HP out front and they get to paint it the way they want in late war.This one is not far from desk.......

Image (41).jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DocRob said:

Is the Eduard one really so bad.

Rob,

While I was building the Eduard 109E, I had this feeling that something wasn't right.  Like it was trying to draw my eye, but I couldn't focus on it.  That all changed when I added the early BoB vintage camo scheme to it.

The following two photos are my build and show an early aircraft of 10. NJG 1.  You'll notice some red lines along the curved, bloated area of the dorsal spine.  This is a huge area, and once you see it...  you can't un-see it.  Instead of a relatively straight taper from the cockpit to the empennage, you have a shape that is quite whale-like.  It is truly the Quasimodo of bf 109 models.

KKWNio.jpg

LqmgYn.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I open a build on LSP years back, trying to fix the fuselage, radiators, propeller, cowling, undercarriage and then I just bin it and got Dragon kits. Life was easy ever since.

While talking to Mr.Sulc in Phoenix, he concluded that Emil is the main reason , why they do not going to entertain the 32nd field again.

end of report

• Like 5

Just now, Martinnfb said:

I open a build on LSP years back, trying to fix the fuselage, radiators, propeller, cowling, undercarriage and then I just bin it and got Dragon kits. Life was easy ever since.

While talking to Mr.Sulc in Phoenix, he concluded that Emil is the main reason , why they do not going to entertain the 32nd field again.

end of report

Who is Mr. Sulc?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

That bold guy from Eduard. CEO 

13418719_1027329453982327_60138132851247

Ah I see...   he admitted to stuffing it up and decided not to fix it or do other 1/32 planes in case they stuff those up too?  Problem is...  they're still flogging the stuffed up kit.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Rob,

While I was building the Eduard 109E, I had this feeling that something wasn't right.  Like it was trying to draw my eye, but I couldn't focus on it.  That all changed when I added the early BoB vintage camo scheme to it.

The following two photos are my build and show an early aircraft of 10. NJG 1.  You'll notice some red lines along the curved, bloated area of the dorsal spine.  This is a huge area, and once you see it...  you can't un-see it.  Instead of a relatively straight taper from the cockpit to the empennage, you have a shape that is quite whale-like.  It is truly the Quasimodo of bf 109 models.

Well, I wasn't so far with my build, to put the fuselage halves together and have a precise look for the dimensions. To my excuse, I have to say, that I took the general shape for granted, with several E-types still existing. How could they get it so wrong?
You're absolutely right, the marked area looks like a camelback. I've to check later and then decide, what to do with it. I've all the AM galore, so binning is not the first option.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

Well, I wasn't so far with my build, to put the fuselage halves together and have a precise look for the dimensions. To my excuse, I have to say, that I took the general shape for granted, with several E-types still existing. How could they get it so wrong?
You're absolutely right, the marked area looks like a camelback. I've to check later and then decide, what to do with it. I've all the AM galore, so binning is not the first option.

Cheers Rob

Rob,

I can understand not wanting to bin it with so much investment.  The only other suggestion I might make is to avoid a scheme like mine where there is a sharp demarcation through the offending area.

I too wondered how they could get it so wrong.  Yet, they still keep selling it. 

• Like 4

That’s a lot of progress you did Gary although you have a cold! Hope you are getting better meanwhile.

Never heard of Synthetic Ordnance Works before but seems to be an awesome stuff! 

Looking at the dry-fitting everything seems to be ok as well as the fit of the landing gear. 

I‘m of the same opinion like you: no 109 F/G on the market in 32nd scale without the need for AM. That’s really a shame.

I‘m really looking forward to seeing the new 109 from Zoukei-Mura! Hopefully without many mistakes. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

That’s a lot of progress you did Gary although you have a cold! Hope you are getting better meanwhile.

Never heard of Synthetic Ordnance Works before but seems to be an awesome stuff! 

Looking at the dry-fitting everything seems to be ok as well as the fit of the landing gear. 

I‘m of the same opinion like you: no 109 F/G on the market in 32nd scale without the need for AM. That’s really a shame.

I‘m really looking forward to seeing the new 109 from Zoukei-Mura! Hopefully without many mistakes. 

Thank you, Kai!  Yeah...  I have great hopes for the ZM kit, too.  But...   they won;t be as nearly inexpensive as the Hasegawa or Revell kits. 

• Like 3

Gaz

Nice work on the front office, looks so good and the fit seems flawless. It is a shame that for what kits cost, so much AM is needed to either correct errors or bring up the level of detail. Even buying Quinta Sets adds a cool $25 to the front office on the average.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Nice work on the front office, looks so good and the fit seems flawless. It is a shame that for what kits cost, so much AM is needed to either correct errors or bring up the level of detail. Even buying Quinta Sets adds a cool $25 to the front office on the average.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you, Peter.  I think I've taken a $50 kit and paid at least another $150 for it on this one.  It'll be worth it if I like it when done.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2021 at 11:14 PM, GazzaS said:

Rob,

KKWNio.jpg

LqmgYn.jpg

Hi Gazza, it might almost not be so bad as you think, after reading about the subject I immediately checked my own models that I have, and they all have a slight "camel back", so I thought they cannot all be wrong? So I took out the scale drawings that I have from the 109 in 1/32 scale, and placed a ruler over the Spine of the aircraft, and found out that there really is a sort of " camel back" , so here are the photo's,

IMG_2090.jpeg.d96e704f5e99fe7896d8a5ca6a581457.jpeg

IMG_2092.jpeg.faa985fbdda8a6e1c17aa901a328ae3e.jpeg

IMG_2095.jpg.c2ddba094ab066acb63cf9cf045278bd.jpg

So I think there really should be a bit of a bulge on the spine and the sides, but not to much of course, so I wouldn't crash land the model in the bin yet if I were you, I hope this helps a bit........

Frank

• Like 3

Some years ago, I took some pictures of a 109 in Chino California. It is a E-1 which was later converted to E-7 and crash landed on a frozen lake, where it sank later and was salvaged in 2003.
I'd say, there is a very slight curved back and also a very slight bulge sideways. 

Cheers Rob

P1070401.thumb.JPG.f861465077a1ceedbac2af4d3a3df98a.JPG

P1070412.thumb.JPG.be0a3b46e70201ef772fae78f1f15e18.JPG

P1070413.thumb.JPG.6abfc798fd4fd18e8f9470eca137b413.JPG

P1070414.thumb.JPG.edc7014fea5212f64ac8e2b5ae05a847.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Trigger said:

Hi Gazza, it might almost not be so bad as you think, after reading about the subject I immediately checked my own models that I have, and they all have a slight "camel back", so I thought they cannot all be wrong? So I took out the scale drawings that I have from the 109 in 1/32 scale, and placed a ruler over the Spine of the aircraft, and found out that there really is a sort of " camel back" , so here are the photo's,

IMG_2090.jpeg.d96e704f5e99fe7896d8a5ca6a581457.jpeg

IMG_2092.jpeg.faa985fbdda8a6e1c17aa901a328ae3e.jpeg

IMG_2095.jpg.c2ddba094ab066acb63cf9cf045278bd.jpg

So I think there really should be a bit of a bulge on the spine and the sides, but not to much of course, so I wouldn't crash land the model in the bin yet if I were you, I hope this helps a bit........

Frank

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

Some years ago, I took some pictures of a 109 in Chino California. It is a E-1 which was later converted to E-7 and crash landed on a frozen lake, where it sank later and was salvaged in 2003.
I'd say, there is a very slight curved back and also a very slight bulge sideways. 

Cheers Rob

P1070401.thumb.JPG.f861465077a1ceedbac2af4d3a3df98a.JPG

P1070412.thumb.JPG.be0a3b46e70201ef772fae78f1f15e18.JPG

P1070413.thumb.JPG.6abfc798fd4fd18e8f9470eca137b413.JPG

P1070414.thumb.JPG.edc7014fea5212f64ac8e2b5ae05a847.JPG

Now....I never said it was perfectly straight on the real thing.  Of course there is a gentle curve.  But on the Eduard kit it is far and away too big AND in the wrong places.  Anyway...   it's up to you...  mine is already in a landfill somewhere.  I certainly won't ever buy another.

• Like 3

Anyway...   enough about Eduard's crappy 109...  Let's get back to Revell's less crappy 109.

Yesterday I joined the control surfaces and let them dry overnight.  Then, this morning I started a final thinning of the trailing edges, followed by painting them to see how they looked.  They looked horrible.  It was patently obvious that they were still too thick in profile with a too-steep taper at the last 2-3MM. 

So, all of that masking and painting I did with them on the sprue was a waste of time.  I should have glued them together from the beginning and then mowed them down with files until I was close.  Let that be a lesson to any of you with a Revell 109 to build.

Now, they are much thinner...

P1013926.thumb.JPG.6eb043f7640f5a85d872411435563d66.JPG

Bright light comes through them, now.  But I will have to re-mask the stitching lines.

The AMUR REAVER spinner and propeller blades arrived yesterday.  I've got them primed-sanded-painted and then wet sanded with 6000 grit micromesh.  The blades are just dry-fitted.

P1013927.thumb.JPG.655e19eff8656aa2eac55957f4a8237e.JPG

Now...   I'm still still waiting on three pieces of resin from Barracuda... 

Happy modelling!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Anyway...   enough about Eduard's crappy 109...  Let's get back to Revell's less crappy 109.

Yesterday I joined the control surfaces and let them dry overnight.  Then, this morning I started a final thinning of the trailing edges, followed by painting them to see how they looked.  They looked horrible.  It was patently obvious that they were still too thick in profile with a too-steep taper at the last 2-3MM. 

So, all of that masking and painting I did with them on the sprue was a waste of time.  I should have glued them together from the beginning and then mowed them down with files until I was close.  Let that be a lesson to any of you with a Revell 109 to build.

Now, they are much thinner...

P1013926.thumb.JPG.6eb043f7640f5a85d872411435563d66.JPG

Bright light comes through them, now.  But I will have to re-mask the stitching lines.

The AMUR REAVER spinner and propeller blades arrived yesterday.  I've got them primed-sanded-painted and then wet sanded with 6000 grit micromesh.  The blades are just dry-fitted.

P1013927.thumb.JPG.655e19eff8656aa2eac55957f4a8237e.JPG

Now...   I'm still still waiting on three pieces of resin from Barracuda... 

Happy modelling!

And that’s exactly the reason why I bought the correction set from Alley Cat.

It‘s really a mess that you wasted your time on the control surfaces!

But the prop seems to lack the ovoid holes for the propeller blades in the spinner? 

• Like 1