The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Bronco Marder II

Gaz

Looking mighty good and your enamel weathering for me is just the ticket: adds life, pops the details and looks perfect. 

Most of the pin washes I use are enamels and need a nice glossy surface to flow at their best. I've also been experimenting with the best solution to move the enamels around and I'm settling on Testor's Enamel Paint Thinner in the red can. Seems to work better for me then While Mineral Spirits or Orderless Paint Thinner.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2

Thank you for the kind words, everyone.

From the beginning, I didn't the Marder to stand alone.  So, I have been building something to share it's space.  And today I started working on the crew.  You'll notice that these three have almost no cover except for a tiny gun shield.

IMG_0202.thumb.JPG.fc292abadc94aaf25387e23bdf7e53e0.JPG

I'm wondering if the seats for gunner and assistant gunner folded away. Because it seems that working in their confined spaces would have been awkward at the least.

Composing the diorama in my head...   I wanted the t-34 to provide some cover in a relatively empty steppe.

IMG_0200.thumb.JPG.10ec5f7725f6d7cfa3432aea7d523ecc.JPG

IMG_0201.thumb.JPG.f407725f3e22fea227dffc065d0a6ae7.JPG

IMG_0204.thumb.JPG.15eec2265a5b351a7f47c8c32e57d0ef.JPG

Nothing is written in stone yet regarding the positioning of the main elements.  Any opinions/ideas?

Happy modelling!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DocRob said:

That's how everything comes together. Nice display, I like it.

Cheers Rob

Thank you! 

4 hours ago, harv said:

I like it the way it is....harv:popcorn:

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Figures look mighty good with lots of molded on details and sometimes 'winging it' works the best.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you, the figures are by miniart.  I really like them. too.

2 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Looking good Gaz, I wish I had some confidence in adding figures it does lift a scene…..

Thank you.   I've only been doing figures for a year or so...and only the two most recent have looked any good.  Just takes a bit of time and practice, I  guess.

2 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

The figures look really nice Gaz! Will bring a lot of life to the diorama.

Positioning of the 2 tanks looks good to me.

Thank you, Kai.  I still have to place the other two crew members.  And they have to fit inside.  And I may put helmets on everyone, as well.  I know I'd want mine on.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Loads of intricate work on those figures with a mighty delicate hand and changing hats - yikes now that’s detailing to an incredible degree. Looking forward to the next update with more work gone on the figures.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Thank you, Peter!  I  hope not to dally on these figures too long.  But oils do demand at least an overnight dry of each color.

• Like 2

Your little Marder looks really busy with the figures, which suits it very well. I always found it very difficult to put a figure into a crammed space in a believable pose. Your crew is looking convincingly good though.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DocRob said:

Your little Marder looks really busy with the figures, which suits it very well. I always found it very difficult to put a figure into a crammed space in a believable pose. Your crew is looking convincingly good though.

Cheers Rob

Thank you, Rob!  It's all about having the right figures, really.  The two seated guys are gunners, one for a Marder III and the other for a Nashorn.  Their arms don't really fit doing anything.  But as this is just a second in time, their hands can be in transit to another position.  Their legs are serviceable, though I have had to shorten a foot and will add what I've removed to portray a flexed foot.

• Like 3

Some good thinking on hollowing the sleeves and slight color variations on multi person displays, I like your approach, Gaz. I will follow your face painting clinic with interest, as I suck in this area, which often keeps me from finishing planned dios with figures.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2021 at 7:13 PM, Kaireckstadt said:

Great start on the figures Gary. Tonal variety for the helmets is a good idea!

Milliput is really great to work with. And you can get it in different colors.

Curious for your next steps!

On 11/3/2021 at 7:29 PM, DocRob said:

Some good thinking on hollowing the sleeves and slight color variations on multi person displays, I like your approach, Gaz. I will follow your face painting clinic with interest, as I suck in this area, which often keeps me from finishing planned dios with figures.

Cheers Rob

On 11/3/2021 at 10:09 PM, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Nice start on the figures and greatly appreciate your comments and how to do’s. Please keep going slow with tiny steps as there is so much learn!

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

On 11/3/2021 at 11:48 PM, harv said:

Nice !!.....harv :popcorn:

Thank you for the kind sentiments, my friends.

After a week of very minor steps, I got a fair bit done today.  The pics are captioned sparing further explanation.

IMG_0225.thumb.JPG.e2ad2e9be204de3a9aa013afa1092445.JPG

IMG_0242.thumb.JPG.4dd31dd2627e6e95aa17937067145a4f.JPG

IMG_0228.thumb.JPG.74c20b9e17b6c57d1ca70059503a5295.JPG

IMG_0241.thumb.JPG.908fed4e0be07706f55a492f644511f0.JPG

IMG_0232.thumb.JPG.8179657695d0e3343ab318d24f03e97e.JPG

As always...   my text editor needs to be sacked.

IMG_0234.thumb.JPG.cf80b1126227ab9723ea92a67935e20d.JPG

IMG_0235.thumb.JPG.80e1ec9abb9c84e471e8ade21ab1d426.JPG

Sheesh...   was I drunk when I did this?  Sadly...  I have no such excuse.

IMG_0233.thumb.JPG.29c43903cd0430ec993f522a4394d06e.JPG

Happy modelling!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Gaz

Thank you for the close ups on painting the faces ... absolutely your gentle touch worked very well. The light weathering on the Marder looks very effective and when  I look closely, I can see the dot filters. My kind of weathering for sure.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DocRob said:

The Marder is coming together nicely Gaz. I'd say, that adding a darker dust color in places might be a good idea.

Cheers Rob

12 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Thank you for the close ups on painting the faces ... absolutely your gentle touch worked very well. The light weathering on the Marder looks very effective and when  I look closely, I can see the dot filters. My kind of weathering for sure.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

11 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Copy Peter, Gary: Weathering looks spot on to me! 

Thank you, fellas!

• Like 4

G'day ladies and gents,

Today's modelling was shortened by the need to replace my pool pump.  The bearings had gotten so noisy that I had to disconnect the timer, and run the thing during full daylight hours.  I didn't want to become the a[hole of the neighborhood.

So, today I got onto the faces and uniforms.  Pic's are captioned...   well...  most of them, anyway.

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG

• Like 6