Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Gaspatch Henschel Hs123 1/48 scale

GazzaS

Hi everybody!

When I came back to modelling a few years ago, the Henschel Hs 123 was high on my list of planes I would some day like to build.  At the time however, the only kit was by Italeri.  So, the moment I saw this one being advertised via a WIP at Aeroscale, I ordered one forthwith.

Since receiving it, I've developed a preference for larger scale kits.  But I knew I'd never see one in 1/32.  So I've had it in the back of my mind for some time. 

It comes with some nice features.  The best way I can describe it as 1/48 meets WNW meets WWII.  Here are some shots from the instruction booklet,

IMG_0075.thumb.JPG.3da47494e40e377f50fd2f0bed4234fd.JPG

IMG_0074.thumb.JPG.f1f52ac4e17c0167575d51df7bf5adc5.JPG

IMG_0077.thumb.JPG.6d516325fd31d0dcf19c43c77ae599af.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG.033945973963966711b2b1d227ac269f.JPG\

IMG_0147.JPG.663e52c255276dd5425df2a16e1f70f8.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG.57cba2a4ad2186f6535daad0ad24ca65.JPG

IMG_0149.JPG.ae7fd5b8b5f9f58e9b1fb7626fbd5abb.JPG

Lots of options.  Lots of parts.  Lots of detail.  Heh...  It even has tie-owns under the wings so that it can be tied down to a base just as it was tied down to a windswept airfield.  And, helpfully...  a cardboard jig to help you get the wheels aligned properly.

I did a little bit saturday.  And today I worked with some photoetch.

IMG_0073.thumb.JPG.4940e3043c48cf730a43a50839140e88.JPG

Happy modelling!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Nice choice Gaz, I was thinking about buying one more than once. With the kits which IBG and ICM, maybe Roden offered in the last time, there maybe is a chance of a LS-version. If it would be the better choice, I don't know, as the Gaspatch kit looks muy bueno.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gaz

Awesome kit and looking forward to following your progress. I build both in 32nd and 48th scale scale these days so I can have models that are of importance to me and fill out my collection.

I'm along for the journey :popcorn:

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DocRob said:

Nice choice Gaz, I was thinking about buying one more than once. With the kits which IBG and ICM, maybe Roden offered in the last time, there maybe is a chance of a LS-version. If it would be the better choice, I don't know, as the Gaspatch kit looks muy bueno.

Cheers Rob

Rob,

it would be sweet if ICM offered one.  Certainly more interesting than a Falco.  ICM are quite bold when it comes to molding fine shapes.  But they aren't much for other niceties such as PE.   Even if Roden did make one, I doubt it would be of this quality.  They've showed us with the recent SPAD release that they have no interest in improving their product.

• Like 2

Nice choice Gaz,

I also have one on the bench at the moment. The fit of the kit is truly excellent. I intend to rivet mine. Using both the MMP and Top Drawings plans, I have found a small error in the luggage hatch on the port fuselage upper may be a little long (2mm to the rear) as it appears to dissect a panel line that GP didn’t include. Once I confirm and rectify I shall post a picture.

Dive in and enjoy some quality engineering and fit!

Regards,

Kent

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2021 at 2:16 AM, Bomber_County said:

Looking forward to this Gaz, never seen one of these built up. Looking nice already..

Thank you, Phil!

5 hours ago, kahunaminor said:

Nice choice Gaz,

I also have one on the bench at the moment. The fit of the kit is truly excellent. I intend to rivet mine. Using both the MMP and Top Drawings plans, I have found a small error in the luggage hatch on the port fuselage upper may be a little long (2mm to the rear) as it appears to dissect a panel line that GP didn’t include. Once I confirm and rectify I shall post a picture.

Dive in and enjoy some quality engineering and fit!

Regards,

Kent

Kent, nice to hear from you again.   It's been a while.  I'll be looking forward perhaps to seeing some of your work on it.  I haven't delved in too deep as I've had other projects going.  

I'm completely talent less when it comes to riveting.  Just can't make a straight line.  I can use Dymo tape, or a metal straight edge...   but my riveter or scriber will always find a way to drift away.  I can;t imagine trying to rivet over my CA repairs.

Anyway...   great to see you, mate.

• Like 1