The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32nd scale Halifax: *project complete*

Still making slow steps and have got the exhausts finished off. They're not 100% accurate but considering they've been built completely from scratch they'll do and are a close enough representation of the late exhaust system fitted to the Merlin powered Halifaxes.

Each one was made from Evergreen 'girder', with each section being cut separately and mounted to a plastic card backing plate at the correct angle and then sanded to shape:

S1030006-2.jpg

Here's the painting process underway:

S1030009-1.jpg

And then fitted to the nacelles:

S1030037-Copy.jpg

S1030040-Copy.jpg

S1030046.jpg

S1030043-1.jpg

I think getting the undercarriage completed is next on my list...

Tom

• Like 1

Hi Thomas, I really like your exhaust staining. Its funny how that alone adds so much to a model especially when done well. One question, did the staining from the inner engines carry onto the horizontal stabilizers? Your scratch building is awesome BTW.

Cheers Bevan

Not likely, the tailplane is higher op the fuselage. As the Lancaster tailplane is set low on the fuselage,

exhaust staining was a common thing. The grey/white colour in the exhaust stain had something to do with the

lead in the fuel I believe.

Cees

• Like 1

Cees is correct, the white is lead deposits from the engines running lean in the cruise as far as my research suggests.

The tail-planes were out of the way of the exhausts, but the lower fins did gather a bit of staining. This is more visible on the white Coastal Command schemes, but less so on the black Halifaxes.

Tom

• Like 2

The undercarriage is now more or less complete.

The main struts were painted along with the main airframe, so the first task was to spray the retraction mechanisms matt black. Earlier in the build, these were scratch-built from plastic card and Evergreen strip, along with some wall tacs and cotton bud shafts:

S1030557.jpg

Here they are painted, with a light weathering of dark grey to bring out some detail, and the actuation struts covered in self adhesive foil:

S1030049.jpg

After painting and weathering the main wheels with some pigments, everything was installed on the model. The final touch was to add some brake lines:

S1030055-1.jpg

S1030075-1.jpg

S1030086-1.jpg

S1030096-1.jpg

S1030068.jpg

S1030059-1.jpg

Considering the whole of the undercarriage has been scratch-built, I don't think it's come out too badly.

Now to busy myself making some undercarriage doors... 

Until the next update,

Tom

• Like 2

Wow love the look of the weighted tires. Up until now I haven't tried that but will on the Ju88. Is there any special technique to doing that?

Ralph.

Hi Ralph,

Many thanks, and no, it's quite simple really. As these wheels are resin I used a broad file and just flattened the bottoms until I was happy with the look.

With plastic wheels you can do the same, or another technique it so push them on to a hot iron - but don't keep them there for too long or you'll be spreading molten plastic over your best shirt for months!

Tom

• Like 1

Tom,

Still lost fir words but that looks very much like a great Halifax undercart. The wheeldoors cut out

Were intended to let part of the tyre to protrude. These are shown as half elliptical shapes.

These were lined with a rubber seal that closed the opening between the doors and tyre.

Cheers

Cees

Tom,

The wheel doors cut out were intended to let part of the tyre to protrude. These are shown as half elliptical shapes.

These were lined with a rubber seal that closed the opening between the doors and tyre.

Cheers

Cees

Hi Cees, with the above in mind, here's another update for you...

Undercarriage doors:

The final part of the undercarriage was to add the doors. These had been saved from earlier in the build when they removed from the inboard nacelles. All I had to do was cut out the aperture in each door for the wheel to protrude when retracted (I used the Granger plans as a guide) paint them, and attach them to their positions on the nacelle. They've reduced the slightly stalky appearance of the landing gear now and I'm really pleased with how the model now looks - I feel I've got the 'sit' just right.

S1030099-1.jpg

S1030110.jpg

S1030114.jpg

Engine firewall:

I've also begun some preliminary work on the firewall for the exposed engine number two. I'm going to build this as a separate item, which will then slot on to the nacelle when completed. So far I've completed the basic framework and made the large air intake for the cabin heating system. This was only present on the inboard engines and thus explains the presence of the intake on top of engines two and three. This was made fairly easily from plastic card and Evergreen, with the mesh on the intake coming from Cammett:

S1030118.jpg

S1030123.jpg

S1030127.jpg

S1030130.jpg

I can't really add much more until the engine arrives, as the mounts and plumbing can't be made until I've got the engine itself to work with. There's still plenty to be getting on with elsewhere in the build though!

Until next time,

Tom

Tom,

You have really captured the sit and look of the undercart. Noticed you fitted the outer bombdoors too.

The inner will be fitted later?

Will you fit bombs too?

I know, questions questions, but with every update this gets better and better,

Cees

Tom,

You have really captured the sit and look of the undercart. Noticed you fitted the outer bombdoors too.

The inner will be fitted later?

Will you fit bombs too?

I know, questions questions, but with every update this gets better and better,

Cees

Thanks Cees.

Yes the inner doors will be added later - I've left them off for the time being to make access to the bay easier as there is still some final detailing to be done. Being a Coastal Command machine I may well scratch-build the long range auxiliary fuel tanks that they carried in the bomb-bay, and leave the wings cells empty so you can see the racks and shackles etc (which I'm yet to make!) I presume they would have carried depth charges in the wing cells but I'd quite like to show some of my detail work off.

Tom

Hi Ralph,

Many thanks, and no, it's quite simple really. As these wheels are resin I used a broad file and just flattened the bottoms until I was happy with the look.

With plastic wheels you can do the same, or another technique it so push them on to a hot iron - but don't keep them there for too long or you'll be spreading molten plastic over your best shirt for months!

Tom

LOL Tom!!! Thanks for the tire tip and the ironing shirt advice. I'm anxious to try this on my Ju88 and future builds. Really like the look.

Thanks again.

Ralph.

Problem solved...

The issue is that I've uploaded fairly large sized pictures, and with the number of views I've had recently it's meant I'm over my monthly limit.

On the 14th of the month it'll be reset so they should all reappear again.

Tom

Just for Cees, I have opened a second photobucket account so I can post some more progress...

I've been working on the dinghy this week and now have it finished and installed it in the wing.

Earlier on in the build when I was working on the wings, I built the dinghy stowage area which is in the left wing:

IMG_1932.jpg

Try as I might, I couldn't find any pictures of the Halifax's dinghy arrangement (should have thought of that before I opened up the wing!) but I could find a fair few of the Lancaster. I imagine the set up would be fairly similar, so I started by making the stowed dinghy itself from Milliput. I added the indentations from the stowage casing by pressing Evergreen strip in the correct places whilst the Milliput was still drying, and then added the lattice work from thin masking tape covered in PVA glue. The hole for the compressed air hose was also added at this point whilst the Milliput was still pliable. When it was dry, it got a light sanding to rectify any blemishes:

S1030138.jpg

I then made the hatch cover from plastic card and Evergreen:

S1030133.jpg

The dinghy was then painted insignia yellow, a couple of stencils added, and then it was weathered lightly. I made the compressed air cylinder from some off cuts of old sprue, and then added the air hose from thin electrical wire. Finally, the hatch was covered in self adhesive foil, and then it was all installed in the wing:

S1030141.jpg

S1030148.jpg

S1030150.jpg

S1030153.jpg

As I said, this is based on the Lancaster's arrangement so may not be completely accurate for a Halifax, but it adds a little more interest to the wing which I'm pleased about.

Tom

• Like 2

I've been having a play with the rear turret this week.

The Halifax has a very distinctive rear defensive point, and although the parts supplied in the kit would probably be acceptable, there's a rather troublesome joint line that would would detract from the overall look of the turret. As you can see here from this earlier picture, it runs right through the centre of the turret and would be tricky to eliminate effectively:

S1030624.jpg

What I want to do is make a turret that is moulded in one piece thus eliminating the join. The real thing is quite bulbous in shape as these pictures show (used for illustrative purposes only)

h026.jpg

Halifaxtailturret.jpg

So it was out with the Milliput to see what I could come up with:

S1030164.jpg

S1030168.jpg

S1030160.jpg

S1030156.jpg

The slightly bulged side blisters still need to be added, and when these are done I think it will be passable. There are gaps around the exterior at this point and this master isn't a snug fit as I have to make allowances for the thickness of the plastic when it's moulded.

Now... where's the vacuum forming gubbins..?

I'll update you again when I've a done a couple of test shots...

Tom

• Like 1