The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32nd scale Halifax: *project complete*

A little more to share with you this evening...

I've painted the upper cockpit internals and added them to the engineer's/pilot's bulkhead. I added some thin wire to represent the radio mast wiring that runs down the left side roof strut:

S1030124.jpg

S1030126.jpg

I've also had a final test fit of the cockpit glazing, and have also started to prepare the nose transparency. They fit superbly, and I'm glad I spent a lot of time earlier in the build trimming and test-fitting as is't paid dividends now:

S1030132.jpg

S1030136.jpg

I've also added the internal framework to the wing-cell bomb winch apertures:

S1030137.jpg

And have finished off the roof escape hatch framework:

S1030129.jpg

And finally I've made the trim tab actuators on the elevators and rudders from card and stretched sprue:

S1030139.jpg

S1030143.jpg

A few more small steps completed.

The next job will be to attach the cockpit transparency and paint the internal framing, as well as continuing to add the smaller details such as fuel tank vents and various other aerials.

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 4

Tom,

There is a quite thick yellow wiring loom running from the overhead panel in the

Top of the canopy that runs down the canopy frame on starboard. If you take a look

At my cockpit you can see it. It is very prominent. That is if you are fitting the

Overhead panel too.

Cees

Tom,

There is a quite thick yellow wiring loom running from the overhead panel in the

Top of the canopy that runs down the canopy frame on starboard. If you take a look

At my cockpit you can see it. It is very prominent. That is if you are fitting the

Overhead panel too.

Cees

Thanks Cees - typically I've read this too late and have attached the glazing... not the end of the world, and once the thick framing has been applied it'll hopefully not be too noticeable...  

The cockpit glazing is now complete, and has been faired into the main airframe:

S1030156.jpg

The de-icer units have also been made from plastic card and stretched sprue and added to the front of the windscreen:

S1030161.jpg

S1030163.jpg

S1030165.jpg

From the front the distinctive shape of the Halifax cockpit becomes apparent - I feel the kit captures this well:

S1030169.jpg

I've also made a start on priming the model - I've begun at the tail end and will work my way forwards. Halfords' white primer was used as this shows up any blemishes well. So far, so good:

S1030171.jpg

S1030173.jpg

And a couple of shots with the cockpit complete:

S1030179.jpg

S1030183.jpg

Jut a final few aerials to add now...

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 1

Hi Tom,

That looks great, you won't miss the counduit cable running down the frames by the look of it.

Sorry to say that the kit doesn't really portray the look of the Halifax. The nose and tail did not taper

at all. The assymmetrical section in front of the windscreen was almost flat. I spent hours cutting to get

that right, even to the point to transplant plastic. But it seems to have worked very well.

You are doing a fantastic jobj. :)

Cees

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm finally in a position to declare construction work complete and the big Halibag is ready for the painting process to begin.

Before I start painting I wanted to get the exhausts done in case there was any major alterations needed to the nacelles - this would be a bit of a headache if the painting was complete and I had to cut/sand things.

The Halifax I am replicating was fitted with Merlin 22s and drove the four-bladed props, and was fitted with the late style of exhaust. I was relieved about this as they would be much easier to replicate than the 'saxaphone stacks' found on the earlier Merlin-powered Halifaxes.

Here's what they looked like on the real aircraft (used for illustrative purposes only):

gillexhaustBIIsrsI.jpg

My effort was produced using some U-shaped Evergreen strip, cut into individual stacks and shaped accordingly, and then mated to a plastic-card backing piece, which in turn will attach directly to the nacelle:

S1030231-1.jpg

S1030235-1.jpg

They still need a bit of refining, but you get the idea. Whilst paint is drying I'll be able to make the rest.

I've also scratch-built a few more of the aerials found on the real aircraft - the DF loop was made from Milliput, and the small grab- handle was made from Evergreen strip:

S1030224.jpg

The balance horns on the ailerons were also made from thin steel tubing bent to shape and Milliput:

S1030222.jpg

Other aerials will still need to be made and added, but these will go on after primer as the whole model will be micro meshed and I know I'll end up knocking any finer bits off!

The cockpit has been carefully masked and the frames primed with green:

S1030226.jpg

And now here we are, ready for painting to commence:

S1030220.jpg

S1030208.jpg

S1030202.jpg

The first job will be paint the squadron codes and wing roundels so I'll keep you updated as I progress.

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 1

Utterly beautiful! Maybe someday,( probably after they up my brain meds :lol: ), I'll attempt to scratchbuild something that I can't find commercially

Until I then, I'll just drool over my keyboard at the fantastic work you guys do and share with us!

Fantastic job Tom,

The canopy framing looks especially like the real thing.

Do you have photographic reference on that grab rail on top of the fuselage?

That was one of the first things they removed in the cleaning up process. On

the Mk I series I A they were deleted.

The balance weight was fitted further outbord at the end of the ailerons.

Cees

Fantastic job Tom,

The canopy framing looks especially like the real thing.

Do you have photographic reference on that grab rail on top of the fuselage?

That was one of the first things they removed in the cleaning up process. On

the Mk I series I A they were deleted.

The balance weight was fitted further outbord at the end of the ailerons.

Cees

Hi Cees,

Thanks - I was pleased with how the canpoy turned out considering the grief it had given me. It's not perfect, but it'll do!

I used a profile drawing of the aircraft I'm making as a guide, and it had the handrail pictured - however as it's not an actual photo this must be taken into consideration. It'll be easy enough to remove, but it'll be a shame as I was actually quite pleased with it!

I used the Granger plans for the positioning of the balance horns, but I think they show the wing of the MkI so you are likely right about their position - I'll have a look at some pictures and move them outboard if it's the case.

This is just amazing.

Now I want someone to release an injection mould kit so my soft-ass person doesn't have to replicate all your hard work.

It's bound to happen - story of my life!

Utterly beautiful! Maybe someday,( probably after they up my brain meds :lol: ), I'll attempt to scratchbuild something that I can't find commercially

Until I then, I'll just drool over my keyboard at the fantastic work you guys do and share with us!

Get yourself a vac and have some real fun... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the interest chaps!

Tom

Tom,

You could always explain that it was a personal mod by the crew to have the grabrail. Nobody could tell you

it's wrong.

Cees :D

That's very true... until some smart Alec comes along once I've finished and shows me a picture of the real thing! :lol:

Tom

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since the last update as painting this model is taking some serious time...

I have finally settled on a colour scheme, and have gone for a Halifax GRII Series IA, that began life in Bomber Command and was then transferred to Coastal Command. The serial number was JP328, and she flew with initially with 502 Squadron (wearing the codes V9-H) and finally with 58 Squadron (coded BY-H) at St. Davids throughout the summer of 1944 until the end of hostilities, being SOC on 6th May 1945 and sold for scrap. Interestingly, this aircraft retained its Bomber Command colours, with the only change being the serial and codes painted grey rather than the more familiar red codes in her previous role. 

JP328 was fitted with Merlin 22 engines driving four bladed propellers, and was fitted with the late radiator intakes and Morris Block radiators - perfect for the model I have chosen.

Another reason for choosing this scheme is the fact that the Halifax served with distinction within Bomber and Coastal Commands, and this hybrid scheme represents both services and is my own little tribute to them.

I initially primed the model with Halfords' white primer - I feel this shows up blemishes more easily than grey and polishes better with micro-mesh. After I had rectified a few surface blemishes I pre-shaded the upper surfaces with matt black, and then sprayed the area where the fuselage codes go grey. The codes were carefully measured and then masked off with thin Tamiya tape in preparation for the top coats. 

Next came the roundels - a coat of slightly darkened Humbrol gloss red, which was masked and then followed by the 'roundel' blue from Xtracolour, which was again darkened slightly as I felt it was a little 'too' blue. The whole roundel was then carefully masked in preparation for the camouflage colours.

I really like Xtracolour's range of enamels, and I used gloss dark earth, followed by gloss dark green. The camouflage pattern was sprayed freehand using a Badger 200 airbrush, and with the pressure low and the nozzle screwed tight, it was easy to get a nice and tight feathered edge. I then picked out random areas of the upper surfaces with with slightly lightened and darkened versions of the base colours, trying to follow pictures of real Halifaxes as best I could. 

The following pictures show the current state of play - it doesn't look the best due to the high-gloss sheen but this will be matted down in due course:

S1030308.jpg

S1030319.jpg

S1030321.jpg

S1030328.jpg

I will now turn my attention to the black undersides and will update you again when that's done.

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 3