The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 Rocket Science: Me 163 (Meng)

• Administrators

Hi all,

I know I shouldn't start yet another build, but after opening the box on this kit, it got the better of me.

I rummaged through old spares boxes I found some PK Tinyland Luftwaffe hatches, CMK cockpit, Eduard exterior and interior, Master Barrels, Aeromaster decals and MDC mk108's.

It's not that this kit needs much, BUT with all this stuff lying around AND me never touching the Hasegawa kits in the stash anymore, I thought I'd see what can be used.

I haven't decided on a scheme yet, other than that it will not be the red Wolfgang Späte plane.

I made a small start by cutting out some access hatches in the fuselage. Added a PE flange in the opening. The doors will be suspended by a chord from the opening.

null_zpse3cf56e2.jpg

• Like 4

• Administrators

Thnx guys,

I really can't wait till Eduard treats us to a special set for this kit. But the extensive old Eduard set for the Hasegawa kit has a lot of parts that can be used. The seatbelts for instance are not up to HGW quality, but are better than the Meng seat belts that are made from single PE parts. As I go along I'll see what I can use.

The Meng seatbelts are (in my eyes) too small (almost 1/48-ish) and too simple.

155f435b-a514-45c1-8c4d-62fb6d50745c_zps

• Administrators

Here's the seat from Eduard. James asked me if it fits, but I think that question belongs to sissies. In my opinion a real modeler doesnt fit anything but builds and paints the entire seat, super glues the delicate seatbelts to it and then! sees if it fits.

null_zps220e5042.jpg

• Like 7

• Administrators

.........James asked me if it fits, but I think that question belongs to sissies. In my opinion a real modeler doesnt fit anything but builds and paints the entire seat, super glues the delicate seatbelts to it and then! sees if it fits.

I knew you were hardcore, but I had no idea THIS much. That deserves a serious amount of respect, and a week at a sanatorium.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Hi guys and gals,

Working on the cockpit tub. The fuel tanks (left and right) are too smooth in this kit. The straps can use more detail.

I cut off the four straps that cover the tanks. Brushed them with very thin Micro cement. Waited. And then stamped structure in them with a stubby brush.

Next up: adding the Eduard PE straps! This set is amazing for this kit. Even the seat fits! :)

You can see the PE straps in the fret. Parts 57 and 58.

null_zpseb3984e6.jpg

• Like 2

Nice start on the 'pit Jeroen, considering that PE set is for the Hasegawa Komet it shouldn't be too long before they release a version for the Meng kit.  I like the blackened look to the metal (or did you pre-paint it??).

• Administrators

Hi Grant,

I can't help it. Everything turns black in my hands... 

Trust me. This PE set has a lot of potential for this kit. I doubt Eduard will make such an extensive set for this kit.

Even though it clearly would benefit from it...

The tip on the thine cement to structure the tanks was a tip from James.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I wish I'd gone the Eduard route for the pit. The Meng pit looks half developed...missing linksages, pipes, levers, straps etc. The rest of the kit is real nice, so that's a disappointment. If anyone can fix that office, it's the man and his orrifice....

• Administrators

Looking fantastic Jeroen... I will be following yours and Jims lead on this... I thinking of ordering one in the coming weeks.

Have you decided on a scheme yet?

Yes..

I was thinking silver and blue.

Like this:

mo-claiborne-car.jpg

You like?

• Like 1

• Administrators

Did some work on the pit today:

Replaced the entire back wall of the pit with Greencard. Made a new armor plate with very thin Greencard.

Used Eduard PE for the framing behind the seat. Very nice stuff. And amazingly all this PE fits this kit as if it was made for it.

The IP is the Eduard pre colored one.

null_zpsc07b20b9.jpg

• Like 2

• Administrators

Thnx guys!

@ George: I'm not always a fan of Eduard's pre colored stuff, but for IP's I think it can work.

I give them a matt finish and use Micro clear for the dials. Presto.

I am opening more hatches in the hull. Pretty fun work. Making the hole to exactly match the PE flange.

null_zps2882bac8.jpg

And I'm prepping the pit for painting. Adding liquid mask to the windows.

null_zpsf8f11609.jpg

Today the MK108 shackles I ordered came in. One for James, one for me. Should look great on the wooden base.

null_zps3f07c563.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 1

Did some work on the pit today:

Replaced the entire back wall of the pit with Greencard. Made a new armor plate with very thin Greencard.

Used Eduard PE for the framing behind the seat. Very nice stuff. And amazingly all this PE fits this kit as if it was made for it.

The IP is the Eduard pre colored one.

null_zpsc07b20b9.jpg

Good old Green Card, photo etch and the original kit parts, what a wonderful hobby this is !  Keep up the good works Jeroen !