The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 Rocket Science: Me 163 (Meng)

• Administrators

Thnx Guys,

I'm really struggling with this build. Mostly in ways of reference.

The Vf241 had it's canons and engine removed. However... i am building it with all internal organs in place.

Let's say I'm building it before it had surgery....

There's a lot of discussion about the colors on this plane. Did it have even RLM81 color on the top wings and wing roots? Was the underside yellow?

I'm going by what i can see myself in B/W photo's... No splinter camo on top. And walk lines painted by RAF! They could well be red..

Net up: mottling.

AEF13623-BE72-400E-AC8E-D4C352D19490_zps

685BDDDD-A881-4CAE-9CDE-55C013529A6F_zps

• Like 4

• Administrators

Thnx guys,

well, the biggest hurdle is figuring out what colour profile is correct.

Let's assume the underside was yellow. 

Then there's still the question on the colour of the upper wings. I believe after studying the few available photo's, that they were an even dark green.

Not splinter camo. And they clearly show the RAF roundels. It's unbelievable how many different and incorrect colour scheme's can be found.

vf241-13.jpg

The photo below clearly shows the overpainting of the underside with a lighter colour. But also english stenciling...

My wild guess is they are not present on the decal sheet. Haven't checked yet :)

vf241-14.jpg

And, if you look at this photo, you'll see another challenge shining through the roundel:

vf241-16.jpg

Hey Jeroen great work so far. Awesome photos, nice and crisp! Its always a guessing game to some extent on those late war camo colours!! Good luck. But I would say that the generator prop is not 76 or yellow, could it be painted a certain colour by a sub contractor? 02 perhaps? Cheers Bevan

There's a well known shot of a blown up Komet with a red spinner to the generator prop. The image, though of grotty quality up close, seems to show dark green blades. I wouldn't put it past the RLM to expect these to be treated the same as any other prop - RLM 70.. but who knows?

Could all the upper surface/tail and that bit of airbrushing along a panel line be of RAE origin? As this was being flown, they'd make sure it was nicely done up.

Really one of the nicest renditions of an RAF painted Luftwaffe aircraft I've seen.

Matt