The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Another Trumpeter P-51C air racer WIP

Since I'm into building air racers right now I decided to build another Trumpeter P-51B air racer. This time it will be "The Houstonian". Not quite as flashy as my others but still a good looking racer.:)

3-14-22 001.jpg

Houstonian 1.jpg

24P511472.png

• Like 9

• JohnB changed the title to Another Trumpeter P-51C air racer WIP
43 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Wow, faster than I can take the shrink wrap off a new kit and you're on to the next build. 

The engine looks to be leaking a fair bit of oil in that pic. 

Carl

Keeping busy Carl. :) Oil all over probably from running it hard racing would be my estimation. 😉

• Like 5

Done with the '26 so now it's back to the Houstonian P-51. This a/c, as on my earlier racer P-51C build, has the dorsal strake. No problemo since I have (had) several I can transplant. :)

3-17-22 A.jpg

3-17-22 B.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

You're a machine and your work is simply top notch.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you Peter. This one is giving me fits as it doesn't FIT! Wings to fuselage had them drooping so I had to do some surgery on the roots and make some super glue adjustments. Also problems with the exhaust shrouds not sitting "right". I've put it away for today and will get back to it tomorrow.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GazzaS said:

C'mon man.  Is it done yet?  I was expecting two completions from you today, John.

LOL Gaz. It's well along but the fit of the wings to the fuselage is BAD. I've had to do a lot of trimming and shimming to get a proper dihedral. Super glue, putty, and plastic strips are necessary. A bit of a cuss factor I have to say. I think the Trumpeter folks had the "B" team on this area.

• Like 3

On 3/19/2022 at 1:29 AM, JohnB said:

I think the Trumpeter folks had the "B" team on this area.

Well...   I've had three Trumpeter kits.  I have yet to get one done by the A team.  So I haven't considered buying any more.  But apparently they are the only game in town when it comes to a Razorback.

10 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Well...   I've had three Trumpeter kits.  I have yet to get one done by the A team.  So I haven't considered buying any more.  But apparently they are the only game in town when it comes to a Razorback.

Sad but true Gaz. I built one of their razorback P-47's a while back and, if I remember correctly, it wasn't all that bad. They wasted a lot of plastic on all that ducting, etc on the interior and I didn't use any of it. One thing they seem to always do is over-do rivet detail. On this P-51 I spread putty and sealer over the wings to tone them down especially since this particular a/c was converted to wet wings for cross country racing and had smooth wing surfaces, etc. I think Tamiya or Hasegawa are missing the boat by not having these two in their 1/32 lineup.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Your P-51C is looking mighty good and I've never seen you on this type of roll - you're working at a speed I just can't fathom.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

LOL Peter. Keeps me from getting bored with life. 😄 I need to have something to do that I enjoy so I devote a lot of time to building.

1 hour ago, JohnB said:

LOL Peter. Keeps me from getting bored with life. 😄 I need to have something to do that I enjoy so I devote a lot of time to building.

Seems John you have found that niche of non-boredom materials for yourself that's Good!;)

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, KevinM said:

Seems John you have found that niche of non-boredom materials for yourself that's Good!;)

Better than trying to find anything on the TV worth watching. 😉

• Like 1