Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Trumpeter 1:24 Hurricane

James H

• Administrators

Hi all,

Can anyone give me any reasonable and accurate intel on the Trumpeter 1:24 Hurricane kits?

Is there any good AM for it, and is it even worth bothering with. I don't fancy bashing a PCM kit. The Airfix 1:24 is too long in the tooth, and the Revell 1:32 isn't even worth considering.

Over to you....

It's absolutely superb. The best Trumpy kit I've seen. Builds wonderfully and the surface detail is really accurate. Decals pants as always. I suggest Montex masks for realism and hobby decal dry rub stencils. AM Sutton harness from eduard?

The mark one has only a fat rotol spinner. I used an airfix spitfire spinner. I hear the mark 2 is great too.

Really nice kits James. And if you want a little extra, Trumpeter do their own PE set, sold separately. Mastercasters also do some funky looking PE panels too:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TU02415

One thing though, if you plan on displaying the engine then be aware that it is not at all accurate! It's the same engine that's in the Spit kit that I did and that was a pretty poor representation of a Merlin!  

I understand it is the best Hurri kit in any scale.  I really wish Trumpy would scale it down and release a 1/32 version of it - I'd have several in my stash then!

Doug

P.S. I really wish by some miracle a mask maker would do 1/24 markings for Tuck's DT-A so I could build mine ;)

P.S. I really wish by some miracle a mask maker would do 1/24 markings for Tuck's DT-A so I could build mine ;)

Errrr, you just need to ask, I will be doing my 1/32 scale kit in Tuck's markings B)

Mal, how far along is this build?

James, the cockpit is about done but I got myself all in a tizzwazz over the undercarriage bay and, having lost my modelling mojo around then, it has been languishing on the to do sometime soon pile for a couple of years! :(

Yea Mal how far? Maybe we will let you into our little Hurricane gang!

Oooooooh! a Hurricane gang now that sounds dangerous, I'll be up for that :rolleyes:

Yes!! PCM Hurricane build! I have both the fabric and the metal wing kit!

Which of the kit markings in the metal-wing kit had the DeHavilland prop?

As for Jim's question: the Trumpeter is the better one and looks real good! I personally have a set of Techmod decals for it, although the codes are a bit dark...

Eh? You're jesting I'm sure?

​Yes, I jest. But….I was an Alter boy. May be it was because Father Z was having a thing with Sister Marilyn that there wasn't any "issue's". They both got "removed" and they eventually married. (no baloney)

Anyway….Back on topic. Friend of mine, Gunner Mike, had one of those Hurricane kits. Very nice is an understatement. He bought  all the AM stuff he could find then sold the whole thing for $125 without even starting it. He even included a tarmac base he made for it.

• Like 1

• Administrators

It is decided. I'll build the metal wing PCM Hurricane, and complete in the colours of Ray Holmes' machine. This is the one which rammed the Do 17, slicing off it's tail when he ran out of ammunition.

hurricane-profile.png

• Like 2