The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Infinity Models SB2C-4 Helldiver. Finished. Well, OK, maybe not.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Ernie

Absolutely will be looking at using them on future builds. Thanks for posting the close ups. 

Peter, they’re doing some amazing things over there.  Like completely fixing ALL the issues on the HB A-26 and giving us an A-26K Counter Invader conversion as well.

I’m trying to talk him into being the guy who FINALLY fixes the nose shape issues on the 1/32 B-17

• Like 3

• Administrators

I’ve been away from the bench a couple of days as I’ve been kinda sick. No, matter of fact, I’ve been deathly ill with the flu.

BUT, here I am, I’ve surfaced just long enough to recharge my batteries and get fresh air in, and then then back down I go, into the depths of restful sleep.

In the meantime I had a chance to spend a bit of time on the bench, and I’ve been working on seams, making sure the basic fuselage was securely together. A bit of industrial help is needed around the rear gun emplacement, and once dry, I’ll start piecing together the bomb bay and main spar. 
Yes it kinda looks like crap right now, but quite honestly, I’m thrilled with this.

And better yet, just after these pics were taken, I masked off the portside wing fabric area on my Corsair!  It’s a miracle I say!  I did have to get the half inch of dust off it, but I sure got it masked OK. 

6BC790CF-3272-443E-8A68-68AC0074E2B8.jpeg

1D9C9AF4-AD73-4C75-A969-F7EA0794347B.jpeg

• Like 8

• Clunkmeister changed the title to Infinity Models SB2C-4 Helldiver. Update 09/02/22

Ernie

Yikes, down with the flu and sick as can be - now that's as nasty as can be. :stirthepot: (secret get well potion) Fingers crossed you're over the worst and starting to feel better and better each day. Just rest and feel better, the helldiver and Corsair can wait.  

Nice work on working the Helldivers fuselage halves together and when needed, industrial clamping is the way to go. Just think, you have crossed the first milestone of the build with the fuselage glued up and no it's clean up and seam filling time. I'm still doing just that on the Whirlwind fuselage and wings - treating them as separate models until the all the filling and sanding is done - oh what fun.

Just take care of yourself and get well.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Well, in other news, I’m looking into a better “bronze green” to highlight what is visible.  Old pics are always a bit suspect, but the interior on my build certainly needs a little more something in it.  We’ll figure it out.

And along the same path, the add-on open bomb bay kit supplies some gorgeous resin castings, but once again, their fit is more of a good humor suggestion than an actual fit. So I feel that tacking each piece in place and filling in myriad gaps is the new battle plan.   The biggest issue is the lack of period photos. I don’t trust restoration pictures, and originals are kinda scarce. 

• Like 5

• Administrators

I’ve been trying to piece together how on Earth the bomb bay is supposed to fit into the model.  It’s a true Chinese Puzzle with an instruction sheet with what appear at first glance, to be straightforward line drawings.  But once reality is exchanged for fantasy, then an extra helping of Fairy Dust mixed with Unicorn breath would be beneficial. Reality bears nothing more than a passing resemblance to the instructions.  Like comparing an RD180 rocket motor to a bottle rocket. 

Eventually, I found these two pics on Britmodeler, and these two pics alone have probably saved this build from doom.  Notice the downslope (or up, depending on perspective) of the rear bomb bay ceiling?  That isn't mentioned or shown anywhere, and trying to get everything to line up was becoming an exercise in idiocy. 
So after a suitable cooling down period of a couple hours, I’ll jump back on it. 

D97536AD-EB69-4C05-8B21-6926DD3FE16D.jpeg

5C9A9564-2398-4B90-86BD-7DF05F55863A.jpeg

• Like 9

• Administrators

Thanks Martin!  
The Dean of the Obscure comes through again! 

You, Sir, are a World Treasure. I don’t know HOW you do it, but you do.  Maybe some of your Eastern European contacts and search Engines have different parameters, no clue, but either way, it’s PERFECT. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

The entire bomb bay needs to be built in situ, so after figuring out what is up, I did just that, and followed it all up with a quick coat of One Shot Primer.  
Once I knew how everything was situated and how it all aligned with each other, the entire thing almost fell together. It was literally a half hour operation. A couple of the small side pieces were too short, but I think that was more my fault more than anything else. I’ll lengthen them 1/8” with a bit of styrene and be done.

HPH Resin is and has always been amazing stuff, and the scale  fidelity is STUNNING!

3F78C63D-C65F-4A7E-B2C6-021ECA8E69B1.jpeg

BFC10E35-7C1F-406B-8661-C8AEC248D8C8.jpeg

• Like 8

• Administrators

What I can say with 100% certainty is that I will absolutely FLY through my next build of this kit.  Once you understand the relationship of how these parts fit to each other, it’s child’s play.  Imagine trying to build a Tamiya Corsair or Mosquito with no locator tabs, no positive locator slots for the parts, and with an instruction book that might have been drawn by a 5 year old coming off a 10 day drunk.  You’d be in the same place…

• Haha 4

• Clunkmeister changed the title to Infinity Models SB2C-4 Helldiver. Update 09/03/22. Bomb Bay!
  • Administrators

So for anyone co templating this, let me save you my agony.   EVERYTHING here keys off that pass-through spar, so do this:

1. Take the rear bulkhead/rear floor piece and test fit it in the rear opening, shaping the resin as needed.   
2. Install the rear bulkhead/rear floor piece with the bulkhead flush inside the rear of the bay opening and so the front rests on the stub molded into the spar. Note that the spar MUST rest on the upper wing opening (bottom of cockpit floor) and that the bomb bay ceiling will not be flat here, but angle up from the rear bulkhead to the spar.  
3. After those two pieces are in place, simply build forward in order of appearance until you reach the front of the bomb bay.  
4. Then install the side ribs.   
5. Detail and paint, then install ordnance if desired. 
6. Leave the bay doors and actuators till you’re done the model.

Doing it that way should take you a maximum of 60 minutes.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I’ve been trying to piece together how on Earth the bomb bay is supposed to fit into the model.  It’s a true Chinese Puzzle with an instruction sheet with what appear at first glance, to be straightforward line drawings.  But once reality is exchanged for fantasy, then an extra helping of Fairy Dust mixed with Unicorn breath would be beneficial. Reality bears nothing more than a passing resemblance to the instructions.  Like comparing an RD180 rocket motor to a bottle rocket. 

Eventually, I found these two pics on Britmodeler, and these two pics alone have probably saved this build from doom.  Notice the downslope (or up, depending on perspective) of the rear bomb bay ceiling?  That isn't mentioned or shown anywhere, and trying to get everything to line up was becoming an exercise in idiocy. 
So after a suitable cooling down period of a couple hours, I’ll jump back on it. 

D97536AD-EB69-4C05-8B21-6926DD3FE16D.jpeg

5C9A9564-2398-4B90-86BD-7DF05F55863A.jpeg

Ernie

Thank goodness you kept looking and found the Britmodeler build. I feel your frustrations and the helldiver is putting you to the test. Hopefully after the bomb bay issues are sorted out, the worst is over and progress will be without frustration. :wallbash:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

The entire bomb bay needs to be built in situ, so after figuring out what is up, I did just that, and followed it all up with a quick coat of One Shot Primer.  
Once I knew how everything was situated and how it all aligned with each other, the entire thing almost fell together. It was literally a half hour operation. A couple of the small side pieces were too short, but I think that was more my fault more than anything else. I’ll lengthen them 1/8” with a bit of styrene and be done.

HPH Resin is and has always been amazing stuff, and the scale  fidelity is STUNNING!

3F78C63D-C65F-4A7E-B2C6-021ECA8E69B1.jpeg

BFC10E35-7C1F-406B-8661-C8AEC248D8C8.jpeg

Ernie

Way to go and so glad you kept at it with no give in your determination Absolutely looks brilliant and again, no matter how detailed the resin parts are; accurate and easy to follow instructions are the name of the game.  Every manufacture needs to understand and realize that their instructions can make or break a kit, ease build frustrations and keep the enjoyment in the build. I seriously doubt most companies actually test build their kits from the instructions and done by builders who have not been involved with the kit at all. 

Martin is amazing in his abilities to find the perfect reference photos - how he does it, I haven't a clue but thank goodness he goes beyond the extra mile.

JUst 

• Like 3

• Administrators

Spent some time on it today.  Working on the landing gear bays  part of me feels like we’re over the hump, but we still have the cowl and glass to do yet.

I left the rudder alone, but will split the elevators to post them drooped. The rudder is almost never seen deflected, but the elevators?  Hey, they droop, much like I do these days 

• Like 3

Ernie

Terrific progress and no question, your Helldiver is going to cross the line in grand style. You are so right in those kits such as Tamiya Corsair and Mosquito (I've built them both) without locator pins and with kindergarten instructions would be the same to build as the Helldiver and that's hitting the nail right on the heads. Tamiya, ZM and GWH (plus others), go the extra mile, key parts, have accurate locator pins and fantastic instructions and that's one of the biggest reasons they are always at the top of my build list - pure fun and almost no frustrations (I do insert my own frustrations into any build 🙃). 

I just think at what both the Helldiver and Whrilwind could have been had they had those kit qualities.

• Like 3

• Administrators

The bulkhead behind the seat is actually a riveted open frame with a triangular rollover cage attached right behind it between the seats. 
The open frame is covered by a windscreen on heavy canvas to prevent the area between the seats from becoming a wind tunnel.

So I looked for a suitable weathered green canvas color and tried this. I think it looks good, and after suitable shading, should look the part, different from the aircraft framing. The little lip poking out up top is actually the forward top shoe of the rollover cage. It needs to be interior bronze green. 

75B41F74-49B5-4170-BD6C-B61B36434CB4.jpeg

• Like 5