The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya's !/48 scale MiG 15 bis Completed

GazzaS

1 hour ago, mark31 said:

Wonderfull foil work

And yes i know the feeling of your atempts for the hard places to foil.

But when it is going down right you can look at it and say thats a job wel done.

Looking forward to the next update 

Mark

Thank you!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Hey Gary come on, at least you spared masking the canopy :D. Earnestly, I really like your results, foiling looks so very different from painting and thank you for explaining your method so thoroughly. It may help in the future, only if....

Cheers Rob

I'm glad you like the results, Rob.  The canopy is a whole other problem.  See....   the glue is a PVA based glue.  So in places where you use only a thin piece, adherence isn't guaranteed.  Especially if your foil needs to wrap around an edge.  So, I'm still working around the canopy issue.  It would have been easier had i closed the canopy...   but, I wanted it open.

I may go to the LHS and buy some more BMF....   BMF has a rubber based glue.

• Like 4

I'm always astonished, how good PVA glue sticks, when dried properly and not only to wood. I will use it more in plastic modelling, for clear parts mainly. Isn't there a way to glue on the foil to the canopy framing and then cut it after using toothpicks to get the contour right? This way, you have at least no stress in the foil.
Does oiling the blade really helps cutting foil? I only ask, because oil and glue don't go together well and with narrow parts, like framing, the oil could prevent the glue to adhere properly.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

14 hours ago, DocRob said:

I'm always astonished, how good PVA glue sticks, when dried properly and not only to wood. I will use it more in plastic modelling, for clear parts mainly. Isn't there a way to glue on the foil to the canopy framing and then cut it after using toothpicks to get the contour right? This way, you have at least no stress in the foil.
Does oiling the blade really helps cutting foil? I only ask, because oil and glue don't go together well and with narrow parts, like framing, the oil could prevent the glue to adhere properly.

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob.  The oil doesn’t help to cut the foil.  What it does is to prevent the blade from grabbing and tearing the foil.  You really can’t do without it.  You would almost certainly tear every panel you laid.  

Foiling uses a lot of blades.  Dull blades will cut foil.  But they will also tear foil.  I will tell you from personal experience that there is nothing more vexing than ruining a perfect panel on this very last step.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Simply stunning Gaz, sounds like there is nothing simple about foil though……

Thank you, Phil.  I don’t feel that foiling is complicated.  Yes, there are a few things to learn.  But it’s not difficult.  It does take some patience.  But I find it a lot easier for my brain to accept real metal than to accept the lie that tells me that paint, no matter how shiny, looks like a metal surface.

There will be some painted parts on this bird.  There are just some shapes that can’t be made without annealing the metal.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Foiling uses a lot of blades.  Dull blades will cut foil.  But they will also tear foil.  I will tell you from personal experience that there is nothing more vexing than ruining a perfect panel on this very last step.

I'm using my Japanese grindstone to re sharpen my blades. One side for grinding and one for honing. After that, the blades are sharper than factory fresh.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

Hello friends. 

I finally got hold of some real thin foil.  Thinner than I've ever used.  But...   I feel like I've lost my touch.  These panels just don't work out as well as they did a few years ago when I did the last one.  Tiny errors.  More slips of the hand.  My vision, not what it was.

Here is the new bling...  in the sun.

IMG_1089.thumb.JPG.cc2e2975f55fea06718ae4da87de49fe.JPG

IMG_1090.thumb.JPG.a14f1639ad14e4282602dd3f7d7a4703.JPG

IMG_1091.thumb.JPG.03c8f370620102d8744be20ec4b99977.JPG

Weathering....   Will tone it down a bit I reckon.

IMG_1092.JPG

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Foiling on the Mig from my end looks awesome and so well done. Terrific work for sure

5 hours ago, mark31 said:

Just wonderfull

Mark

5 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

mega shine

1387773116tumblr_ojgtcoxCnV1tjfdtxo1_500

Thank you, fellas.

• Like 2

So...   anyway.

Weathering the aluminum actually happens all through the process.  And I didn't want my MiG to look like a patchwork quilt.  So, to help it along, we polish the aluminum with aluminum polish(found at the local car parts and accessories store).  After polishing we clean any residue off with acetone.

IMG_1093.thumb.JPG.a495cda26f486db1c185a453a1793eb6.JPG

After that I painted all of the non-foiled parts.  

I took some inside and outside photos to give you a better idea about it's current state.

IMG_1101.thumb.JPG.7dbfa748d12764933b0e53b7e55212dd.JPG

IMG_1102.thumb.JPG.483831a62f02568c5603c4bde63d608b.JPG

IMG_1103.thumb.JPG.79cb5a5bfaa75ada6dd20c1789f6e1a4.JPG

IMG_1104.thumb.JPG.378275cd108bea98d88622b14f33d518.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG.cfc8a8ad9b35d1778ed6f5581770b2d9.JPG

IMG_1106.thumb.JPG.9e6bec074a43d54927e8660089e86d1a.JPG

IMG_1107.thumb.JPG.b88ee8e2304ebd8a1d44b23d71972e7b.JPG

Now, it needs to dry for a bit.  Pretty much over this kit for now.  Gonna play with something else.

Happy modelling!

• Like 5

Gaz

Outstanding, simply a beautiful finish - the polished aluminum is surely the Real McCoy and I'm right with Mark - need my Ray Bans.

Is this as far as you're going with the Mig? Fingers crossed you will take it to completion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Outstanding, simply a beautiful finish - the polished aluminum is surely the Real McCoy and I'm right with Mark - need my Ray Bans.

Is this as far as you're going with the Mig? Fingers crossed you will take it to completion. 

Thank you Peter.  It's nowhere near done.  When finished it will be in a small dio hopefully looking like an operational machine.

• Like 2

Comrades!

Our intrepid pilot...

IMG_1117.JPG.1a6a47bd10a30674b34ec6665ebb2995.JPG

He is from CZplusmodels.  Pretty hard to find, actually.

And...   because every commie needs a comrade:

IMG_1118.thumb.JPG.57f17c37bd4b867836a642dfc1c0e345.JPG

He not only gets a comrade with a steering wheel...   but a Tamiya Gaz 67 Jeep comes with it.

IMG_1115.thumb.JPG.ee34f4c23e0cc729656cc99a42e42998.JPG

I had to mill out the seat with my Dremel to make him sit in a closer-to-human-normal fashion.  I wanted to get him situated before I added detail to the Gaz.

IMG_1116.thumb.JPG.6f7817eb84c9d75150f50a2dead8bb98.JPG

And then I had an inspiration to mill out the seats a little and add some texture.  I'll do more, later.  The plastic fuzzies really obscure your idea of what you've actually done looks like.  So I knock them down with a bit of Tamaiy extra thin.  I love a glue that has more than one purpose!

Now...   I have to go research Soviet uniforms of the period.  I know that in the 80's they had different colored shoulder boards for different types of units.  I'm not so sure about the 50's, tho.  Martin?

• Like 3