The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya Spitfire IX 1:32nd

Completed this about 2 years ago, i used Barracuda resin seat, access door, wheels, large gun bay bulges (which aren't quite correct but better than the kit ones, Grey matters do the right ones). i cocked up the engine mount somehow and it prevented the engine panels from fitting flush, no amount of force would get the engine to sit right so i gave up and glued the engine panels in place :(

Fantastic kit though, ill definitely build another.

Aircraft is finished as a Malta based aircraft of 249 squadron late 1942, finished in the ubiquitous malta blue for operations over the sea towards Sicily. I over painted the roundels in a paler blue as was the practice with this scheme so they stood out from the camo.

0193sf.jpg

0173zy.jpg

0162yd.jpg

013vf.jpg

015meq.jpg

012iu.jpg

011jjo.jpg

010io.jpg

009rbf.jpg

008wpw.jpg

0072ec.jpg

006smhh.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hello Benjamin. Very interesting scheme choice - not seen a IX modelled in the Malta colours. You mention using wheels from BaracudaCast. I can't see them listed on Roy's site. Appreciate that you finished the model some years ago - might you still have the covered wheel set details, as I'd like to follow up with Roy. I'm keen to get a set to use on a Hobby Boss Vb Trop being modelled as another Malta Spitfire. Cheers, Ralph.

Guest styrenedemon

Whoa. I love those colors. Excellent build and the weathering is very convincing too. I had the engine panel problem with my P-51 and I'm thinking I'm just going to put the bare minumum engine parts and framing together on my Spit and close the cowl up.

• Like 1

@ Ben

Very interesting finish

For someone who is about to review a book on Malta Spitfires perhaps I should be more assertive, but shouldn't that be a Vc rather than a IX??

@Ralph

Please do not needlessly quote posts, ESPECIALLY those with large numbers of photos in them.

I have edited your post accordingly.

• Like 1

@ Ben

Very interesting finish

For someone who is about to review a book on Malta Spitfires perhaps I should be more assertive, but shouldn't that be a Vc rather than a IX??

@Ralph

Please do not needlessly quote posts, ESPECIALLY those with large numbers of photos in them.

I have edited your post accordingly.

Ive based my model on a Photo shown to me by a good friend who also has a Malta book due out very soon, he's done some serious research on the subject especially the Spits which will be covered in part2.... aslong as part1 sells well!! Im planning doing a Vc based on his research in a very interesting scheme.

Hello Benjamin. Very interesting scheme choice - not seen a IX modelled in the Malta colours. You mention using wheels from BaracudaCast. I can't see them listed on Roy's site. Appreciate that you finished the model some years ago - might you still have the covered wheel set details, as I'd like to follow up with Roy. I'm keen to get a set to use on a Hobby Boss Vb Trop being modelled as another Malta Spitfire. Cheers, Ralph.

Sorry only just seen your comment Ralph, those are the Barracuda cast wheels but with the kits etched flat covers on. some might say thats pointless but i dont like rubber tyres.

@Ben

So the pic you have IS of a MK IX??

Can you post it please?

Also, I presume you refer to Brian Cauchi yes? His is the book I shall be reviewing shortly! He used to post on LSP and is one of the original 1/32 scratch builders and master modellers, but has gone 'underground' a bit afaict, and I have only found him posting on a Malta only forum.

If it is indeed Brian, perhaps you can invite him here? I think from a Staff point of view, we may also be doing the same, but the more the merrier.

Thanks

Nick

• Like 1

@Ben

So the pic you have IS of a MK IX??

Can you post it please?

Also, I presume you refer to Brian Cauchi yes? His is the book I shall be reviewing shortly! He used to post on LSP and is one of the original 1/32 scratch builders and master modellers, but has gone 'underground' a bit afaict, and I have only found him posting on a Malta only forum.

If it is indeed Brian, perhaps you can invite him here? I think from a Staff point of view, we may also be doing the same, but the more the merrier.

Thanks

Nick

I'm a big fan of Brian's work he's been a big Inspiration! But no its a English fella called Tony O'Toole his books being published by Darylumple & Verdun soon. The Mushroom book is a bit safe for me they basically say the spits were either Dk Earth/ Dk green over Sky or Ex Dk sea grey all over; but there's way too much variation that they don't explain. Tony has done a lot of research with Veterans also and he's come to some very interesting conclusions but part 1 has too sell well or part2 won't happen!

Here's a low Res pic I found online, the better quality pic will be in part2

images4.jpg

Ben,

If Tony O'Toole would like his book (Part 1) reviewed by LSM & SP&R, I'm sure the reviewers would be happy to do so; it will reach a fair amount of people that could well add to Tony's sales. Perhaps you'd ask him?

• Like 1

Ben,

If Tony O'Toole would like his book (Part 1) reviewed by LSM & SP&R, I'm sure the reviewers would be happy to do so; it will reach a fair amount of people that could well add to Tony's sales. Perhaps you'd ask him?

Cheers ill suggest it. Probably up to the publishers tho.

• Like 1