The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Zoukei-Mura 1/48 Phantoms

Artful69

Ok … so 

Now I have my 1/32 scale F-4E and EJ phantoms (a BIG thank you for anyone offering their assistance in that department btw). During my mission, the ZM kits kept popping up in my Google searches and as I began to admire the style of F-4 more and more … I thought - why not, eh???

I have a love for ZM kits in general and I have collected all of their 1/32 scale items, even though some of them are for subjects I would not normally purchase.

Now, Ive never built anything in dwarf scale before and so I’ve never looked at feedback regarding ZM’s 1/48 scale gear … in particular their Phantoms … so …

Can anyone here advise me as to any glaringly obvious issues with their F-4 series?? I’ve already ordered them all and I’m awaiting their arrival … I might also hunt down 48 scale issues 1 - 3 afterward … but I just need to know if there are any AM corrections required …

Rog :)

• Like 2

I've been contemplating this very thing. Switching out my Tamiya 1/32 kits for the ZM 1/48 ones so welcome to the club. 

I haven't got any of the short nosed jets (C,D,J) but there's supposed to be a contour issue with the rear fuselage around the burner cans. Hypersonic Models makes a correction set for this which involves cutting out the relevant section and replacing it with resin parts. 

To ZM's credit, they fixed this on the long nosed kits (E, EJ, G). 

Other than that, I haven't heard of any other issues. 

With the G coming out next, ZM has to tool up slatted wings so I imagine a late model E will follow that release. If you can't wait, Hypersonic Models makes a conversion kit with the slatted outer wings, flap actuators for the inner wings and other bits. 

BNA Models carry Hypersonic.

Carl

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Almost forgot, there are no seat belts in any of the kits. So you have to find some AM ones. 

Wow!!! None at all??? … that’s a weird one - most kits have a seat part with moulded on ones and give you a seat option - with or without!! …. Also the correction part … I’ll look that up … So thanks for the heads up on both!

If they are anything like the 1/32 scale stuff, they should be heaps of fun to build.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I haven't got any of the short nosed jets (C,D,J) but there's supposed to be a contour issue with the rear fuselage around the burner cans. Hypersonic Models makes a correction set for this which involves cutting out the relevant section and replacing it with resin parts. 

To ZM's credit, they fixed this on the long nosed kits (E, EJ, G). 

Other than that, I haven't heard of any other issues. 

With the G coming out next, ZM has to tool up slatted wings so I imagine a late model E will follow that release. If you can't wait, Hypersonic Models makes a conversion kit with the slatted outer wings, flap actuators for the inner wings and other bits. 

BNA Models carry Hypersonic.

Carl

Ok …

Copy that on the correction … I’ve found it on BNAs webstore and it’s only $24 so I’ll just order how many I need …

Question:  Is the F-4S one of the kits needing a correction??

• Like 2

I built their Kai Phantom recently and there were no issues with the build. As Carl mentioned there are no seat belts supplied in fact no PE at all. I bought the belts from Kits-World, but I didn't like them too much. They seem a bit oversized and the protruding parts like levers and pull rings bend easily. The good on these parts, they are printed on both sides. Canopy masks, were purchased from New Ware, which have sets, to allow the painting of the canopy seals and as an add on I bought some Res-kit burner cans.
I can't vouch for the accuracy of the kit, but ZM has pointed out the multiple changes they made for the EJ- compared to  the E-version.

The kit went together very well, fit and engineering were great and the Cartograph decals worked exceptional. The detailing of the cockpit with decals over raised detail was sufficient to me at this scale.

P1160234.thumb.JPG.c02f0afb6585c556223e83ee99dc55e5.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

Rog

Nice decision for jumping on 48th scale for jets, as I've also done the same. I've been collecting ZM's F4's, built the incredible Tamiya F4B and my stash is continuously growing in that grouping. Looking forward to following your upcoming ZM F4 build, hopefully not too far down the road.

4MCYoy.jpg

• Like 3

Ok … so just to confirm, according to this list … I will need six corrections sets… 

C9B508C0-B62B-47EE-B707-46921382D157.thumb.png.9175c83154888faef42dbc58d3f8c7ce.png

I went looking for seatbelts and the Quinta stuff last night … ugh!! … I struggle enough with 32 scale - plus I don’t think I’m that pedantic really … I’ll see when the kits start arriving, but I’m thinking that the scale might be too small for that stuff. I’m pretty much a bang for buck guy and external shape issues are probably going to be more noticeable!

Does anyone have a link to a discussion somewhere where the fuse issue is discussed in detail with photos etc???

• Like 2

• Administrators
21 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Wow!!! None at all??? … that’s a weird one - most kits have a seat part with moulded on ones and give you a seat option - with or without!! …. Also the correction part … I’ll look that up … So thanks for the heads up on both!

If they are anything like the 1/32 scale stuff, they should be heaps of fun to build.

I think kit makers are finally figuring out that us AMS infected folks install HGW…. So why waste the time on belts. 
ICM figured that out years ago…

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Artful69 said:

Ok … so just to confirm, according to this list … I will need six corrections sets… 

C9B508C0-B62B-47EE-B707-46921382D157.thumb.png.9175c83154888faef42dbc58d3f8c7ce.png

I went looking for seatbelts and the Quinta stuff last night … ugh!! … I struggle enough with 32 scale - plus I don’t think I’m that pedantic really … I’ll see when the kits start arriving, but I’m thinking that the scale might be too small for that stuff. I’m pretty much a bang for buck guy and external shape issues are probably going to be more noticeable!

Does anyone have a link to a discussion somewhere where the fuse issue is discussed in detail with photos etc???

You got AMS BAD, Rog! 🤣

Welcome to the Club!  😎😀😬😂

• Like 2

• Administrators

I built the Academy F-4B as an F-4N, and am piddling away with the Tamiya F-4B, right now.

Like many here, I’ve turned to 1/48 for modern jets, simply due to space requirements.  They’re big enough to give you all the detail, but take the same footprint as a 1/32 WW2 fighter..

I want to try a ZM Phantom, and it’ll most likely be that superb JASDF edition!  

• Like 3

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I had the Tamiya 1/48 F-4EJ from the early '80s. Then I opened the box and found a Revell kit that they had re-boxed....

Well we finally got an actual F-4EJ and I’m incredibly stoked over that. Thrilled actually. 

• Like 2

On 9/13/2022 at 9:49 AM, Clunkmeister said:

I think kit makers are finally figuring out that us AMS infected folks install HGW…. So why waste the time on belts. 
ICM figured that out years ago…

On 9/13/2022 at 9:52 AM, Clunkmeister said:

You got AMS BAD, Rog! 🤣

Welcome to the Club!  😎😀😬😂

I’m happy to report I’m disease free … I was forced to take the magical unicorn vax here so I could keep my job and a roof over my head here in West Aus. I don’t know what that AMS thing you have is, but I hope you can’t transfer it over the net otherwise your device should be masked up!!! 

I probably won’t even bother with belts … the scale seems just too small … I’m even considering avoiding the fuse fix … I can see a vague difference between the kit and the correction parts - but really not all that much … so the question is … is it $25 worth??? (AUD) …

I’ll leave that order till I see the kit I think!

• Like 1