The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

24 Hour Cheiftain

Ok had this old behemoth sat around a few years gathering dust. I've some much nicer Takom Cheiftains to build , so this needs zipping up and gone . I have built quite a few of Tamiya's venerable Cheiftain offering as, before Takom, is was pretty much the only show in town 

As a MK 5 ...it's a very early take on a MK 5 ( 1971/2 maybe?) , rather than the later mainstream MK5's  , main differences being the radio fit ( Larkspur instead of Clansman not obvious to non geeks other than the antenna mounts  ) and the NBC pack on the turret bustle . The early small unit portrayed on this kit week were quickly swapped out for the full width ones , which I'll scratch up . Oh and things like the MRS ( Muzzel reference system)  on the barrel .

And I'd like to have it all done an dusted in 24 hours or less

Ready Steady go...............

FUN FACT - the last one of these I built (00EB57), went as a gift to the gunner who had served on it , who contacted me after seeing it on eBay . He kindly sent me some pics of his time on it in 1988/9.

5-DD086-EF-CEED-4-A20-A93-A-EA2-DD4-BB4-

• Like 5

This old kit is what I'd call a "dad" kit . Go to the hobby store , pick one up for under 20 bucks , some glue and a couple of paints and you're off. Every dad can make one of these, low parts count , they fall together and generally look ok when done .

Has aged well compared to the equally old Panther Ausf A, which for my money is terrible in shape and accuracy , & doesn't even look like a Panther to me, specially compared to Tamiaya 1990's Ausf G .

So Sprues - this is no Ryefield or Dragon :) and wubber twacks ..

44-B4-B4-D5-579-A-4-E22-8-F93-4009-C9786

• Like 6

And here we are 5 hours (plus dinner) in , all basic construction is done . Now it needs all the mods , filling etc . Back in the day I had to measure it all out from photographs and drawings, now I can just borrow my MK10 for the dimensions I need . So , off for various bits 'n pieces and then back for primer .

The limiting factor with this 1975 tooling is the engine deck as it is the right height for the early 650hp bus engine ...when they moved to the 750hp unit , the deck height increased , so portraying later marks is problematic. and yes the Takom is sooo in advance on this old nail . I've not seen the Meng Mk10 , can't really  justify three Cheiftains in the stash !

D2-A39949-BF4-E-4-E09-A8-AB-131-D428-F7-

4-EA57385-BDCB-4-AD5-B568-766-CD9418-C27

• Like 6

Righty ho, daughter come and gone  , furniture moved 200 miles and back to the build .

Roooober tracks sprayed in varying shades of dark & light brown and hull red . Then track pads done with Vellejo German Grey

6287-B7-F8-0-EA5-4930-A15-B-52098-A1-D5-##

Some brush details of tyres 'n other parts

33678-F51-B7-E0-43-E3-BC4-B-6-CBCFF1-EB0

and a mish mash of decals.

72-C17-CCB-8199-4-C7-D-889-E-CD6-FE68-D8

Next up Oil Pin wash

• Like 6

Pinwashed with oils. Decided to use pastels for final finishing , very Tony Greenland circa 1995 ...

As a bit of fun worked out ok , although given the better moulding around this is probably the last of one of Tamiya's I will bother with . 

Cammo netting looks ok in the flesh not so good in the photos so might have a another crack at it later . 

And technically aa 5 day build , although more like an afternoon and two fat evenings ! 

1-35-Cheiftain-Mk60003.jpg

• Like 6

Stunning PW, we can’t keep calling you that! That was JohnB pace. I must admit I’ve pretty much done with Tamiya armour. I have just a KT in the stash but have all the AM including zimmerit. They do not bother adding the detail of RFM or Dragon, shame really……..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Stunning PW, we can’t keep calling you that! That was JohnB pace. I must admit I’ve pretty much done with Tamiya armour. I have just a KT in the stash but have all the AM including zimmerit. They do not bother adding the detail of RFM or Dragon, shame really……..

Thank you although I think thats a lil harsh for my money  . Agreed Tamiaya detail is softer , they have less parts, and often the tracks date them ,but I reckon a lot can still build up well as the dimensions are good , even this old chonker of a Cheiftain .

I built a recent tooling Tamiya Pz II and their PzIII , IMHO they were pretty good. I've also built  the Meng, Hobbyboss and Tamiya Kingtiger .....like to guess which one this is  ? 😂

IMG-1101.jpg

• Like 3