The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Just like from Japan 80 years ago...

GazzaS

11 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

So a million dollar missile to drop a plastic Chinese balloon?  You think the gun might have been a bit less messy?

No matter, the Chinese won BIG with this one as our people in charge dithered and wrung their hands for days on end while they sat there, wondering what to do.  This could have been easily dropped over the Aleutians.  The US looks positively stupid and weak, here. 

We, just above you don't look much better..... our defense Minister won't even confirm it was in Canadian airspace..................... DUH......:wacko:

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

We, just above you don't look much better..... our defense Minister won't even confirm it was in Canadian airspace..................... DUH......:wacko:

Well, atmospheric currents still hold a lot of unsolved mysteries. I remember well when the French government explained that the Tchernobyl radioactive cloud had not overflown the French territory. Somehow it stopped dead at the French-German border 🤣😂🤣

Hubert 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I have read that this is not the first one that has come over in the past 6 years.  I was naive enough to think that they are at the mercy of the winds but apparently, they can be somewhat controlled. 

After seeing footage from drone dropped grenades and massed drones putting on displays at the Olympics etc., I am concerned about large gatherings and wonder how an attack of that character could be prevented.

• Like 4

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Sparse Grey Hackles said:

I have read that this is not the first one that has come over in the past 6 years.  I was naive enough to think that they are at the mercy of the winds but apparently, they can be somewhat controlled. 

After seeing footage from drone dropped grenades and massed drones putting on displays at the Olympics etc., I am concerned about large gatherings and wonder how an attack of that character could be prevented.

Yes, apparently several over the past few years. Those videos of drone swarms is insane, plus they’re being used by both sides with deadly success in Ukraine. You’d think a drone would be easily jammed.  Just disrupt its signal. Or hit it with a directed EMP.  
Regarding EMP, the days of the P-51, Corsair, Spitfire, 109, F-86, Hunter and similar may not be over yet.  EMP is no friend to modern microprocessors. 
With just one burst, it could be 1935 all over again. 

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Sparse Grey Hackles said:

I don't know much about EMPs.  Can they be selective or will they take out my TV & internet as well?

An EMP device will basically fry any electronic device within its range. The only devices likely to survive are those « hardened » (don’t ask me how its done - I have no idea) against an EMP, and are the military-grade ones …

Hubert

PS Edit had an internet search. It seems the best way to shield a device against an EMP is to build a Faraday cage around it … Now, I’ll go to bed less stupid tonight.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

The one thing  I thought was pretty cool and someone gave it some thought, was the F 22's on that op to shoot this thing down, used the call sign "Frank 1" and Luke 2"..... paying homage to the WW I Hero and Medal of Honor winner Frank Luke.... I thought that was pretty neat .....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• Administrators

Not to go off topic, but I’d say an EMP is one of the most serious threats facing modern technology. They occur naturally as well (solar flares). Microprocessors will fry given a large enough pulse. Old time systems should still work, as in vacuum tubes, etc.  Automobiles with the old breaker point ignition will still function, but new stuff, it’ll just coast to a stop.   Not sure if modern airliners are shielded or not, but military equipment most definitely is. No toaster, blender, air conditioning, beer coolers, nothing, because the computer controlled power grid would be down.

But FINALLY, we’ll be free of those incessant cellphones!!!

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Not to go off topic, but I’d say an EMP is one of the most serious threats facing modern technology. They occur naturally as well (solar flares). Microprocessors will fry given a large enough pulse. Old time systems should still work, as in vacuum tubes, etc.  Automobiles with the old breaker point ignition will still function, but new stuff, it’ll just coast to a stop.   Not sure if modern airliners are shielded or not, but military equipment most definitely is. No toaster, blender, air conditioning, beer coolers, nothing, because the computer controlled power grid would be down.

But FINALLY, we’ll be free of those incessant cellphones!!!

By most projections we're well overdue a solar superstorm and if/when it comes we could well found out just how this'll play out. 😮

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...