The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

PZL P.11g „Kobuz” 1:72 IBG Models

Kriss

While doing some cleaning, I came across another model started years ago. There are still quite a few of them in my closet and the studio is also swamped with them and it's high time to finish them too. That's just for the record. Coming back to the model, I have a model of the Polish fighter plane PZL P.11g "Kobuz" in 1:72 from the IBG Models offer (cat. no. 72523). This is the last version of the P.11 and was built in one copy. The outbreak of war prevented further work on it. There are no photos or plans of what it looked like, so a model will be built based on what IBG Models offers in its kit. This will be such a hypothetical (what-if) version. The kit comes with a choice of two engine covers as well as two undercarriage options, wheels alone or in covers like the PZL P.24. There are two types of propellers on the frames too, two-blade and three-blade. In the manual, IBG included three paint schemes, two of which are the typical gray/haki/blue and the third is camouflage, and these are the ones I chose. On the PZL P.11g "Kobuz" Lt. pilot Henryk Szczęsny scored two air victories on September 14 and 15, 1939. Returning to the model I had the interior ready, but the fuselage not yet closed. Of the extras, I used products from Yahu Models, which I thank for providing them. And they are these kits:
YMA7212 Instrument panel
YSM7227 Accessoriess

JCygFCY.jpg

dsKPoTJ.jpg

mlaF08S.jpg

7GesYyf.jpg

• Like 9

"Kobuz" prepared for painting is already there. I know the photo is a bit blurry but I think you can see everything. It's just the way it is with me that I take a photo and don't always check how it came out and I keep building the model.

3txCUjs.jpg

• Like 3

These PE additions look great and enhance the appearance of your bird a lot, Kriss. I built a 1/32 of a later version and found the plane and the kit very attractive. There are some great Polish plane kits out there, unfortunately not so many in large scale.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

On 3/16/2023 at 10:22 AM, DocRob said:

These PE additions look great and enhance the appearance of your bird a lot, Kriss. I built a 1/32 of a later version and found the plane and the kit very attractive. There are some great Polish plane kits out there, unfortunately not so many in large scale.

Cheers Rob

There is a PE in the kit and it's the same for all P.11 and P.24 models, and just out of curiosity I'd like to ask which Polish constructions interest you? Because I am just starting on the 32 model of the Lublin R.XIII D. The rest of the information tomorrow in a post. I think it will be interesting, the wings are placed but not literally. 

On 3/16/2023 at 1:16 PM, Peterpools said:

Kriss

Nice to see such steady progress and looking forward to all the painting stages.

You know corrugated sheet metal is a challenge no matter the scale, but laying down decals is a challenge. Paying attention to the reinforcements of the flap on the lower surface.

On 3/16/2023 at 1:42 PM, Clunkmeister said:

Nice!  I built their 1/32 P.11C and it was an absolute pleasure to build. 

I have had the pleasure of testing a few models and I know it is meant to be a pleasure.

8 hours ago, KevinM said:

Looking Good Kriss! I went down the same road about a year ago cleared out about 7/9 SOD kits and got them finished.;)

Forgive me for asking but what does 7/9 sets of SOD mean? My English is poor and I use a translator. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kriss said:

Forgive me for asking but what does 7/9 sets of SOD mean? My English is poor and I use a translator. 

Well I finished 7 to 9 aircraft that were on the SOD=Shelf of Doom incomplete's... not finished much the process you are in now cleaning out old inventory.;)

1 hour ago, KevinM said:

Well I finished 7 to 9 aircraft that were on the SOD=Shelf of Doom incomplete's... not finished much the process you are in now cleaning out old inventory.;)

Thanks for the reply, that was my guess. There are still plenty at my place but I'm slowly taking them on to finish them. 

• Like 1

For painting I used a kit from "HATAKA" dedicated to the 1939 Polish Air Force, HTK-CS01 from the orange line. The underside and top are already in colours and I am trying to do the camouflage that IBG proposes. For easier painting the model is in parts. Masking done and I only have the green camouflage colour left to apply.

crwaxt8.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kriss said:

There is a PE in the kit and it's the same for all P.11 and P.24 models, and just out of curiosity I'd like to ask which Polish constructions interest you? Because I am just starting on the 32 model of the Lublin R.XIII D. The rest of the information tomorrow in a post. I think it will be interesting, the wings are placed but not literally. 

I considered the Lublin R XIII G, the version with floats for a while, but haven't bought the Lukgraph kit until now. One kit, I have in stash with some Eduard PE and figures is the 1/48 kit of the PZL.23B Karas. I like the quirky plane a lot and look forward to the build.
I already finished the PZL P.11c from ICM, which was a great kit to build. For me it was a testbed for a pure oil paintjob applied only with brushes.
Along my Fokker D.VIII build in 1/32, I also built the Polish version of the Fokker in 1/72, which was quite fiddly, but enjoyable. The kit was from Arma Hobby.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DocRob said:

I considered the Lublin R XIII G, the version with floats for a while, but haven't bought the Lukgraph kit until now. One kit, I have in stash with some Eduard PE and figures is the 1/48 kit of the PZL.23B Karas. I like the quirky plane a lot and look forward to the build.
I already finished the PZL P.11c from ICM, which was a great kit to build. For me it was a testbed for a pure oil paintjob applied only with brushes.
Along my Fokker D.VIII build in 1/32, I also built the Polish version of the Fokker in 1/72, which was quite fiddly, but enjoyable. The kit was from Arma Hobby.

Cheers Rob

I am just starting to build a collection of Polish wings and there are quite a few in 72, but my eyesight has declined a bit and I am moving to larger scales of 48 and 32. And by the way, the PZL P.23 "Karas" is a beautiful aircraft. 

• Like 1

I'm struggling to apply the decals to the corrugated surface of the wing from the top and I'm having an even harder time on the underside due to the reinforcing strips. So decal liquids and forward, nothing else left for me.

gDakgDO.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Kriss said:

I'm struggling to apply the decals to the corrugated surface of the wing from the top and I'm having an even harder time on the underside due to the reinforcing strips. So decal liquids and forward, nothing else left for me.

gDakgDO.jpg

Sorry to hear of the decal issues. Have you tried Walther's Solvaset? Works great

on decals.....on some decals it's perhaps a little too strong! I use it on Tamiya decals

and even on those it works well. 

https://spruebrothers.com/search-results-page?q=Solvaset

• Like 2

It is not a problem with the decals, but with their arrangement on the surface of the model, specifically on the wings. In fact, PZL fighter planes from 1 to 24 used corrugated sheet metal on the covering, as in the Ju-52. And there was still a reinforcement of the sheet metal connection underneath. I had a bit of fun with this but managed to apply it. In the next post I'll upload pictures of how it came out, I'm putting it together further.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Until a few years ago I was exclusively building models in 72, but my eyesight has faded and I have a problem, I'm trying my best, but I think I'll switch to 48 or 32. Currently I'm preparing to emboss the cockpit cover for the "Kobuz" as well as the PZL P.24 because I also have these in my plans to build.

• Like 2

Kriss, I'm 75 and have already been there. Our sight just deteriorates with age and stronger and stronger glasses are needed. Getting new glasses this week! If it wasn't for my magnifying lamp and or optivisor, I don't think I could build at all these days anymore.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

After a long break it's time to get back to work on the "Kobuz", I have a model lying around that I've started and I'm a bit annoyed by it. I have too many of these started models and I need to build them to completion too. But getting back to the model I have been dosing decal softening liquids all day and have managed to get them very nicely on the wavy surface of the wings. I'm pleased with it myself. This is how it worked out for me I am curious to hear your opinion, Decals offered by the manufacturer IBG Models. I thought about masks but in the end I gave the decals.

So2oJ7O.jpg

XcxZ7Ti.jpg

• Like 3