The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

ZM Bf-109G-6 Yellow 13 JG 300

John

Neat, careful and precise work, as your test fitting shows. Nice new choice for the paint scheme - definitely a colorful alternative and different. Of course, right now, I'm still planning on Hartmann's scheme but who knows things always seem to change. 

Yup, way over engineered on the tail and exactly the same issues both Gaz and Carl had. Note to myself - go back and look at all the suggested fixes. Why ZM just could do the tail as everyone else is a mystery to me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Neat, careful and precise work, as your test fitting shows. Nice new choice for the paint scheme - definitely a colorful alternative and different. Of course, right now, I'm still planning on Hartmann's scheme but who knows things always seem to change. 

Yup, way over engineered on the tail and exactly the same issues both Gaz and Carl had. Note to myself - go back and look at all the suggested fixes. Why ZM just could do the tail as everyone else is a mystery to me.

Thanks Peter. I just used some plastic putty on the tail and it looks "passable" I guess.

• Like 3

• JohnB changed the title to ZM Bf-109G-6 Yellow 13 JG 300
18 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice work John. Even though it's a challenging kit, you're just ploughing through it. 

The toughest part so far was the engine. Hopefully it will go well now. 🤞

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Might nice progress. Your 109 is coming along fantastically. 

I'm working on the front office on my 109 and it's going to take a while to work through everything.

Thank you Peter. :)

• Like 3

John

Making terrific progress and I would say you are over the hump with the ZM 109 but I don't want to jinx you. 

I finally finished the main front office and spent a full day doing the seatbelts from a combination of AirScale and Eduard sets. 

Still swimming through a sea of parts that will never be seen - what a waste of time for sure.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Making terrific progress and I would say you are over the hump with the ZM 109 but I don't want to jinx you. 

I finally finished the main front office and spent a full day doing the seatbelts from a combination of AirScale and Eduard sets. 

Still swimming through a seal of parts that will never be seen - what a waste of time for sure.

Waste of time and $$$$$$ Peter. 🤪

• Like 3

If I ever decide I want to build another Bf-109 it won't be one by ZM. In my opinion the Hasegawa kits are quite satisfactory and don't suffer from poor instructions and poor fit (and high price!). We can always purchase after market items to "dress 'em up" (decals, resin detail sets, etc).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

Excellent progress John,  everything seems to be going according the plan. I was hoping that ZM would release a simplified version of this kit, but still, you making it look easy. Good show! 👍

Cheers

M.

Thank you Martin. It has had it's moments! LOL :)

• Like 2

Looking good, John.  There are some funny incongruities about the kit.  They hyper-detailed engine and the detail-less Galland hood.  The great fit of so many parts vs. that tail.   Despite all of that, it's a better kit than anyone else has created.

• Like 5

Gaz and John

I'm in your camp John with my feeling on the kit. I've been working as carefully as I can and still struggled with some of the cockpit parts. I have my reservations on how well I did with the landing gear attachments parts at this stage - surely there has to be a better way of molding those two parts in place, so they are spot on the money and so key to the build. Mine look good () but I won't know for sure how I did until later on in the build. 

Absolutely way over engineered with way too many never to be seen parts after assembly and while the instructions are very detailed, the isometric drawings are way more confusing then a help and even a good number of the plain drawings show way too much of unnecessary details for locating the parts being worked on.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz and John

I'm in your camp John with my feeling on the kit. I've been working as carefully as I can and still struggled with some of the cockpit parts. I have my reservations on how well I did with the landing gear attachments parts at this stage - surely there has to be a better way of molding those two parts in place, so they are spot on the money and so key to the build. Mine look good () but I won't know for sure how I did until later on in the build. 

Absolutely way over engineered with way too many never to be seen parts after assembly and while the instructions are very detailed, the isometric drawings are way more confusing then a help and even a good number of the plain drawings show way too much of unnecessary details for locating the parts being worked on.

Agreed Peter. Way over engineered. I guess ZM hasn't heard of KISS method. 🙄

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Looking good, John.  There are some funny incongruities about the kit.  They hyper-detailed engine and the detail-less Galland hood.  The great fit of so many parts vs. that tail.   Despite all of that, it's a better kit than anyone else has created.

Thanks Gaz!

• Like 1