The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

ZM Bf-109G-6 Yellow 13 JG 300

I've decided to bite the bullet and start on this one. From what I've seen it promises to be a bit of a cuss-factor build but we will see! LOL 🙄 I intend to build it OOB with Hartmann's markings (I met him at a airshow in Alton, IL YEARS ago.:))

zm18reviewvk_1.jpg

• Like 8

Hi John

Great choice and I can't believe I took out my 109 kit last night and started working on the engine as I'm waiting for the two additional clear coats to fully dry on the Spitfire. Going to be fun build our 109's side by side and no question you will have yours done way before mine.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Hi John

Great choice and I can't believe I took out my 109 kit last night and started working on the engine as I'm waiting for the two additional clear coats to fully dry on the Spitfire. Going to be fun build our 109's side by side and no question you will have yours done way before nine.

LOL What a coincidence! I have most of the engine assembled and painted. So far so good. :)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Looking forward to this, wonder if the part count may increase build time……..not one iota………let’s see the engine John……….

LOL Phil. I still have some work to do on the engine before I post a photo. Soon though. :)

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

And we're off! Can't wait to see how you do with this build.ine stalled as I think somehow I got the dihedral wrong. No idea how but it looks like a as Corsair. Hope yours goe better. 

Me too Carl! :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JohnB said:

LOL What a coincidence! I have most of the engine assembled and painted. So far so good. :)

I was tempted to start the ZM Mustang but didn't want to get SOOO involved.  Both of you, can't wait to see!

• Like 2

Made some progress on the engine but I have to say, it's a high cuss-factor undertaking! Threading and attaching those little silver lines is NOT easy! 🤪 I broke one of the RLM 02 supports 3 times! CA and Zip Kicker are a necessity here! I just hope the rest of the build isn't so "interesting". 🙄

3-20-23 001.jpg

3-20-23 002.jpg

• Like 4

Engine completed except for a wash and a little bit of detailing with the paint brush. High on the cuss-factor scale as those little pipes are a SOB to get placed right (shaky hands don't help either). I figure when time comes to mate it with the fuselage I'll find some "problems". We will see.

3-20-23 B 001.jpg

3-20-23 B 002.jpg

3-20-23 B 003.jpg

• Like 4

John

Nice work on the DB 605 ... looks so good. as the paint work and assembly is spot on the money. 

I've been working on mine in between trying to finish up the Spitfire and it looks like she will cross the line tomorrow.  I'm about halfway through the engine assembly and cleaning and prepping all the plumbing for priming and painting. Knowing next to nothing about 109's, I've been doing a lot of research on the DB 605 for starters and located enough photographs to tweak my paint work a bit differently. Looking forward to starting my build thread in a few days.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nice work on the DB 605 ... looks so good. as the paint work and assembly is spot on the money. 

I've been working on mine in between trying to finish up the Spitfire and it looks like she will cross the line tomorrow.  I'm about halfway through the engine assembly and cleaning and prepping all the plumbing for priming and painting. Knowing next to nothing about 109's, I've been doing a lot of research on the DB 605 for starters and located enough photographs to tweak my paint work a bit differently. Looking forward to starting my build thread in a few days.

I look forward to seeing it Peter.

57 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Looks great!

So cool. I really need to build a Hartmann 109 someday. Really should have a model of the greatest ace of all time on the shelf-

watching this one!

cheers

P

Thank you. :)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KevinM said:

Would going outside of their build sequence of been any use John?

I don't think so Kevin. Probably would have made things worse! LOL I think as long as you have the parts installed EXACTLY where the should go things would go better. I just seemed to have some a bit out of place which caused problems. I blame most of that on my shaky hands and eye strain. 🤪

• Like 2

John

Right with you on dealing with shaky hands, eye strain and I'm crawling along on the DB 605. On my copy, the ignition leads weren't molded that well and no way could I clean them up - just too delicate. Should have the Spitfire done today plus photos and then I'll be joining you on our ZM 109 builds.

• Like 2