The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Border Models FW 190A-6

Peterpools

A pre-release Andy's Hobby Shop video of the soon to be released Border Models 1/35 FW190A-6 and the kit looks gorgeous. Great looking front office, engine bay and detail also look tremendous as well and a complete lack (thank goodness) of hidden, never to be seen detail. I know the comments on it's the wrong scale will be flying all over the place, but it doesn't bother me one bit. 

The only thing that does concern me is the instructions, (watching the video and I can be wrong), is a complete lack of color call outs during construction, as only the exterior color profiles are dealt with.

Just a quick note and quick comparison:

One common point with their Lancaster kit, which I'm getting ready to build later this summer: lack of color callouts with the interior parts during construction and just way too complicated of a kit not to have them.

Kotare Spitfire - part design, execution and level of detail is almost a scary resemblance to the Lancaster (of course, they were both designed and executed from the old WNW Team - the family heritage can so easily be seen. But the instructions: WOW, beyond first class and a mirror image of WNW. 

Getting back to my original thought on Border Instructions: why are they again lacking in interior color callouts, such as WNW, Kotare and Tamiya? Absolutely will be buying this kit.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

A pre-release Andy's Hobby Shop video of the soon to be released Border Models 1/35 FW190A-6 and the kit looks gorgeous. Great looking front office, engine bay and detail also look tremendous as well and a complete lack (thank goodness) of hidden, never to be seen detail. I know the comments on it's the wrong scale will be flying all over the place, but it doesn't bother me one bit. 

The only thing that does concern me is the instructions, (watching the video and I can be wrong), is a complete lack of color call outs during construction, as only the exterior color profiles are dealt with.

Just a quick note and quick comparison:

One common point with their Lancaster kit, which I'm getting ready to build later this summer: lack of color callouts with the interior parts during construction and just way too complicated of a kit not to have them.

Kotare Spitfire - part design, execution and level of detail is almost a scary resemblance to the Lancaster (of course, they were both designed and executed from the old WNW Team - the family heritage can so easily be seen. But the instructions: WOW, beyond first class and a mirror image of WNW. 

Getting back to my original thought on Border Instructions: why are they again lacking in interior color callouts, such as WNW, Kotare and Tamiya? Absolutely will be buying this kit.

Don't know why they didn't do any color call-outs Peter but I will be happy to assist you in that. No problemo! LOL :)

• Like 2

Border Fw-190 is not what it seems to be. First of all border is unable to distinguish between A-6 and A-8, instructions even call it Messerschmitt . 
Just by a quick glance I can see how the flange on vertical stabilizes is riveted in, should be moving free. Fuel rack , I haven’t noticed in this video, but there should be two, so as the gun covers. Propeller blades looks like they came from Yak-9. Option for ‘narrowed/ open’ canopy is not there. Some filling/ service ports are omitted. 
this thing is half baked cookie 

regarding colours?  No a biggie. 

messer.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnB said:

Don't know why they didn't do any color call-outs Peter but I will be happy to assist you in that. No problemo! LOL :)

Thanks John, same with the Lancaster - something they need to get their act together on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

Border Fw-190 is not what it seems to be. First of all border is unable to distinguish between A-6 and A-8, instructions even call it Messerschmitt . 
Just by a quick glance I can see how the flange on vertical stabilizes is riveted in, should be moving free. Fuel rack , I haven’t noticed in this video, but there should be two, so as the gun covers. Propeller blades looks like they came from Yak-9. Option for ‘narrowed/ open’ canopy is not there. Some filling/ service ports are omitted. 
this thing is half baked cookie 

regarding colours?  No a biggie. 

messer.jpg

Kinda looks like one to give a pass. Too many inaccuracies for what I'm fairly sure the price will be.  I'd stay with Hasegawa if you want a good FW 190.

• Like 2

I didn't mean to be pessimistic or negative. However if Eduard can create a decent 190 in 1/48 scale (10+years old kit), or Revell one in 1/32, I don't understand why Border who makes impeccably good armour should cheap out on such a well known and popular subject.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JohnB said:

Both Revell Germany (FW-190-A8/R2 Sturmbock for one) and Hasegawa (several '190's) would, in my opinion, be the way to go if ya want to build a good  '190 model. :)

Not to mention they are really bigger ;) 

Well, this seems to settle the question as to whether a scale infidelity could be justified … 

And it probably also forewarns those hesitating between the 1/32 Infinity Aichi Val, and the forthcoming Border 1/35 (😖) « Mitsubishi » Val …

Hubert

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2023 at 12:30 AM, JohnB said:

Both Revell Germany (FW-190-A8/R2 Sturmbock for one) and Hasegawa (several '190's) would, in my opinion, be the way to go if ya want to build a good  '190 model. :)

For a simple build - The Hasegawa kit is almost impossible to fault ... Even at this age now (it was 'New Tool' a long way back) the details are mainly accurate and quite crisp - and there's still plenty of AM around for it, should you want to go nuts on it ... The Revell kit is quite similar and most of it's detractors arise from the poor engineering choices for assembly and, while there is a lot of extra detail supplied, the basic external moulded stuff is either the same or of lower quality than the Hasegawa kit ...

The ZM kits are the ones I'm waiting for - Given ZM's exponential improvements in detail clarity, fit and finish over the years. Every successive kit has major improvements to design. They do their research well because they are passionate about representing their chosen subjects well

On 4/15/2023 at 12:42 AM, HubertB said:

Not to mention they are really bigger ;) 

Well, this seems to settle the question as to whether a scale infidelity could be justified … 

And it probably also forewarns those hesitating between the 1/32 Infinity Aichi Val, and the forthcoming Border 1/35 (😖) « Mitsubishi » Val …

Hubert

I have to assume that you're actually intending to compare the the forthcoming Border 1/35 Kate with the comparative forthcoming Infinity 1/32 offering? ... I'm unaware of any Border production of a Val at all?

One thing I can usually credit the team at HPH for is their attention to detail and accuracy ... The Tigercat is the one major miss in that regard. Unfortunately the same cannot be said of their fit and finish ... I do think though, that the move to injection moulding through Infinity Model will provide a much better basis for iterations in improvement going forward. This has already been proven to be the case as their Vampire was much improved over their initial SB2C release according to most who've built both ... So regardless of how difficult the Val might be to put together - you'll end up with a fair representation of the real article.

Rog :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artful69 said:

For a simple build - The Hasegawa kit is almost impossible to fault ... Even at this age now (it was 'New Tool' a long way back) the details are mainly accurate and quite crisp - and there's still plenty of AM around for it, should you want to go nuts on it ... The Revell kit is quite similar and most of it's detractors arise from the poor engineering choices for assembly and, while there is a lot of extra detail supplied, the basic external moulded stuff is either the same or of lower quality than the Hasegawa kit ...

The ZM kits are the ones I'm waiting for - Given ZM's exponential improvements in detail clarity, fit and finish over the years. Every successive kit has major improvements to design. They do their research well because they are passionate about representing their chosen subjects well

I have to assume that you're actually intending to compare the the forthcoming Border 1/35 Kate with the comparative forthcoming Infinity 1/32 offering? ... I'm unaware of any Border production of a Val at all?

One thing I can usually credit the team at HPH for is their attention to detail and accuracy ... The Tigercat is the one major miss in that regard. Unfortunately the same cannot be said of their fit and finish ... I do think though, that the move to injection moulding through Infinity Model will provide a much better basis for iterations in improvement going forward. This has already been proven to be the case as their Vampire was much improved over their initial SB2C release according to most who've built both ... So regardless of how difficult the Val might be to put together - you'll end up with a fair representation of the real article.

Oups ! My mistake for mixing up a Val and a Kate. Thank you for correcting me :)

The major issue with resin is that it shrinks, and the shrinkage is not necessarily consistent between batches of the same resin. Plus the silicone molds degrade over use.

That’s an issue you do not have, or not as acute, with polystyrene, although short-run molds are far less resistant than the large-runs steel ones …

Hubert

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Artful69 said:

The only problem, Rog...   is that the A5 only exists in peoples stashes...   or for blood money on Ebay.  Only the A8 seems easily attainable.  With nobody but PCM offering the early versions.  And of course we're all waiting on ZM who seems to be saying they're only gonna make as many as are pre-ordered.

So it's easy for Border to sell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

The only problem, Rog...   is that the A5 only exists in peoples stashes...   or for blood money on Ebay.  Only the A8 seems easily attainable.  With nobody but PCM offering the early versions.  And of course we're all waiting on ZM who seems to be saying they're only gonna make as many as are pre-ordered.

So it's easy for Border to sell.

I agree with the lack of availability ... You'd think Hasegawa would pop out some more A-5 - A-8 kits ... especially with the Revell A-8/F-8 option dwindling in the marketplace and the ZM series taking so long to come online. They don't have to print many ... and they could even bump up the price, considering the inflation rate out there for comparative kits.

I don't think I've seen any word from ZM about limiting production?? - where did that come from?? ... That seems counter to their current philosophy of reprinting previous releases at present ... they seem to be taking pre-orders for older kits about every 6 months. Retailers will all have the new A4 kit on backorder since its announcement - well over 5 years ago!! ... 

** Edit: I just saw the latest post about the preorder - It is for a special edition similar to the Eric Hartman Bf.109G-14/U4 (except I think they made a mistake with that one by calling it SWS-18 ... they probably should have labeled it SWS-SE1). So the idea is that this particular edition with the resin figure is a limited run ... NOT the Fw-190A-4 ... just this particular boxing. The same was mentioned for SWS-18 ... I was still able to get it from my LHS, because they pre-ordered it ... I just reserved my copy :D **

• Like 1

To be honest, I'm still out to lunch on the yet to be released ZM 190 kit. I'm on hold on my ZM 109 build, waiting for the DN mask set to arrive, as the decal crosses and decisions about them by ZM are poor at best. While on hold, I'm knee deep in their Skyraider kit and lessons from the 109 are being applied: leave out all the never to be seen details except those that that add strength the model. I am hoping they will release both the SMS and the often talked about standard version (never actually seen) and odds are doesn't exist. There are fit issues with the 109 and while the instructions looks grand, part location and orientation for some parts were frustrating at best. I prefer their older style instructions of the Skyraider, which are clearer and cleaner over the 109 instructions.

Yes, the Bf 109 is lightyears ahead of the Skyraider in molding and crispness, as all the new technologies have been applied. 

• Like 2