The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Fokker E.IV 161/16 flown by Lt. Hans Müller

JeroenPeters

• Administrators

Hi Guys,

Diving right in with the Fokker E.IV!

I've enjoyed building the Fokker E.III soo much, this was a no brainer.

I love the worn effect on the cowling of Lt. Müller's plane, so that's what I'll be doing.

Here's a link to Hans Müller's page on the Aerodrome forum:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/germany/muller1.php

fokker_eiv_zps4d1c7564.jpg

In addition I will use the amazing resin Taurus engine, HGW seat belts and LMG08 (not LMG08/15) after market barrels.

And off course a wooden Doug Craner prop!

Cheers,

Jeroen

• Like 4

Seriously watching this one!  I ordered my E.IV over Christmas break and would like it to be my first WnW build. Lukasz's new engine was just to amazing to pass up, and the new seatbelts are way cool. Now I just need a new prop and some barrels. Thanks Jeroen for letting us follow this with you.

• Administrators

Gotta love a grubby eindecker!

Everything Jeroen touches is grubby ;)

@ RichO: you need to know the Taurus engine doesn't fit the cowl. I've built it and you might need to sacrifice some internal detail within the cowl.

• Administrators

Hi Guys,

While trying to finish my DVII build, I'm also gathering intel and AM for this build.

I ordered a wooden prop from Doug Craner, but will make the Garuda prop boss myself. I'm making the boss in 3D and will have it 3D printed.

Here's what it should turn out like:

fokker_eiv_2_zps84bceb98.jpg

Notice the securing wire going to the top right bolt?

Here's where I'm at. Getting there.

fokker_eiv_1_zps9053e2f2.jpg

I'm making the back plate a little bit thicker. This will make the 3d model a bit sturdier, but i will sand it down thinner when it arrives :)

• Like 1

Hello again. Long time no post, but I've been working in 1:72 mostly.

Have you considered using turned nuts/bolts from a car detailling supplier? They might look better than plastic in the end.

I'm in the process of finishing a Curtiss Hawk in 1:72 with an RP'd cowling. It was a Special Hobby kit, and the original cowl was just...totally useless in terms of shape and fit. It was a case of throw away the model, or use it as an experiment!

You need a mega high resolution process - I ended up using stereolithography using the DWS system from this place:

http://www.jewelleryprototyping.co.uk/

Here is the part they made for me:

OPcUE48H.jpg

And here it is fitted:

2tib4000.jpg

Good Luck!

• Like 2

• Administrators

Wow! Thnx dr-gn!

I might try that place, but first I'll try Shapeways. I've had some of their stuff in my hands, and was amazed by the detail.

Yes I could use real nuts and bolts, but I'd like to print several bosses. Axial, Heine, Garuda and add them to my stash, spares box and maybe send some to anyone who needs them :)

Thnx again!

Cheers,

Jeroen

Wow! Thnx dr-gn!

I might try that place, but first I'll try Shapeways. I've had some of their stuff in my hands, and was amazed by the detail.

Yes I could use real nuts and bolts, but I'd like to print several bosses. Axial, Heine, Garuda and add them to my stash, spares box and maybe send some to anyone who needs them :)

Thnx again!

Cheers,

Jeroen

No problem!

Strange I looked at Shapeways for mine, but the resolution they listed on the website was nothing like what I needed.

Oh well, we are getting a high resolution STL system at work soon. Happy days.

• Like 1

Thnx Martin,

Will do. Here's the finished boss. Need to check some more ref's. Not sure whether the smallest revolver cilinder was flush with the bigger one or not.

fokker_eiv_3_zpsc38b916c.jpg

Hi Jeroen:

Amazing stuff. I'd heard of 3D printing but not bumped into anyone who's done design work or commissioned parts. You're clearly au fait with the software (lost me there already lol) and I have no idea how the part is actually 'printed'. Is there a Luddite friendly explanation for that which might stand a chance of sticking in the space that should be occupied by a brain?

Steve Von Technolagger :-)

• Administrators

Hi Jeroen:

Amazing stuff. I'd heard of 3D printing but not bumped into anyone who's done design work or commissioned parts. You're clearly au fait with the software (lost me there already lol) and I have no idea how the part is actually 'printed'. Is there a Luddite friendly explanation for that which might stand a chance of sticking in the space that should be occupied by a brain?

Steve Von Technolagger :-)

Hi Steve,

Thnx! Sure!

The 3d drawing is quite basic, since this piece is quite basic.

The 3D printer printed with very thin layers of molten plastic. It builds up from the bottom.

The more expensive the printer, the finer the detail and thinner the layers. 

So the printing starts on a platform. And the thicker or higher the part is, the higher the print head moves..

The size of the object is limited by how wide and how high the print-head can get.

Hope to have a first sample soon!

Cheers,

Jeroen

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

Thnx! Sure!

The 3D printer printed with very thin layers of molten plastic. It builds up from the bottom.

So the printing starts on a platform. And the thicker or higher the part is, the higher the print head moves..

The size of the object is limited by how wide and how high the print-head can get.

Cheers,

Jeroen

Hi Jeroen:

Thanks for that - fascinating stuff. Wish you well with this foray into a whole new branch of kit tickling. Look forward to seeing the first sample.

Best regards

Steve 

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

Thnx! Sure!

Cheers,

Jeroen

There's a good video of the process here (or at least the process I used - there are several methods):

Apologies for partial thread hijack - I just thought it might be useful!

• Administrators

No problem dr-gn!

It's all a bit new to me too, so I'm happy with any info and help.

Just uploaded the 3d file to Shapeways and checked the dimensions. I made three bosses in a row, and put them on a little stem so they're easy to saw off.

The material I chose is Ultra Detail frosted plastic. I've seen this stuff at a show recently and loved the detail.

As said: If the detail is not sharp enough, I'll the the jewelry link you posted.

I expect the samples by january 15th.

Keep u posted.

Cheers,

Jeroen

fokker_eiv_4_zpse8b3046c.jpg

There's a good video of the process here (or at least the process I used - there are several methods):

Apologies for partial thread hijack - I just thought it might be useful!

There was some trial and error on mine regarding scale (my fault basically). Next time I will print out several versions at x0.9, x1 and x1.1 modelled scale, and select the best one. Saves time and frustration when one comes back too big! (assuming the cost for extras is minimal obviously).

Imagine one day being able to CAD model (or download) an entire WW2 bomber, with every detail dowm to engine internals, then print it out as a section of your choice...in colour...?

This is where I think it's going in the next 10 years...this is why I (as you) are embracing this technology from the start. Almost limitless modelling possibilities. One day there will be a small corner of the Telford show devoted to "models built from ye olde Injection moulded kits!