The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Second Cavalier F-51D build

Since they supply us with nice tip tanks and decals in this Halberd kit I decided to build up another Cavalier F-51D model. The main potential problem is what about the fin extension? I'm going to scratch build one using the finished Bolivian AF model as a guide. I have some resin tail parts that I think I can modify and adapt to the right profile, height, etc. We'll see how it goes and if it works out okay I'll continue with the build. :)

6-12-23 B 002.jpg

Cavalier F-51 El Salvadore 2.jpg

• Like 3

Most of those a/c had the "chisel" type Hamilton Standard prop. Since I don't have one I trimmed and reshaped some left over Aero Products blades to make what is needed. Close enough I think. :) (They are not attached but just set in place as a test fit.)

6-12-23 C 001.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, belugawhaleman said:

Cool conversion.... I didn't know about the extended tail fin or the

wing tip tanks. I have to say, however I think the turbo-prop versions

are somewhat obscene looking.....although I would like to know the performance of these.

I'm not particularly enamored with the turbo prop versions either. Ruined the lines of the airplane.

• Like 3

John

Nice start on the next Cavalier F-51D Mustang. Fin and props are now under control and you're on a role.

And here I am still floundering away on my Mustang - all those darn engine compartment parts and assemblies seem never ending, especially the multi color painting portion. Good thing, my plans for all future Mustangs (when I do them down the line) are going to have the nose end closed up as I'm pretty much 'engine out' these days. I keep looking at the Lancaster and all those Merlin's. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nice start on the next Cavalier F-51D Mustang. Fin and props are now under control and you're on a role.

And here I am still floundering away on my Mustang - all those darn engine compartment parts and assemblies seem never ending, especially the multi color painting portion. Good thing, my plans for all future Mustangs (when I do them down the line) are going to have the nose end closed up as I'm pretty much 'engine out' these days. I keep looking at the Lancaster and all those Merlin's. 

Thanks Peter. Yep, it looks like the fin extension and "chisel blade" prop are going to work out. Not quite 100% right now but we will see. :)

When it comes to the Lanc, if it was me, I'd leave the cowl off of only one! 🤪

• Like 2

John

The tail extension looks good on the Revell tail and should work out well.

I was thinking on the Lanc just leaving the engine cowlings off on one side and the other side closed up. Still lots of time to think about it. Biggest thinking needs to be figuring out how to paint it by changing spray booths and then how to display it. I have ideas on both but need to think it completely through. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

The tail extension looks good on the Revell tail and should work out well.

I was thinking on the Lanc just leaving the engine cowlings off on one side and the other side closed up. Still lots of time to think about it. Biggest thinking needs to be figuring out how to paint it by changing spray booths and then how to display it. I have ideas on both but need to think it completely through. 

I have no doubt you will get it figured out. :)

• Like 2

I've got a couple pieces of mine glued together and you're already onto the second one! 

Nice work on the tail and props. 

As for displaying engines or closed up cowls, I can do both thanks to the kit basically not needing the engine or forward fuselage section.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I've got a couple pieces of mine glued together and you're already onto the second one! 

Nice work on the tail and props. 

As for displaying engines or closed up cowls, I can do both thanks to the kit basically not needing the engine or forward fuselage section.

LOL Carl! Fingers crossed the tail extension works out okay. The props are done and installed in the spinner since they looked okay.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Looking might good and the tail extension with some primer and paint, will look near perfect.

It's coming along but getting the wings to fit the fuselage has been a big problem. Something wasn't "right" and I had to do a lot of trimming and test fitting to finally get the wings attached. High cuss factor at times!!! 🤪

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

What would be a build without a cuss factor? For us, it's part of the senior modeling MO. 

Personally I could do without ANY cuss factors but if we have to have 'em I'd prefer the low variant. LOL

• Haha 1

If it's not one thing then it's something else! While I was spraying some gray primer I knocked the fin extension off on one of my lights. Just another high cuss factor thing.

6-16-23 001.jpg

6-16-23 002.jpg

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Surely would be a great feeling and a lot more enjoyment to do a build with zero a cuss factor.

Fingers crossed, the repair works out perfectly. 🤞

Sure would be Peter! The repair looks okay I'm pleased to say. Now I can proceed with painting this mother (with my fingers and toes crossed there will be no more foul ups.) 🙄

• Like 1