The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

SH Whirlwind is next

I may be sorry but this kit has been on the shelf too long so now I think it's time to build it. I know it has some problems but I'll try to work around them as it should make a really nice model. This is the one I have in mind. :)(I saw a post on FB where a group is rebuilding a REAL Whirlwind using parts from one that crashed. I think that is great and hope we will see a full size Whirlwind at some point.)

detail_9E09A59A-5582-42C1-BA18-A48E8681C9B3_sh32047_westland_whirlwind_f_mk_i.jpg

• Like 8

Nice choice John. It's a nice kit. The only fit problem I found was the engine bulkheads in the nacelles. The mounts for the landing gear need a quick trim to fit properly. 

The top one is stock and the lower one is the modded one. Then the bulkhead fit fine. 

PXL_20220828_223636479-L.jpg

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice choice John. It's a nice kit. The only fit problem I found was the engine bulkheads in the nacelles. The mounts for the landing gear need a quick trim to fit properly. 

The top one is stock and the lower one is the modded one. Then the bulkhead fit fine. 

PXL_20220828_223636479-L.jpg

Thanks Carl. I'll make a note of it. The fewer headaches the better! :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Spitfire said:

One of my favourite subjects, I just have not had the time to build mine so will just have to watch your build instead.

Cheers

Dennis

The Whirlwind has always been one of my favorites too Dennis. I hope it turns out nice! :)

• Like 1

Try searching for 20mm cannon barrels. SB has a metal set by RB for a spitfire kit that might work for the top pair but would need modification for the bottom pair.

Edit: Master has a set for a Hurricane IIc which might be adaptable.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, denders said:

Try searching for 20mm cannon barrels. SB has a metal set by RB for a spitfire kit that might work for the top pair but would need modification for the bottom pair.

Edit: Master has a set for a Hurricane IIc which might be adaptable.

Thanks Dave. I'll check those out. :)

• Like 1

About ready to join the nacelles to the wings and then the wing assembly to the fuselage. (Thanks again to Carl for the heads up on the forward bulkhead/nacelle fix.) :)

7-14-23 002.jpg

• Like 6

Fast work John. 

Glad to have pointed out the bulkhead issue before it causes any problems. 

For the cannon, there's only the CMK ones in resin. The Whirlwind had the recoil springs exposed so there's nothing else that matches. The closest would be ones for a Hurricane IIC or D but they're not an exact match. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Fast work John. 

Glad to have pointed out the bulkhead issue before it causes any problems. 

For the cannon, there's only the CMK ones in resin. The Whirlwind had the recoil springs exposed so there's nothing else that matches. The closest would be ones for a Hurricane IIC or D but they're not an exact match. 

I've decided to use the kit cannons Carl. I drilled out the muzzles and they look okay for use. Thanks again for the tip! :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

talk about a speed build - incredible. Looking so good.

Thanks Peter. Not a intentional "speed build", it just happened that way LOL. :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Spitfire said:

Now this is coming along nicely, in the time it would take me to open the box, but it does go quickly when you are enjoying a build.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis:)

• Like 1